Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Disposing of topsoil?
  • stayhigh

Morning All

Were digging out part of the garden and as such have a large amount of topsoil to get rid of. The local tip say they cant accept it and that we should contact the counil who will collect it at a cost to us 😯

Seems strange that the most natural thing in the world should cost money to recycle so I wondered if anyone had any helpful suggestions to offer?

Cheers 🙂

scaredypants

I’ll have it if you’re anywhere near southampton

You surely can give it away (collected) & possibly flog it I’d have thought

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Dig a big hole and bury it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Freecycle?

mudshark
    Free Member

Put it on freecycle – seen people do that before.

Stoner
    Free Member

if you’re near malvern Ill have it (can collect, you shovel it though 😉 )

failing that: freecycle or local rag free ads.

I’ve been looking for hardcore on ebay to repair a track.
    Plenty of people giving it away, but none local.
    Probably the same for top soil. Put it on ebay at free to collector.

sc-xc

FS: Soil. Slightly soiled.

stayhigh

Excellent stuff cheers fellas. I’d put an ad on craigslist but hadnt thought of the others.

Scaredypants/Stoner: Sorry I’m in medway so not much use to you guys 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d put an ad on craigslis

you’ll just get replies from horny men looking for sex. Dirty, soiled sex.

BigJohn

Soil and other inert waste disposal is a very profitable business to be in at the moment. There are hundreds of golf courses around the country which are being “remodelled”. In other words a developer is using them as landfill sites, charging people a fortune to dump their topsoil which then gets arranged into hills and features which will eventually get grassed over and turned into a new par 4 17th.

stayhigh

Could be my lucky night :mrgreen: lol

john_drummer
    Free Member

funny walks up & down your local farmers field. you know, with sandbags inside your trousers, a la Great Escape 😉

scaredypants

… and who go on ebay looking for hardcore ? 😯

stayhigh

Hmmm, I cant seem to advertise a free item on ebay as it keeps demanding I add a starting price. I may have list with 1p starting and explain in description box.

flip
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for hardcore on ebay to repair a track.
    Plenty of people giving it away, but none local.

I’m in Cannock, i have 120 18″ x 18″ grey slabs free to collector, and 70 red block paving bricks… Any use to you??

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I may be in the market for some soil in Southampton soon if I get the go ahead on the ‘cycle play area’

Let me know if anyone has any.

jenbe
    Free Member

how much do you have, its actually worth money so dont just throw it way if you have a ton or so of it!!!

gusamc
    Free Member

don’t know where you live but I got my topsoil free after I drove past a house with a pile of topsoil on the drive and a sign saying Free Topsoil, help yourself.

Flip, I’ve been paying £5.75 a tonne for crushed hardcore locally, so normally it wouldn’t be worth driving 35 miles from Bewdley, Worcestershire, even if it’s free, but we’re doing a trailquest at Elford, Staffordshire on Sunday 13th. (Did I mention I ride trailquests ?)
    It’s only a couple of miles detour to call in at Cannock, so yes please, I’ll have the lot.
    I’ve done a rough calculation and 120 slabs at 450x450x50mm is about 1.2 cubic metres. Does that sound about right to you ?
    We’ll have two bikes in the Land Rover, so I’ll bring the trailer.

Edit;
    On second thoughts, the back of a 110 is about 2 square metres.
    If they pack in 500mm high, we can get the bikes on top. No need for the trailer.

Edit again;
    On third thoughts, a bit of research shows that concrete is somewhere between 1700 and 2300kg per cubic metre.
    The 110 only carries about 1100kg, so it looks like I’ll need the trailer after all.

BigJohn

I heard of a bloke who had about 20 slabs to get rid of and left them outside his house with a sign “Free Slabs”. They stayed there for over a week, so he changed the sign to “Slabs – £1 each”. When he went back outside an hour later they were all gone.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Disposing of topsoil?’ is closed to new replies.