Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Diversion suprise at Afan
  • superfli
    Free Member

Not nice! Tree felling on Goodwood and Darkside of Whites, means that you have to climb back to top of Skyline and onto the final descent! Granted, I love that final descent, but after doing W2 and expecting to be pretty much downhill from Energy, it was a shocker! Adrenaline pumped and energy shots taken, that final descent is most excellent 🙂 The diversion signs point you back up, but I’m sure you could – if you wanted, take the fireroad down to the top of Jetlag..

crankbreaker

Was up there at the weekend and did the whole of Whites Level on Sunday. Didn’t see any diversions back to Skyline then. Maybe diversions only on weekdays? Or perhaps we shouldn’t have been there!

brakeswithface

There’s a LOT of diversions about at Afan at the moment 🙁

superfli
    Free Member

Yes lots of felling in Afan, all the way up the valley.
    I didnt see any warning signs/notices in Glyncorrwg when we started, and the closure sign looked recently erected. I sort of go the feeling that they had closed them whilst I was somewhere on W2! A bit gutted as my mate who I was taking round, had never been to Afan, so I was hoping to show him the whole of whites+the wall.

colin@rush
    Free Member

Sections of White’s are open on the weekends only at the moment and the local MTB ranger has had to fight for that to happen, good news though is that sections of skyline that have been closed for ages are due to be re-opened in app 4-5 weeks 🙂

hexhamstu
    Free Member
    Twodogs

colin@rush – are you sure about bits of Skyline re-opening? there was a thread on here (and other forums) last week that it is pretty much closed for good, cos they’re building a windfarm

Tim
    Free Member

From this weekend trip to Afan and speaking to a few people:

Skyline is closing for good soon, although not sure when. Possibility of the first 1/3 remaining?

Cafe is due to re-open for Easter

Penhydd is due to re-open ‘sometime this year’

The 4X track wasn’t in a particular great state (s/h knowledge)

The Wall and Whites were all open and good as ever.

Seems to have gone a bit flat there recently, which is sad. Arguments over licences for the Cafe, trail closures…

Still had a bloody fun weekend though 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

It was a surprise to me as my STW “Afan trails section” alert didnt pop up on my phone 🙄 but as you say hexhamstu, it would be nice to inform the riders before they set off.

Both Goodwood and Darkside are to open again end of April (according to the closure sign).

I’d not noticed the 4X track before, but we did it whilst we were there. Yes its a right state, but has a couple of good rock drop offs – got the heart pumping!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Diversion suprise at Afan’ is closed to new replies.