Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Disposable biking
  • cookeaa

So far as I can tell OP you’re basically complaining that once you upgrade a part you’re left with the original knocking about, you don’t want to just throw it in the bin, but you’re too busy to stick it up on ebay/classifieds, give it away to clear some space or even refurb it for reuse as an emergency spare…

My response would have to be; Suck it up, either bin it, flog it, store it or Refurb it, you don't have any other options…
    But stop whinging because your too rich to concern yourself with fixing stuff, yet too tight/environmentally aware to simply bin something you no longer want, it sort of makes you seem like a bit of a prick (I know, Pot-kettle-black)…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Stalker nerd alert… 😉 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

lol
    I'm thinking this forum should be renamed "Free Rant Critiques"

IA

Surf-Mat – you complain you don't want to replace the knackered hub innards cos you don't know how to do it. Why not try it and see how it goes? If it doesn't work, well it's not like you've broken some working wheels is it? If it does work, you've learned and you can repair more in future. Plus if you know how your hubs work you can maintain them and they last a lot longer.

yossarian
    Free Member

i made this with all my spares 😀

cookeaa

lol
    I'm thinking this forum should be renamed "Free Rant Critiques"

Fair point, I like a good Rant (perhaps a touch more thanmost others) but the OP’s obviously trolling for the standard points about how inept IT managers are at bike maintenance and framing it from the POV of someone who “solves” problems with cash…
    I Just thought I’d oblige by climbing on my High Horse and spouting my opinion…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Interesting conclusion there. Shame it couldn't be any more wrong if it tried.

Might have a fiddle at the weekend. Got a very old bike that needs new wheels but has cantilevers so might not work but worth a try. Maybe.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hey we all need to saddle up now and then

Just struck me that more analysis goes on of why people post than of the details of said post

(Anyone with any bright ideas for reusing bike parts, get in touch)

yossarian
    Free Member

I Just thought I’d oblige by climbing on my High Horse and spouting my opinion…

tssk, you keyboard warrior you

Coyote
    Free Member

Coyote – could you use them?

Damn right! Email's in the profile.

roystonsmith
    Free Member

Surf-Mat

I'd be interested in one of the wheels/rims for a project if you're not going to repair/refurb them.

Royston

njee20
    Free Member

Got a very old bike that needs new wheels but has cantilevers so might not work but worth a try.

Sadly it won't, disc specific rims you have there.

convert

The overriding sentiment is correct though – worn out stuff hard/ uneconomic to repair is not environmentally sound.

The snag with all this is that biking is not necessarily an environmentally aware pastime. Sure it's more environmentally aware than say driving a motorbike around for a pastime but given that all pastimes and essentially a frippery they don't stack up well. I think the issue here is that leisure mountain biking is seen as green by it's association to cycling as a form of transport. And that's before we talk about the tons of CO2 generated by mountain bikers travelling half way across the country to ride their bikes in their preferred location or worse still lobbing a bike in a plane and flying it across the globe to ride it. It sounds mad when you think of it like that!

A bloke I work with has ridden the same creaking bike up and down the village to work for 20 years and the bike was 30 odd years old before he owned it. In that time it has had a pair of tyres or two but that's about it. I'm fairly sure it's on its original steel chainring because it's ridden at a sensible pace in pleasant non abrasive conditions. It was over engineered to the point of needing a forked lift truck to lift it and it looks like a total shed but he does not care. Now that is environmentally aware travel.

I guess the best thing you could do with the components is give them to someone in a bike recycle project that might be able to use them. As a high performance mtber they might be of no use to you but to someone who does not need as exacting standards and with a little bit of know how of bodging they might have some more life left in them. If they don't I'm sure they could recycle them so they might help to make the next generation of bike bits (or dishwashers) without using more virgin materials and with a little less power.

i tried to ask if people had spare parts for recycling and i got shot down for being a scrounge

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

There is certainly a pricing issue.

Just refurbed an XT rear hub with a shot freehub. The going rate seemed about £25 for a spare freehub, but I could get a complete hub (including QR/axle/freehub) for £20. So I did. Slightly fiddly to change the lot but pretty easy providing you have the tools. Way better than dealing with freewheels pre-freehub.

It is difficult to understand the individual prices for XT chainrings and BBs given what you can get a new full chainset and BB for. There does not seem to be much of a discount market in smaller spares. Is this so our LBSs can inflate the parts component of their bills?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Disposable biking’ is closed to new replies.