Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • "Disrectional" bank holiday for Will's and Kate's wedding…????
  • rockhopper70

Can’t see my employer offering us the day off. Can a bank holiday be discretional?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course

You have a legal entitlement to 28 days holiday a year – usualy consisting of 20 days leave and 8 bh.

Your contractual entitlement may be higher thatn this

without legislation tho any holiday for a royal wedding is purely discretionary – and you don’t think a Tory Gov will give you more holidays at your employers expense do you?

LMT
    Free Member

They have to give you a bank holiday but they can move them a little, like christmas day and boxing day, our bank holiday was 25th and 27th, while others had 27th and 28th, New years day was 1/1 while again others moved it to the monday. All depends who you work for??

Forgot to add, where ive worked ive seen the allowance for next year as we have started planning holidays.

mrmo
    Free Member

put it like this, police, fire, nurses etc all have to work bank holidays.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Think how much it would cost for every public servant to have an extra day off. In light of the spending cuts I wonder how you could justify it. In light of that and of course my bleeding-heart leftism I’m not really fussed about it.

[edit] mr mo, in the NHS we get the day off later on if we work a bank holiday. Or I work my usual hours for that week regardless of whether there are none, one or two bank holidays in a week and then have them added onto my leave entitlement for the year.

br
    Free Member

Eh, what all of them?

Stop talking rubbish, they work ‘shifts’ – and like all shift-workers, some years you win, and others you loose.

julianwilson
    Free Member

br, I edited my post whilt you were typing yours. In the NHS you come out the same in hours over the year regardless, and get paid about two thirds extra if your day ‘on’ happens to be a bank holiday.

rockhopper70

…just to clarify…I won’t be draped in bunting on the big day. Just wondering how many of my floating days I need to use for a full two weeks off as the Monday of that week is Easter Monday, the following Monday is Mayday bank holiday.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m trying to work out the relevance of that comment………….are you saying that if the police, fire-fighters, and nurses, work on Will’s and Kate’s wedding day, it will mean that it is a bank holiday ?

hora
    Free Member

I don’t understand why it is classed as a BH if I’m honest. Is it a sweetner to win over the masses ‘for the future’?

Are they really that popular?

I was amazed at the arrangements for holidays this Christmas- did we really need those extra days awarded?

mrmo
    Free Member

what i am saying is that just because it is a bank holiday why do you expect to have the day off? as for nurses, not all nurses work in the nhs and i know nurses who don’t get paid overtime, don’t get time in leu to cover working sundays, bank holidays etc. i am guessing some retail workers will be working. Plenty of shift workers will be working because their rotas mean they have too. Depends on the job and the employer whether they give you the day off.

rockhopper70

Well, I’m in insurance so financial services where bank hols are shut downs.

druidh
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I was amazed at the arrangements for holidays this Christmas- did we really need those extra days awarded?

What extra holidays?

rockhopper70

I think refers to christmas day and boxing day off in leua, lieue, loo.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Why have any holidays at all, we can just work till we die, your employers must love you with that attitude

mrmo
    Free Member

Why have any holidays at all, we can just work till we die, your employers must love you with that attitude

Why shouldn’t we return to indentured labour, Sundays off so you can go to church to be told you should be grateful for the generosity of your masters allowing you to work 20hours a day. Bring back third class train travel. the servants entrance for housing.

druidh
    Free Member

No “extra” days then – just the usual?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

just because it is a bank holiday why do you expect to have the day off?

😕 Because that’s the definition of a bank holiday ….. a legal holiday where non-essential work ceases, ie, people have the day off.

What’s your definition of a bank holiday then ?

druidh
    Free Member

An additional day when the Banks close and no financial transactions are put through the clearing systems.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – “Bank” Holidays and Public Holidays are not necessarily the same thing.

psling
    Free Member

According to ACAS:

“There is no law that says you must have paid leave on public holidays. Any right to paid time off for such holidays depends on the terms of your contract. If your contract doesn’t specify this, the right to paid leave may have built up at your company through custom and practice. Your employer can make you take public holidays from your 5.6 weeks’ holiday entitlement under the Working Time Regulations 1998.

Public holidays include bank holidays, holidays by Royal Proclamation and ‘common law holidays’. When the Christmas and New Year period covers a weekend, alternative week days are declared public holidays.’

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apparently……. (in Britain) any of several weekdays on which banks are closed by law and which are observed as national holidays

Anyone want to argue about whether it’s really a holy day ?

😐

jumping_flea
    Free Member

My company (A German one) has decided to give us the day off as an additional bank holiday.

They took a month or so to decide. However I don’t really give a damn about the royals, so I will either be riding, or opt to do a Standby for a bit of double time and a day off when I want it 🙂

Eric_S
    Free Member

We have been given the day off by my employer. Now I just have to find out if the local council are planning on giving the Schools another day off, currently 2 weeks holiday before the long easter weekend and the May day Holiday and now the possible wedding day. Hardly worth sending you children to school or attending work for 4 weeks.
    I can then decide if I will be Biking or taking a round the world trip!

druidh
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Apparently……. (in England, Wales and Northern Ireland) any of several weekdays on which banks are closed by law and which are observed as national holidays

T.FTFY.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

FTFY

Thanks.

Coyote
    Free Member

I don’t (officially) work weekends. There were no “extra” holidays. What is your point caller?

Drac

Well it’ll be an extra 3 hours with the possibility if another 7.5 hours if I’m working holiday entitlement for me which I can use when I want.

In the NHS you come out the same in hours over the year regardless, and get paid about two thirds extra if your day ‘on’ happens to be a bank holiday.

2/3? 50% more for the shift but ours is done as an average so we get an extra 25% on our per month for unsocial hours. Be interesting with this as it’s additional to a normal year.

rockhopper70

My employer has announced today that they are giving us the day off..very very surprised.

Trekster

my shifts are 12hr ones but we will “only” be getting 8hrs same as day workers 🙄
    Someone may have to cover a saturday night shift for me from 10pm 😈

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘"Disrectional" bank holiday for Will's and Kate's wedding…????’ is closed to new replies.