Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DIY advice (hi-fi content – fixing speakers to wall)
  • yunki
    Free Member

Good morning sinners.. 😀

I heartily dig listening to well reproduced music and I’d like to be able to share that experience with my 2 pre-school kids..

I’ve kept the nice speakers in the attic for the last few years though, as my lads have not been raised to be seen and not heard, and although they are good kids, they can be rambunctious and I’ve never felt that two 8kg lumps of dense hard object balanced precariously on stands in the corners of the room is a good idea, either for their long term health or for my nerves..

It’s all gotten too much for me now though, our laptop speakers, whilst maybe quite appealing to your average Argos music lover, are ruining my listening enjoyment and I quite honestly believe that they are putting my kids off music..

Sooo.. I’ve picked up a half decent vintage amp from a mate’s attic, and now I need to get these speakers mounted on the wall..
    The problem is the wall is stud and plasterboard..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFifICL3v1s[/video]

I’m thinking that I should build some sort of wooden framework for the shelves using the corners and the ceiling to provide some structural integrity..
    Before you shout at me for putting speakers near the wall… these are technically bookshelf speakers, ported on the underside, and besides.. it’s my only option..

Anyone got any experience of mounting heavy stuff very permanently in plasterboard, or suspending from the ceiling, or advice of any description..
    I am very DIY dyslexic and have zero confidence in my abilities..

messiah
    Free Member

Use the studs in the wall. It will not be pretty as you will have to make the bracket/shelf/whatever straddle a couple of the studs if you want a solid fixture.

Or… in the spirit of STW I suggest you “make the kids house safe, not the house kid safe”.

FWIW – my two boys are now 6 and 7 and for the whole time we have had my speakers blue-tacked to the massive lead shot filled Attacama stands “almost” without incident.

stumpy01

messiah – Member

FWIW – my two boys are now 6 and 7 and for the whole time we have had my speakers blue-tacked to the massive lead shot filled Attacama stands “almost” without incident.

+1. My old Wharfedale Diamond pro’s were stuck to their stands with decent sized blobs of blu-tac. You had to peel them off and it took a lot of effort. You couldn’t just push them off. Get some decent stands you can fill with sand and stick the speakers onto them. They shouldn’t go over very easily. Fingers through the tweeters is perhaps another matter….

br
    Free Member

How heavy are they?

I’ve wall speaker brackets and they needed 4 screws, so just used 10x80mm and brown rawplugs.

You could also run up a plywood sheet, sanded/stained (or painted) and fix that first. Then the brackets to it.

Or just cheat and put them in the corners 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

I thourght speakers were meant to be free standing, and if they are attached to a wall they loose, (or gain) acoustics. They may even make your house fall down.

Clearly this is not very good english, or correct understanding of applied physics.

messiah
    Free Member

Fingers through the tweeters is perhaps another matter….

I keep the covers on 99% of the time and only take them off for serious listening sessions when the kids are away or in bed… which is also when I lift the speakers and stands away from the walls to improve soundstaging. I thought this a better compromise than hiding it all away.

But I am victorian dad and my boys know not to mess with daddys stuff.

29erKeith
    Free Member

no help sorry but one of mates B&W floor standers have recently had the tweeters poked in by his 3 year old daughter and had something small and rattly posted on one of the ports 🙁

messiah
    Free Member

Thinking back when my two were toddling they were not allowed in the “adult” living room. We gave over the dining/family room completely to toys and crap and kept the front room as our sanctuary. Only when they were with us were they allowed in probably saving us from much broken stuff; especially when other kids came round as they were also not allowed in that room.

We still do the same; front living room is a no toy zone. Movies, reading and music only… absolutely no eating.

dannybgoode

If babybgoode goes within 10ft of daddy’s hifi there will be trouble. I ain’t shifting it from the position it took hours to get right…

Cheers

Danny B

yunki
    Free Member

all interesting answers –

Ugly bracketing and or plate attached to studs will be the way forward I think.. perhaps with built in struts off the corner..
    I have a very nice set of purpose made stands but I can’t chance it with my kids, they only have quite thin looking skulls IMO
    Spare front rooms and ten foot exclusion zones are a non-starter in our compact two up two down.. all life takes place in the one room.. including football, wrestling etc

And there is no way on earth I could ever replace a damaged speaker or even tweeter.. we is po’ and these speakers were a gift of fate 😕

messiah
    Free Member

In that case I’ve got ther perfect thing for you… some chimneys that need swept.

Get the kids out of way so you can put the speakers wherever you like :mrgreen:

Ugly functional brackets for the win.

Late reply

The vibration will be disturbing if you have neighbours. Most good speakers are mounted on pins to prevent vibro bleed

yunki
    Free Member

what about something suspended off the the ceiling joists on wires..?

finishthat
    Free Member

Those speakers look too nice/deep/heavy for regular wall mounts and room rugby – think I would just lookout for a secondhand very cheap pair of speakers – charity shop maybe – anything will be better than the laptop

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get some stands that you can screw to the floor.. then screw the speakers to the stands.. if such stands exist??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DIY advice (hi-fi content – fixing speakers to wall)’ is closed to new replies.