Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Dispute with hosuemates (one for the moral amongst you)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Housemate A provided a TV for the lounge, its was his TV, from his room in our previous house.

Housemate A barely watches any TV.

Housemates B and C watch a moderate ammount of TV, PS3 etc. We all have jobs and better things to do at the weekends.

Housemate B met his new missus in October, she lived in her own house localy and so they probably spent >50% of their time there. He effectively moved out to live with her in May, maybe spending 2-3 nights in the house since then, but still paid rent/share of the bills etc at the house.

Housemate C has a TV in his room and probably watches as much TV up there as he does downstairs.

Last week whilst moving his stuff out housemate B put a DVD on and left a friends kids and the missus infront of the TV while he and his mate moved his stuff out in mates Volvo.

TV stoped working, they (everyone appart from housemate A) were all in the room at the time, no one was anywhere near it, the sound just stoped working and was replaced with what sounds like an earth fault, you can still hear it, but theres a low frequency white noise over it.

The TV is 14 months old. A Samsung 32" LCD, cost arround £330 or so. And housemate A thinks that B and C should bear the cost of replacement as he's hardly watched the thing.

What would you do if you were A, B or C?

I'm not telling you which ones me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think your'e A.

uplink
    Free Member

A – accept that TVs break – and are often beyond economical repair these days

B – move out & forget about it

C – realise it's his turn to buy a telly

scotia
    Free Member

its was is his TV

If something i paid for breaks i replace it, but thats just me.

ziggy
    Free Member

No, it's one of those trick questions like you used to get at school, there is no right answer, just sit there and cross your arms looking smug.

The sensible answer is that why on earth would B and C contribute? The TV was there so they watched, what should they have done bought another of their own to watch? A was happy to leave it there for all to use so don't see the issue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Few more details, C thinks they should go halves on a repair bill as he still has to live with A, B has essentially told A to go back to the shop he got it from and pusue them as in his oppinion B and C had nothing to do with the TV going wrong and thinks the repair bill will be more than the TV's probably worth.

large418
    Free Member

what's the manufacturer warranty? If 2 years (some are), then go through that route. If not, arm wrestle at dawn for it

project
    Free Member

I think A stands for A….le,

and personallyi would blame D, who sneakily set a time delay device in the tv, just so Band C could get the blame for A, tv not working.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nobody's fault.

A bears the cost him/herself.

A put the TV in "public" area so what does he expects?

If A wants to put the blame to others then s/he should not put the TV in the public area in the first place.

😯

spooky_b329

A put TV in living room, should not expect any payment as it was his/her choice to share it.

Spent £500 on my 32" just over two years ago, last month it started tripping the RCD every time you turn it on. Life's a bitch and stuff breaks 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A to pay. B and C to give a contribution if they are decent chaps

psychle
    Free Member

one for the moral amongst you

Should be no lack of them on here! 😉

what's the manufacturer warranty? If 2 years (some are), then go through that route

Almost certainly will be under warranty, and even if it isn't, then pretty sure EU regs mean that you should be covered anyway (I think electronic things are covered up to 2 years, something to do with reasonable life or somesuch?)

So A should get in touch with whomever he/she bought it from (if he's the original purchaser!) Failing that, get in touch with the manufacturer…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Pretty much what ziggy said. If B or C or someone connected with them had actually broken it that would be different, but if it just stopped working properly of it's own accord then it's just one of those things. I could see how A might reasonably think it's C's turn to provide a TV for common use, but I don't see that anyone really owes A anything.

RichPenny
    Free Member

If A hardly watches TV, and C mainly watches TV in the bedroom, why bother to replace it. Oh and it should be covered under warranty.

taxi25
    Free Member

Once A put TV in lounge he accepts its for communal use. B and C accept this and use it even on a limited basis. Surely if any communal item breaks the repair bill should be split by A,B and C.

falkirk-mark

Well if A hardly watched the telly why should he buy a new one, however if a new telly is bought and A has not contributed then he would have no claim over tv

highclimber
    Free Member

Who pays for the TV licence? if 'A', then he should not have to pay for the repairs/replacement
    if B or C then I think he [A] should

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Leeeeegally….

