Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Distinctive bits nicked, Edinburgh- you never know (and heads up for locals)
  • Northwind

If anyone spots absolutely brand new WTB Frequency i29 29er rims on used DT240S white hubs for sale, or a 170mm reverb with no hose or lever, could you give me a shout? My enormous anchor chain stopped them taking the bikes but they still took these. (on the plus side, if anyone tries to ride on the front wheel they’re going to die, it’s true but has no tension, I just assembled it!)

Obviously pro thieves, they took the most valuable, easiest to move items- they undid the bolted seatclamp and tore the Reverb right out of the frame, and seem to have pinched my 4mm allen key too. Which is annoying because I’ve had that for damn nearly 20 years.

And yeah, general Be Careful Out There, we’re in Currie and we think we got cased about 2 weeks ago, neighbour spotted someone “getting their ball back from the garden”- really lucky, I got paranoid and upped my security after that!

scaredypants

(on the plus side, if anyone tries to ride on the front wheel they’re going to die, it’s true but has no tension, I just assembled it!)

one can only hope

stroke of luck on the neighbour’s warning though – what are you going to do for next time (presumably they saw a garage full of other stuff) ?

(I’ll be sure to post if anything pops up in Southampton)

Northwind

Right now the valuable bikes are elsewhere but tbh nothing else to do in the longer run but put them back, keep securing them, and trust in insurance really. I already had a cheap shed alarm and IP camera on the way but short of rebuilding the garage or getting a pet wolf I don’t think we can make it theft proof.

But then we’ve been here for years and never had any problems before so, just need to avoid going mad really.

Also, just ordered a Bikeyoke 185mm dropper to replace the Reverb 😆

NZCol

Thanks for the warning, in Colinton so not far away. Seems to go in runs, Bonaly was last target

Northwind

Just another thing to add, also took my BMC Trailfox TF03 29er frame in blue and black with CCDB-Air CS. It has a “glentress mincer” team sticker on it, if they’re daft enough not to remove that before trying to sell, and had a black hope seatclamp fitted and nonstandard bolt-through rear axle. Pretty distinctive.

Kahurangi

I’ll keep an eye out on the North East England FB buy & sell pages

zinaru
    Free Member

op – otherside of the pentlands from you but will keep my eyes peeled.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ll keep my eyes peeled. I haven’t heard anything from police about my theft from Polwarth but they certainly seem to target specific areas and know they’re stuff.

Sorry to hear you got done!

himupstairs

Shan times.
    I live near to and cycle through drylaw/pilton everyday, so although not local, I wouldn’t be surprised. I’ll keep an eye out.

poah
    Free Member

what anchor chain are you using?

spev

Check everywhere not just local or near vicinity.
    My mates bikes were stolen from Swansea, found one being sold on eBay in Bognor Regis, he had a couple of bikes I recognised from a robbery in Thetford. He’s still trading on eBay as well, highly suspicious.

Northwind

Cheers folks! Really not expecting to recover anything and anyway, it’ll be the insurer’s property but the police went right through it with places to keep an eye open, and really detailed descriptions and photos of the identifiable stuff so that was pretty good (they couldn’t care less about the reverb but they liked the wheel and frame; they’re both boringly unique, not so obviously unique that a thief won’t try and shift them, but 100% tracable…

No fun though!

poah – Member

what anchor chain are you using?

Not an amazing one tbh- a mammoth 12mm chain and target alarm padlock. Not up on the almax/pragmasis level, I reckon you could split it fairly easily with the right tools, but it’s big enough to impress. And it did the job apparently.

daern
    Free Member

I like the idea of leaving wheels untensioned to piss tea-leaves off. Shame it makes that spontaneous evening ride a little trickier… 😉

poah
    Free Member

Not an amazing one tbh- a mammoth 12mm chain and target alarm padlock. Not up on the almax/pragmasis level, I reckon you could split it fairly easily with the right tools, but it’s big enough to impress. And it did the job apparently

wanted to be in and out quick then. what was it anchored too?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

what was it anchored too?

His fatbike*

*Sorry Northy!

Northwind

Close Nobeer! In a strange twist of fate, my motorbike is now a ground anchor 😆 I’ve built it into a workbench so it’s immovable, and the chain loops around the frame. There’s actually an old Oxford ground anchor in behind it somewhere but this does the same job, you can’t get the bike out without some serious furniture removal.

There’s other security but, not going to post about that on the internet

jamj1974

Sorry to hear that Northwind. Arseholes!

rOcKeTdOg

Keeping them peeled in Moffat

alangrozier
    Free Member

im still missing my stolen arkose, will keep eyes peeled around edinburgh

Northwind

A followup! Police just returned the wheel, and I never mentioned here but we got hit again 2 weeks after and the replacement dropper got nicked! Just got that back too. They’ve charged a local who’s tied to about 20 thefts around this area, plus I’m sure a load of minor ones at Heriot-Watt that nobody’s bothered to report, he matches that description too.

So he’s still out there and quite likely still nicking stuff but they’ve already recovered a bunch and their next stop after my positive ID was to go round and clear out his house and garage- we don’t have a name but if you do get anything nicked locally that feels like a “bike person” rather than just someone clearing out sheds, it’s being handled at Oxgangs nick and they might link them all together. (I don’t think he’s travelled far though)

We’ve come out of it fairly well, really, got a ridiculous payout from the insurance (without even having to argue or make up that they stole our Da Vinci or anything, they just went “here, have more money than you asked for”) but still, it’s nice to know it’s going somewhere.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Happy days! Gives me hope I might still get some good news on mine. Had 2 thefts this year too, once locked up outside the pub and 2nd one from home.

Almost had a 3rd one but caught the scrotes at it outside the pub again.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled. I haven’t heard anything from police about my theft from Polwarth but they certainly seem to target specific areas and know they’re stuff.

I missed this thread before and just seen this. My 2nd one was from Polwarth in August, what about you?

Tracey

That’s a great result. Still not had any news on our stuff even though we had the lads on CCTV and identified them keep coming back.
    On another note how did you get on with the Bikeyoke dropper post as I need a longer post for my Enduro and it’s the possible contender

ehrob

Another Edinburgh incident to report.

Mates (quite well secured) shed broken into last night. Three mountain bikes taken, all chained together. Telford Road/Western General area.

Bikes have been recovered – police found the thieves dragging them along the nearby cycle path, presumably having been tipped off by someone who’d seen them and decided it was probably dodgy.

So a good result this time but these idiots will no doubt be back in circulation before too long.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Northwind

@Tracey, so far it’s been great- it got a good test out in Molini including some proper crashing, I had to do the “revive” thing after each flight and I think only once otherwise. I’m a big fan of the longer drop so I’ve even got a 170mm Reverb in the fatbike now 😆 The extra 15mm’s not as big a deal as the 150mm to 170mm but it’s still good. I can’t fit a Fall Line in the bike.

But, it is absurdly expensive tbh, basically twice the price of a 170mm reverb!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

North glad to hear.

Can I ask who your insurers are .. good to know for next time.

Northwind

Churchill. Not cheap I don’t think (I don’t choose the insurance) but they’ve been rock solid on every claim we’ve ever made. I believe they do have a £500 limit per bike which is a problem

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Distinctive bits nicked, Edinburgh- you never know (and heads up for locals)’ is closed to new replies.