Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ditching chain guide on 1×9?
  • andysblacksoul
    Free Member

Having shortened the chain, fitted an unramped ring and perfected the chainline, what else can I do to allow my to remove my chainguide (top guide, Superstar jobby)?

I’ve read here that a short/medium cage rear mech helps (currently running SLX long cage), but does it really make that much difference?

warpcow
    Free Member

Short-cage does make a difference (less leverage, apparently tighter springs), but I personally wouldn’t ditch my guide despite having all the things you’ve listed. Depends on where you ride though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

warpcow+1

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I run a medium cage (i think) LX rear mech, standard Deore middle ring, N gear Jump Stop on the inside and a bashring on the outer. Not had it drop yet (6 months) and thats riding local alpine terrain….. 😛

rOcKeTdOg

Don’t do it. It’s too risky, too many people on here get upset when you make it work and they can’t

Keva
    Free Member

same as him ^^up there^^ but I’m not riding local alpine terrain 🙁

warpcow
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Don’t do it. It’s too risky, too many people on here get upset when you make it work and they can’t

Probably 🙂 The only reason I have such a ‘specific’ setup is that all the bits needed to be replaced anyway at one time or another. The guide came first and definitely made the biggest difference (snappier shifting from the short-cage mech. was also nice). I’m too lazy to get around to trying it without since it works fine as it is. I reckon I could probably get away with just a Jump Stop though.

I paid good money for my E.13 XCX, and no one’s going to tell me it doesn’t serve a purpose (it’s too light to be a paperweight) 😉

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

Well, I only had the occasional drop without it during the winter (night riding) but as soon as it got lighter and drier and therefore a lot faster, it would jump off regularily.

I ride mainly wooded singletrack so bumpy and rooty…

Funny thing is before I fitted the guide, the chain always dropped off the outside not inside.

I’m vain and was hoping to loose the guide and not bother with a bash as it spoils the look of the bike IMO 🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do it then when your chain doesn’t drop off we can all laugh at you for being nimbly and slow. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

See, told you so, envy is a terrible sin

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

OK, guide stays… I’m not spending a load of dosh on a shorter mech just to find I’m not one of the chosen few 🙁

scaredypants

Funny thing is before I fitted the guide, the chain always dropped off the outside not inside

I used to ride a 1×9 mtb on the road. Used to drop the chain (off the outside) about once every 10miles

Why outside ? As I was on the road, i was often on the smaller sprockets

Why dropping the chain at all ? No magic beard 😉

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

I suppose riding faster I’m usually on the outer half of the cassette… Seems logical now.

I do have a beard, but it’s not magic AFAIK, I’ll ask the wife 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ditching chain guide on 1×9?’ is closed to new replies.