Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ditching 1 x 11 for 2 x 10 – how?
  • yoshimi

Currently on X01 on a PF30 BB and DT Swiss 142 x 12 240 rear hub.

Want to swap to 2 x 10.

What will I have to do crankwise – Q factor chainline issues etc. Is it as simple as getting a BB30 crank?

What do I do regarding freehub?

I’ve done some googling but looking for advice from people who have done the same?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

This is not enduro

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll need a new freehub body, shifters, rear mech, cassette, chain, front mech and chainset. Easy!

Re chainset yes, just get a BB30 chainset, or a GXP/HT2 and appropriate adapters.

z1ppy

Went from 1×10 to 2×10, changed my crankset to a tripleset, put on shifter and front mech & was away… you’ll need to change the freehub too (no idea about DT swiss ones)

yoshimi

I’ve got shifters, mechs and cassette – more having a problem finding a freehub body and I still don’t understand the crank thing – can I slap any BB30 crank on there or will I have clearance / chainline issues – do I need spacers and all that malarky?

D0NK

Nah Danny 2×10 is too muuch of a middle ground, you want a 2×9, hey tell you what, swap your X01 DT setup for my xt, slx, hope setup 🙂

Njee sram not doing any 10 speed xd cassettes?

WHat about normal sized 11spd cassettes (11-34/36) so he’d just (!) need f mech f shifter and crankset?

z1ppy

Slap any BB30 (or std with adapter) chainset, I got an unused Sram 1400 off ebay (from a E-13 single ring setup), and just set it up as per the normal instructions.

lowey

Bloody hell, you’ve only just bought the bike.

Why you changing ?

Sounds like your having a bit of a mare with the spesh.

D0NK

more having a problem finding a freehub body and I still don’t understand the crank thing

What model wheel? if it’s a top end job surely it’ll just need a standard dt240 freehub? Won’t a standard bb30 crank fit? BB30 is a standard after all (a shit one but still “standard”)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why don’t you go 2×11 and be teh awsum

njee20
    Free Member

Njee sram not doing any 10 speed xd cassettes?

Nope, 11 speed only.

WHat about normal sized 11spd cassettes (11-34/36) so he’d just (!) need f mech f shifter and crankset?

Don’t exist yet, wait for XTR may be an option, but no idea if cassettes/mechs will play nicely, and not a cheap alternative. Still necessitates a freehub body and that, so not really advantageous.

more having a problem finding a freehub body

Select 9/10 speed, they often seem to be branded as road – even the 11 speed one will fit, you’ll just need a spacer to run 10 speed.

can I slap any BB30 crank on there or will I have clearance / chainline issues – do I need spacers and all that malarky?

Anything you want, no issues with chainline.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I can’t see any reason why 2 x 11 wouldn’t work?
    Keep the mech, cassette.

New chain and chainset, front mech and shifter.

Not sure why you would want to though mind.

yoshimi

Lowey – the bike rides like a dream BUT press fit BBs suck **** and X01 is the most finicky thing I’ve every dealt with.

It’s getting a Hope PF30 put in it as we speak and as I’ve got my old XTR stuff hanging around so I’m just wondering how easy a transplnt would be.

My Five running XTR never missed a beat with 3 years of heavy abuse – god I miss that simplicity!

njee-forgive my stupidness but will that freehub directly swap over or will I need anything else, I’m looking at hte fact it comes with 9mm QR cap

Understand the crank now tho – thanks for that

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t see any reason why 2 x 11 wouldn’t work?
    Keep the mech, cassette.

My guess (and it’s just that) is that the mech’s not been designed to take up any slack at the front, and won’t like the cross chained combinations at all.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Take one off the back and put it on the front! Simples

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

My guess (and it’s just that) is that the mech’s not been designed to take up any slack at the front

Yup, the design of the mech relies on only using one ring to keep the b-tension setting right as it varies with the angle of the mech arm.

Speeder

Sounds like the best bet would be go 2×11 or buy a new bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like the best bet would be go 2×11 or buy a new bike.

You can try it certainly, but I don’t think that’ll be a hugely viable alternative, it’s a bodge, and when it wears out you still have an extortionate cassette to replace. I’d be selling the 11 speed stuff whilst it still has a lot of residual value and buying 10 speed. May even get someone who wants to swap.

dai21t
    Free Member

Where have you had a hope pf30 bb from? I emailed them regarding them regarding these last week, said they had nothing available at the moment, currently being developed and will be released in the next few months.

[quoteHi, we are working on one that works with Shimano and Sram cranks at the moment and it should be available in a couple of months.[/quote]

yoshimi

Mines from Leisure Lakes Preston, had to wait about 3 weeks for it, I know they are very new – I’ve had a running commentary – last update was last week when they were getting etched – came in to LL yesterday

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1) Post me the XO1 I’ll PPGift you some beans
    2) What they said 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ditching 1 x 11 for 2 x 10 – how?’ is closed to new replies.