Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dividing joint items after a split – determining the value
  • strike
    Free Member

Recently splity with the mrs and now just making up a list of the joint items (TV, washing machine etc). I don’t actually want them/she wants them, so we need to determine the value and then I take 50% of that value.

Being in this situation for the first time I’m uncertain on how to value the items. Go for the split of the original value or go for a split of the current value.

What’s the norm (if there is one) – it’s not amicable enough either that we can discuss this together!

NZCol

We just searched ebay and took an average.

project
    Free Member

ask her mum she will be the one making all the decisions

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

half retail less 10% per annum?

northernmatt

Whatever you do will be wrong anyway.

nealglover
    Free Member

Being in this situation for the first time I’m uncertain on how to value the items. Go for the split of the original value or go for a split of the current value.

Imagine that you will go out and buy a used replacement for each item, and get half of what it will cost you to replace everything she keeps.

What they cost new isn’t relevant, because none of it is new.

scaled
    Free Member

If you can afford it, just walk away, it’s probably <£500 which in the grand scheme of things, probably isn’t worth the agro.

hels
    Free Member

Give them to her. They are just things.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Yup, same as scaled. I just walked away. Took my bikes, records and clothes and that’s all. Not worth the agro

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

double post, idiot.

nealglover
    Free Member

it’s probably <£500 which in the grand scheme of things, probably isn’t worth the agro.

I did the same seven years ago, half of everything in the house we had lived in for almost 10 years was closer to £10k than £500.

Sui
    Free Member

scaled – Member
    If you can afford it, just walk away, it’s probably <£500 which in the grand scheme of things, probably isn’t worth the agro.

Not when you start considering Sofas, Beds, etc – it all adds up rapidly. Trying to furnish a new place from scratch (which you will be) will take a lot.

I’m sure there are items you could do with, which she doesn’t necessarily need/want and vise versa. anyway slight of tangent. b r’s idea seemed sensible, though i’d go 30%, then 10%.

edit beaten..

binners

project – Member

ask her mum she will be the one making all the decisions

This, basically. Glad its not just me project. Well… I’m not glad it happened to you, but you get the idea.

But its much easier to do what scaled suggests. Thats what I did. Took my bikes and some artwork. Its just stuff. Your sanity is more important. Choose your battles.

andyl
    Free Member

Get a chainsaw and cut everything in half – will make you feel better 😈

sobriety
    Free Member

When I split with my ex, I just said, ‘either we sell the lot on ebay and split the money 50/50 or you leave it here as you’re the one doing the splitting up’

IHN

As above, with a slight twist; when me and the former/first MrsIHN split, she was moving out and we were going to agree a price for the stuff she left (again, sofas and the like). In the end she said she didn’t want anything, as any haggling would seem a bit churlish and we wanted to keep the split on good terms.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Take only the stuff that’s *you* (bikes/surfboards/clothes/cds/whatever/etc) and walk away from the shared day to day stuff like sofas, beds, TVs, etc, etc.

Seeing them will just remind you of the relationship at a time when you really don’t need reminding of it.

It’s difficult to get a proper fresh start when you’re still surrounded by your old life.

numbnut
    Free Member

I walked away with just my personal things (stereo, clothes, bikes etc)
    My ex was to continue living in the house until it was sold and I wanted as little disruption for my kids as possible. This was after her having an affair with a colleague and leaving me for him.
    She was kind enough to throw in the spare set of cutlery.

I wasn’t really in a fit state to be arguing negotiating but I don’t regret it a few years down the line. It helped me get a clean break and buy a TV of the size I always wanted!

It was a bit sad on the first night in my new flat sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag though and don’t underestimate how much it costs to re-stock. It’s not just the obvious things but pots and pans, utensils and so on.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies – I’m not actually taking anything joint, just taking the cash!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sore point here, if you can be amicable then half new, otherwise make sure you are not screwed over.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Within reason – half new. One of you has to replace all of the items not being taken with them…….
    Ask the other if they want to sit/sleep/eat off secondhand stuff?…

PiknMix
    Free Member

On the flip side of much of the above, me and my wife have just bought a new house, it’s being furnished with the beautiful furniture I bought with my ex but got to keep as she walked out on me.
    Nice furniture is nice furniture and I don’t look at it and think about my ex, I think crumbs I’m glad I have that to furnish this house as there is no way I could afford to buy it now.

Come out of it with as much as you can is my advice 😉

hora
    Free Member

The only thing I’d take is my favourite sofa. TV etc can be bought agaun and **** keeping the marital bed. A girl at work kept EVERYTHING including the house excrpt pc/stereo. **** that. I’d want a new start not memories.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP just did a similar excersize. We used current values, sensible estimates (whcih generally means a lot less than 1/2 new price). If you cannot agree the formal divorce procedure is to auction them and you divide the proceeds less fees.

I would suggest you do a spreadsheet and she does one and you exchange

Also what @numbut says, re-stocking isn’t cheap so you should balance that out and perhaps you might want some stuff.

jambalaya
    Free Member

double post

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dividing joint items after a split – determining the value’ is closed to new replies.