Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Distorted vision after exercise
  • toby1

Just been for a slow lunchtime run (8k), trying to make it a base training run. Felt fine through the run if a little thirsty.

Back at my desk now and have a weird distortion in my vision, best way I can describe it is like sun spots, I can sort of see round it to see what I’m reading but it’s really odd.

Had this once or twice before, but not often. Any ideas or should I just contact the funeral director?

Will I die?

🙂

teef
    Free Member
    hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I get this every now and again after cycling.
    ODD isn’t it.

martinhutch

Blood sugar low would be my guess. Or herpes.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Vitreous humor is made of collagen, a transparent jelly-like material that over time becomes less solid and more liquid. It contracts and forms clumps that float freely inside the eye and are seen as dark spots, or floaters, moving in your field of vision. They are more common as you age. Any activity, such as rapidly moving your eyes to look at something, can stir up these gel clumps and make floaters more noticeable. Exercise that involves pronounced head movements, such as jogging and trampoline jumping, can have the same effect.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/290017-eye-floaters-exercise/
    You’re just old with snowglobes for eyes 🙂

footflaps

Almost certainly Cat Aids and not the good type either.

peterfile
    Free Member

Any idea what your BP is?

A mate has low BP and sometimes gets funny vision when exercising.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be migraine, but have you seen an optician lately?

toby1

Or herpes.

Cat Aids and not the good type either

I’m doomed! And thanks for the concern 😉

@slowoldgit – I had a checkup just a few months ago, tend to have them yearly.

I also googled around a bit, whilst looking out of the good part of my eyes. I suspect either blood sugar or blood getting back up to the head and into the eyes are likely.

Admittedly it’s been a couple of years since my last blood pressure check but not too much has changed physically, still heavy and still exercise quite a lot so a look like a high blood pressure candidate (but I was totally within normal bounds before). With lower pressure I’d associate some dizziness, but I bent over to stretch before and still felt fine.

Sarnie, banana and a shower later and all seems back to normal. Perhaps longer runs after a couple of glasses of champagne aren’t the best idea (work celebration breakfast thing and my own perverse interest in whether it’d have much effect).

Cheers all!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

or blood getting back up to the head and into the eyes are likely.

The blood drains out of your head and eyes when you’re doing exercise?!? 🙂

From my experience migraine aura seems the most likely explanation for distorted vision. They vary so much that do a google images search for ‘migraine aura’ to see if any corresponds with what you experience.

Migraines usually occur during the winding-down period after a stressful situation (not during the stressful situation) post-exercise I guess would fit into that.

If it’s now cleared up it won’t be floaters, it takes a long time before you stop noticing new floaters.

cokie

I get this when I’m carb cycling and am on low carbs.
    I also often get light headed. Nasty. I assume it’s blood sugars being too low.

Solo
    Free Member

Distorted vision after exercise

Get dressed and go ride your bike instead.
    😉

ittaika
    Free Member

i get this now and again after a long ride ir gym session and find a can of coke works wonders so maybe it’s a lack of sugary goodness.

SaxonRider

Hey! Don’t you go stealing my thread!

It’s only a few days old! 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

find a can of coke works wonders so maybe it’s a lack of sugary goodness.

Personally I would put my money on the caffeine, although possibly a combination of sugar and caffeine.

stick_man

OP I get something very similar to what you are describing and have done over the past 14 years or so. It happens only rarely, maybe once every 3 months. I used to get it sometimes after a lunchtime game of 5 a side, or any really hard activity.

Symptoms for me are – firstly some sun spots / blind spots, then over the next few mins a full on arc of flashing light develops and tends to last about 30 mins. Apart from the arc I can see normally, and get a very mild headache at the same time.

Never actually had it diagnosed but having done a bit of research I think in my case it’s migraine aura. Your may be caused by something different of course.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Distorted vision after exercise’ is closed to new replies.