Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Distance selling legislation
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’m interested in buying a new motorbike from a dealer a few hundred miles away from me. They say they can arrange delivery, but because of distance selling legislation they can’t sell the bike to me unless they see me in person at least once. Is this normal?

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you go and see them, doesn’t that mean it will no longer be distance selling and you won’t have the extra protection that the legislation gives you?

winston
    Free Member

yes its normal – same when I bought a car recently. It was no bother for me as I planned to collect it and drive it home but I assume it means you are no longer covered by distance selling which quite frankly is a nightmare for retailers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

What is this distance selling legislation you speak of? It’s the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

tjagain

Yes they are doing this to protect themselves – so you are not able to reject the bike for no reason once its delivered. That would be a significant cost to them.

I don’t think it unreasonable from them

trail_rat
    Free Member

its the norm.

My dad was the same when buying his new motorbike.

They took a deposit but he had to go see it before they would arrange the paperwork.

Of course by that point he just rode it home 😀

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks. I’d just not heard of that being done before, and it’s too far for me to travel.

I’ve just discovered a used bike for sale 150 miles from home, so I’m probably going to go for that one.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Interested to see how they can seeing as loads offer nationwide delivery from £99, etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Distance selling legislation’ is closed to new replies.