• This topic has 31 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brack.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Disrespectful news coverage. !!
  • brack
    Free Member

Do we really need to see the body bags on the train? With bystanders clearly covering there noses because of the smell!!

These are peoples loved ones. !!! FFS

Cougar

I walked through a graveyard the other day, and I couldn’t believe it; hundreds of people just stuck in the ground, with headstones lying around for all to see! And loads of people just walking around on top of them!

I take your point, but is censorship peferable? Does it do us any good to pretend it didn’t happen? There was a warning issued on the news before they showed the footage.

brack
    Free Member

Absolutely no correlation between the two scenarios !

Think about it !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^Classy^

Suggsey
    Free Member

If people don’t see the real world, people don’t believe it happens or bury their heads IMHO.

legend
    Free Member

brack – Member
    MORON

Way to kill your own discussion.

Cougar

Ad hominem in three, what do I win?

thegreatape
    Free Member

The argument, for a start.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Brack – The fact is that the bodies have been dealt with disrespectfully by leaving them to decompose, and the Rebels delaying the process of removal. The news is just conveying this.

brack
    Free Member

I apologise for using that term. I really do !

Cougars post just really annoyed me.. On the back of feeling upset about the images I’d just seen.

Again

Sorry

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I agree the coverage has been too intrusive and at times disrespectful. Public interest is a great excuse for unpleasant media behaviour.

Cougar

Fuggeddaboudit.

Sticks and stones might break my bones, but don’t let that give you any ideas.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Legend, thanks for quoting there. Makes my post make sense.

Drac

Brack – The fact is that the bodies have been dealt with disrespectfully by leaving them to decompose, and the Rebels delaying the process of removal. The news is just conveying this.

This.

BigJohn

Burning – OK
    Letting worms eat them – OK
    Keeping bits for research without telling relatives – Wicked

Never really understood it myself.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I fairly sure that letting worms eat corpses isn’t “OK”. Well not in the UK anyway.

And yes burning is fine but keeping bits for research without telling relatives isn’t, I don’t have any problem understanding that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bigJohn the first two the relatives decide, the last one is done behind their backs

OP as @kimbers said the Sky reporter was much worse. It’s fairly common for journalists to set up photos in situations like this by moving things around so to get the best shot. It’s not the most principled profession to say the least

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I fairly sure that letting worms eat corpses isn’t “OK”. Well not in the UK anyway.

So what happens when you put them in the ground?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They don’t get eaten by worms.

That’s why corpses are either burnt or buried 6 foot deep in the ground – to stop worms eating them, even if they could manage to get inside a coffin. I assume by worms you mean maggots, earthworms don’t have a reputation for eating corpses.

CountZero

That’s why corpses are either burnt or buried 6 foot deep in the ground – to stop worms eating them, even if they could manage to get inside a coffin.

Different with wicker caskets. That’s what I’d like, with a yew tree planted on top. Why worry about ‘worms eating them’ anyway? Once a body is buried, what does it matter which process takes over the breaking down of the corpse?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why worry about ‘worms eating them’ anyway?

Because people don’t like the mortal remains of their loved ones to be eaten by maggots.

Presumably you don’t agree with the sentiments behind the original post with regards to being “disrespectful” to the dead ?

And btw it wouldn’t be “different with wicker caskets”. Flies still couldn’t lay their eggs 6 foot deep in the ground, nor would earthworms go that deep either.

Cougar

I’m certain that that’s the salient point of this discussion.

nealglover
    Free Member

Do we really need to see the body bags on the train? With bystanders clearly covering there noses because of the smell!!

We don’t need to no.

But it doesn’t do any harm to bring home the reality of what’s happened, and stop people being detached from it and not caring.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s an interesting moral issue being a journalist. The Killing Fields comes to mind – as a journalist do you help people in the aftermath of a bomb blast or take pictures?

Regarding disrespectful news coverage, how do the bodybags compare to showing footage of people dying of malnutrition in refugee camps?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But it doesn’t do any harm to bring home the reality of what’s happened, and stop people being detached from it and not caring.

I think the OP’s point was concerning the effect on the family and friend of the deceased, not the effect on Joe Public, hence his comment : These are peoples loved ones. !!! FFS

It is generally accepted that sensitivity to the needs of the families and friends of the deceased takes precedence over the public need to know. Which is why the names of the deceased aren’t released until relatives have been informed. Treating the feelings of relatives as a priority seems sensible imo.

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

The fact you’ve got upset about it is good really and just shows your compassion. Hopefully others will be upset too and people pressure on their governments to stand up to Putin to force a peaceful resolution to the conflict. If people didn’t see then (probably even worse) attrocities will go unnoticed by the wider world.

I’m not normally a fan of the media’s voyeuristic nature but in this case I think its justified. Still horrible for friends and families of course.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As a family member or friend of someone killed I would be glad of the news coverage.

Bodies start to do horrible things when just left, I guess ignorance is bliss, but that’s how it is unfortunately.

Putin was being ineffective in getting it sorted, and so was the west to some degree, so the media is right to bring it out in the open. There is nothing more that politicians hate than bad press, and that didn’t look good on Putin

project
    Free Member

If we have a major plane crash or train crash with multiple fatalaties in the uk and ones sure to happen , wonder if sky and bbc will be there filming the remains of the victims, showing all their personael possesions so they may be identified by relatives, and even ringing relatives for interviews.

Just goulish pathetic reporting showing no respect for the dead and peoples families.

traildog
    Free Member

If the worms eat the bodies, then the ducks will eat the worms and then people will eat the ducks!

I sort of agree with the original post up to a point but also think this is to do with the type of media. I generally listen to the news on the radio and read about it in the paper/internet. I can do without such graphic images in my life to be honest. I can understand some people need/want those images for it to be real for them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Newsnight last night had:

Recently dead woman hit by shrapnell from a Ukranien rocket on a civilian appartment block (that’s the governments rocket on a building in a sepratist city).

A video of a palestinian teenager being shot in the hand by a Israeli sniper, who a few seconds later finished him off while the reporter was 15ft away.

It’s not uncommon to report those pictures on mainstream TV, they’re just usualy not on the primetime news.

brack
    Free Member

It was mainly the inclusion of images emphasising the bad smell that was emitting from the corpses.

Just a dimension that if I were a relative would find deeply upsetting and unnecessary .

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Disrespectful news coverage. !!’ is closed to new replies.