• This topic has 27 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • District 9
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

Bit behind the times but just watched this. I thought it was fantastic! Couldn't quite put my finger on what it was reminding me of till I saw peter Jackson in the credits. Back to sick "bad taste" humour whilst also being compelling actiony stuff too.

For some reason I kept expected the two flight of the Concorde people to pop up and start singing too…..

BigDummy
    Free Member

Agreed. Really entertaining stuff. 😀

nasher
    Free Member

Ace film

made all the better that it was shot in Jo burg other than america.

The accents for some reason helped make the film

vondally
    Free Member

brillant subversive film…………is there a sequel planned??

nuke

is there a sequel planned??

Well the whole "I'll be back in 3 years" kind of hinted at one…District 10?

Saw on Monday for the first time myself…enjoyed it but, because of the hype, it didn't quite meet my expectations. It was good, just not great.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I thought that the accents made the "racism" a bit more believable, but then that probably says more about my upbringing in the '80s and my own prejudices than anything else.

is there a sequel planned??

I do hope not.

munkster
    Free Member

Ordered it on Amazon the other day £7.88 seemed like a barg. Despatched today, looking forward to it!

billybob
    Free Member

i enjoyed it, the first film in ages that had a scene I had to watch through my fingers…

The only thing I couldn't quite get round was as soon as they start swearing their accents suddenly seem to turn Scottish…

Free Member

hmm… I had a demo of some bits of the film at a high-end home cinema last year and was blown away by it, watched it again and it felt a little anticlimatic, however, I quite enjoyed it… I thought the alien's voice/speach was excellent, the ship rising up was excellent… just a shame I don't have £15k projector!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

A fantastic film which has been forgotton about because of the likes of Avatar etc. I liken to a cross between Predator and The Office…only cos the guy reminds me of the actor from the American office.
    One word….Foook!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

There must not be a sequel. The feeling of queasy dread about them coming back in the journalist's last talking head piece is brilliant. 🙂

PeteG55
    Free Member

Excellent, was thinking about renting this out over the weekend. Seems like you guys would recommend it.

Alek
    Free Member

When I rented this out, I had avoided all 'hype' and was watching it completely 'cold'. No idea on how the film was shot/actos/story line….nowt.

First half of the film and I'm thinking this could be a turkey!

But way before half way things started to 'come together' and was absolutely hooked by the end. Accents were the making of it (and the prawns 🙂 ) well worth another watch.

Andituk
    Free Member

I want to watch this, but I've not seen the first 8, will I still enjoy it?

hels
    Free Member

Wow what a fantastic idea, the sequel definitely needs Bret and Jemaine !

el_boufador

Brilliant film! Along with 'let the right one in' it's easily one of the best new films I have seen in the past few years.

I'm not normally a sci-fi fan – I find it hard to suspend my disbelief. However there's something compellingly believable about district 9 – I think I know what it is but I'm not going to say as it may spoil it.

Northwind

I really enjoyed it, coolest aliens in film for a very long time. A bit silly, obviously, but still very well done.

footflaps

Great film, the cast just reminds me of work – the Racism is spot on (we have an SA office and I'm off to Lagos next week)

Prawns the lot of them 😉

nasher
    Free Member

Brilliant film! Along with 'let the right one in' it's easily one of the best new films I have seen in the past few years.

Is there an english version…the Swedish was very creepy and very real, the scene in the swimming pool was excellent.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Thought District 9 was a welcome return to 'proper' SciFi. The antithesis of the usual Hollywood overproduced underdeveloped slop.

You lot should download Alive in Joburg.

It's an open source movie short that District 9 grew from. Thought it was very good.

I might end up using 'prawn' as my insult of choice. Or maybe not…

mrvear
    Free Member

Just watched Alive in Jobrg. It is fantastic.

sofaking
    Free Member

great film.
    looks like the director fancies a prequel rather than a sequel
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/district-9-prequel%5D

rooty
    Free Member

i agree, awesome film. Took my girlfriend to see it in the cinema as didnt really know anything about it. She hated it and curled up and went to sleep during it. I loved it. When it came out on DVD i bought it, watched it once then she gave it away to her brother-in-law saying 'i'm not having that in the house it scares me!'

monkey_boy
    Free Member

I liken to a cross between Predator and The Office.

PMSL!

it was indeed a great film, not many films these days take a different view

sputnik
    Free Member

I also saw D9 only a couple of weeks ago. Loved it. Well made movie. Good blend of realism and special effects. Liked the Wikus character, a anti-hero of sorts, and the accents made me feel like I was back home again. Was a hoot to hear 'Fok!' said right 🙂
    Not to sure if I am in favour of a sequel…

mtbfix

Great movie. Tinkerbelle's Dad is coming over from SA in the summer and has requested a copy. It was, he tells us, banned in SA.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

It wasn't banned in SA, it was banned in Nigeria.

The Director has hinted that he'd like to do another one, but I believe he's got other plans first.

A fantastic film, not sure if it needs a sequel though.

Olly
    Free Member

bought it last weekend
    not watched it yet.
    looking forward 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘District 9’ is closed to new replies.