Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Divorce, consent order, property buy out – Legal eagles required :)
  • brokenman
    Free Member

Hi all

So as per my previous thread ((Link), i am a regular here but posting under a new name.

my wife and i are getting divorced and require a consent order/ seperation agreement

we have agreed all the financial and assets

1. I will keep the house
    2. I will keep all the debt
    3. I will pay a cash sum to the difference of 1 and 2
    4. Assets have been split

so a few questions
    a. should i instruct a solicitor (£2000) or use and online service (£136) for the divorce and consent order
    b. do we have to sell the house to me eg pay of the joint mortgage with early repayment fees, go through conveyancing ect, or can we just remove a name from the mortgage and deeds ?

tjagain

Binding mediation IMO.

Swelper
    Free Member

May also be worth considering writing on a clean break order into that. Prevents any comeback

poly
    Free Member

A good rule in life is never to rely on legal advice from the internet. If it were that simple there wouldn’t be so many affluent lawyers and it wouldn’t take so long to train.

I think for key legal matters like a divorce involving significant assets and children, that rule extends to not using any dirt cheap online service. £136 is less than an hour of a decent lawyers time. Yes there is a lot of template / boilerplate stuff, but the decisions and wording in that document potentially affect you and your children for the rest of your life. I’d want to get advice from someone I can trust. You can go in and tell “him” what has already been agreed, and that you are looking for a relatively amicable solution – “he” will probably ask questions you’ve not thought about.

willard

Solicitor.

He/she will probably suggest mediation as a first step to formalise the financial separation, then use him/her to submit the forms for decree nisi and financial settlement.

Seriously, for something this important, use a professional. I did, I get my decree nisi in mid-august. Hopefully I’ll be able to sort out the settlement soon after.

lowey

I sorted all our affairs out with the ex and used a cheapo internet job for the divorce and the Consent Order.

You missed off agreed access to the Children. You need to agree that also as it will form part of the divorce.

I found this site very helpful :-

http://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/

Lots of how too’s, explanation of terms, do’s and donts. Well worth a few hours reading.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Divorce, consent order, property buy out – Legal eagles required :)’ is closed to new replies.