Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ditching front sus and getting carbon forks.
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

My Pipedream Sirius (631) currently has 100-130mm coil Revelations but in all honesty I’m not getting off road as much as I used to and most rides are coastal paths and fire roads so I’m toying with the idea of carbon forks. I like the height running the suss forks at 130mm so what size forks would I need to go for to keep the same height or as close to? Should I be looking at forks specific for 26″ wheels or a little bigger at 650b size? From a quick google it looks like the 26″ forks won’t give me the same height as my current set up. Giz a clue!

boxelder

Measure axle to crown at 130mm (sagged) and choose that length.

everyone
    Free Member

I think 29er forks would give doubt roughly the same height

daveh
    Free Member

25% sag would put you around 475mm a-c. If you’re prepared to give up 5mm then OnOnes monocoques are really good for the pennies (though PX/OnOne are getting a good hauling over the coals by STW atm). 20% sag puts you around 480mm.

nickjb
    Free Member

Put more effort into finding some better routes rather than buying new forks.

brant
    Free Member

New 470mm straight steerer monocoque fork here.
    It’s been a bit of a trial to get the 470mm straight steerer to EN standard strength testing but we are there now.
    We have had a tapered 470 and a straight 450 for a while but the extra 20mm was tough.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOSCF4709/on-one-monocoque-straight-steerer-carbon-fork

scotroutes

Exotic do a complete range of well-regarded carbon forks.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I have some Exotic 29er ones on the Ragley right now. Awesome forks and great value. Roughly the same as running 120 forks angles wise. They do flex nicely and sock up trail chatter buy are pretty tiring on proper trails for any length of time. There was a test of these forks on here somewhere where some bloke had had on-one, some steel forks by someone, some pace carbons and the exotics and he thought the exotics were the best of the bunch. Good price too.

daveh
    Free Member

If you go OnOne you’ll have to take a punt on what they look like, it’s only known to those who’ve purchased… 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

nickjb – Member
    Put more effort into finding some better routes rather than buying new forks.

Unfortunately it’s around 45 mins to anywhere decent from where I live and most of the time I have spare is time I don’t have the car so I like your thinking but just not do-able. Makes more sense to make my bike more road/hybrid esque and enjoy the routes that are easily accessable to me now. (And believe me I’ve tried to convince ‘er indoors to buy me a road bike but that’s a no-no with a sprog on the way in 5 weeks and saving for a new house!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ditching front sus and getting carbon forks.’ is closed to new replies.