Unless there was any form of contract of use entered into by the various parties when the TV was placed in the communal area, then B and C aren't liable for a penny. If A gave them permission to use the TV at any time, then tough titty. Shit, as they say in Paraguay and various other places on Earth, Happens.

Mooooorallly….

TV died of 'natural causes'. No-one did anything deliberate or otherwise, to bring about it's demise. Yet another example of how shittily built stuff is these days, sadly. Flatmate A should have got household insurance, if they haven't already.

CASE DISMISSED.

Next case M'lud, the defendant is accused of Crimes Against Humanity, following being caught riding a Fixie.

GUILTY! THE DEFENDANT SHOULD BE TAKEN FROM HERE TO A PLACE OF EXECUTION WHERE HE WILL BE HUNG BY THE NECK UNTIL HE BE DEAD!!!!!!

But M'Lud…

CONTEMPT OF COURT! 5 YEARS HARD LABOUR!

Ahhhh……

jon1973
    Free Member

It's A's TV, down to him in my opinion.

Who pays for the TV licence? if 'A', then he should not have to pay for the repairs/replacement
    if B or C then I think he [A] should

Don't see why it makes a difference who pays the licence. What if it's shared by all three?

bassspine
    Free Member

the defendant is accused of Crimes Against Humanity, following being caught riding a Fixie.

so what did he do after he was caught that was so terrible?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh don't start I'm too tired.

I think I'll have a little lie down. It's hard work, sending people down all the time.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

if its only sound, can you not run sound through some pc speakers, that is unless you use the tuner which it wont work for, i have sky and dvd player connected like that.

Tiger6791

Has nobody considered Hosuemate E?

Hosuemates E pays no rent and watches telly when everybody isn't there, he also likes to take the telly to bits and saves 'spare' screws in a jar.

He also does things to your mouth when your asleep.

cranberry
    Free Member

The TV belongs to A and he put it in a shared room presumably to be used by all. It's still his TV and he should get it fixed if he wants to keep it/use it.

If it can't be fixed/replaced under warranty then a bit of cash from B and C each would be the nice thing to do.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Housemate F returns home to find jam in the mute button on the remote

SkillWill
    Free Member

GUILTY! THE DEFENDANT SHOULD BE TAKEN FROM HERE TO A PLACE OF EXECUTION WHERE HE WILL BE HUNG BY THE NECK UNTIL HE BE DEAD!!!!!!

Hanged 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Any reasonable person would expect a TV to last longer than 14 months so you've got a very strong case under sale of goods act to get the retailer to either fix or replace (their choice) the telly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A to pay.

Lol at the legal advice.

specialone
    Free Member

Personally I think the kid that was watching the dvd ls liable, case closed, dock there pocket money and send to young offenders

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Chuck some orange juice on it and claim on the contents insurance …..

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

B shares the new lady with A as compensation and with C so he brings his telly down to stick in the shared living room

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Lol at the legal advice.

You like that one innit? 😀

Bullshit like that works when other parties have no clue as to what the Law actually is…

Kuco

If it just broke then accept it.

Next time buy one from John Lewis and get a 5 year warranty.

llama

the kids broke it

tough shit A

radio rentals where are you now?

nickjb
    Free Member

Up to A to decide if he wants to replace or chase up warranties. He chose to offer it for sharing. I'd be taking it back or poking around inside.

If A, B and C want a new shared tele then they could all chip in for a cheap 2nd hand one.

niallmb
    Free Member

If housemate A watches barely any Tv then its probably no great loss to him and therefore not worth him replacing it. If its his TV and he chose to keep it in the communal area then thats his choice.

That said, Its probably the decent thing for B + C to chip in.

BigJohn

Just Do (without) It

hora
    Free Member

How many months use?

IMO no one guaranteed the TV when they watched it. It'd have gone at somepoint anyway.

However if A had provided/loaned a microwave to the house everyone should contribute.

Why? I don't know why.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Either you all agree to pay an equal share to buy a TV, or you don't and don't get one. Simples.

jon1973
    Free Member

Either you all agree to pay an equal share to buy a TV, or you don't and don't get one. Simples.

Isn't more a question of who is responsible for replacing A's broken TV, irrespective of whether it will end up being for communal use?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Dispute with hosuemates (one for the moral amongst you)’ is closed to new replies.