Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Displaced road rage…
  • DaRC_L

So here’s one for the forum cognoscenti to mull over…

On my home last night. First commute on the s/s after a summer on the road bike. I’ve just rounded a bend with a couple of cars coming towards me. All is normal.
    I hear a squeal of brakes & tyres so pedal a bit faster. Then look behind me, shifting slightly into the centre of my lane to see a girl in a car, so I just shake my head (at poor driving) and carry on. Thinking nothing of it. Just another driver who was expecting any other road user than a car.

About a mile further one I vaguely hear some angry shouting, ranting etc…. I look behind to see some bloke / youth hanging out the passenger side waving his fist, swearing, threatening. I can’t quite make it out. They get closer and he’s ranting about upsetting and being rude to his girlfriend. Wants me to pull over.
    I carry on cycling.
    They overtake and pull over by some houses. I stop & get my phone camera working to film him walking towards me.
    He’s ranting the whole way about killing me, being rude to his girlfriend, riding in the middle of the road etc….
    I point out I was not rude to his girlfriend, that I had a right to be on the road. When he responded with “I don’t ****** **** **** care about the highyway code. You shouldn’t ***** *** be **** on the road” I knew rational argument wasn’t going anywhere.

There’s something in his hand… which as he gets closer I realise is a bottle. I put phone in bag and square up.
    Time to walk the line between standing ground and not provoking the little scrote.
    Cue angry in my face shouting. Eventually keeps ranting tells me to apologise to said girlfriend (still up the road in the car).
    I said fine (it’s better than a fight with a scrote with a glass bottle in his hadn). He starts to walk back.
    I cycle round him (wide berth) and get to the car.
    Girl winds down window – we mutually say sorry until scrote turns up and starts threatening to kill me (again).
    I cycle off, the mile or so home. Make sure they don’t follow.

So – it seems she scared herself silly finding a cyclist on the road and other cars coming the other way. Picks him up from work, obviously tells story & perhaps embellishes. Cue the hunt for cyclist and exchange via his displaced road rage. I don’t think he can drive – I’m sure I’ve seen him before walking home.

The ironic part = he turns round with and has the logo for the local Equestrian Centre emblazoned on the back. So a stable hand.

The options:
    Mention to the police – but nothing physical happened & finds out where I live
    Mention to my mates – should be able to find out his name / where he lives. Some mates might have some ‘contacts’…
    Take it now further

So what do you reckon (with added shoe-weeing, and bomber owning of course)

IHN

Mention it to the local equestrian centre

ski
    Free Member

youtube?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Get the bus, you’re clearly unhinged.

Plus it’s not as though you’re paying road tax

Markie
    Free Member

Police.

thomthumb
    Free Member

police. otherwise you have accepted it. Sounds like the kind of chap who will get himself in trouble just by them turning up!

joao3v16
    Free Member

Stable hand?

Ah, leave it, probably just had a bad hay at the office.

edlong
    Free Member

Police and equestrian centre

and youtube

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Police and his work.

If he decides to try and take it further, a lot can be solved with a replica and 5 litres of unleaded. People tend not to mess with you once they have be soaked in petrol.

bigG
    Free Member

You forgot to mention the other option. Take bottle off him , square up and see how he feels about a fair fight.

When he backs down he looks silly in the eyes of his GF and perhaps will learn the lesson about picking fights with someone who rides a singlespeed. Because you are a HARD singlespeeder aren’t you? Not some cycle cap wearing hipster?

enfht
    Free Member

Hahaha he made you say sorry.

Count yourself lucky he didn’t make you lick dog poo as well.

pudd
    Free Member

Bottles don’t hurt that much!

And what happened to pre-emptivly defending yourself from an irate armed assailant who’s threatening an imminent demise?
    Any degree of force is ok if they’re armed! (Within reason; no explosives etc).

ski
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member

Police and his work.

If he decides to try and take it further, a lot can be solved with a replica and 5 litres of unleaded. People tend not to mess with you once they have be soaked in petrol.

😯 are you for real?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Vid footage to Police.

No harm in speaking to employer too.

bencooper
    Free Member

Bottles don’t hurt that much!

I’ve got a 1″ scar on my head from a broken bottle – they might not hurt much, but they bleed a lot 🙂

D0NK

threatening to kill/harm you whilst in your face with a glass bottle in his hand (arguably lethal but certainly a “weapon”) Report it to the police.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member
    Police and his work.

are you for real?

Sorry, I thought this forum was all about outlandish and over the top responses. However from experience in my misspent youth I can assure you it’s an effective deterrent. You don’t actually set them on fire. Now THAT would be a bit extreme.

Pigface
    Free Member

Stable lad? was he about 5ft2? Lambourn is full of angry little men who are bitter and twisted.

ski
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought this forum was all about outlandish and over the top responses

Your quite right one_happy_hippy, I was hoping the replica was real tbh, apart from that, great stuff 😉

GrahamS

<Connery>They pull a bottle, you pull an axe.</Connery>

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2_h7xwCLE[/video]

singletracked
    Free Member

Shoulda agreed to apologise, ridden up to the window and complimented the young lady on her physical attributes, then cycled off in the other direction

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

STW standards are slipping, pic’s of the girl or it didn’t happen.

pudd
    Free Member

Nothing aids your case for self defence than a bleeding head wound Mr cooper. Unless you’re wearing a cycle helmet.

DaRC_L

you’re clearly unhinged.

lets look at the facts – I commute by bike on a s/s and grow a beard in winter. So I am obviously as sane as ‘Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last year’s “Mr. Madman”‘

Count yourself lucky he didn’t make you lick dog poo as well.

that would’ve been a step too far in keeping calm and carrying on.

pic’s of the girl or it didn’t happen.

no pics of the girl…

MrNutt
    Free Member

Just cycle around all the local bridalway merrily distributing crisp packets as you go

stevewhyte
    Free Member

MTFU or report it to the police.

piemonster

MTFU or report it to the police.

This and YouTube, then linky linky plz

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just cycle around all the local bridalway merrily distributing crisp packets as you go

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

you did right now reprt to plod with the evidence
    It could have been nasty and led to a serious injury had he hit you. Clearly he is a nutter who needs to be spoken to

cynic-al
    Free Member

One happy hippy = internet hard man WTF!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Give scrote lecture about how “road tax” doesn’t actually exist in a squeaky middle class voice is the norm for the helmet-cam warrior isn’t it?

But seriously, get it reported. Got a reg?

beefheart
    Free Member

andyrm
    Free Member

smg13
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be physical to report, google section 5 of the public order act something like behaviour to cause alarm blah blah but if you felt threatened then report him

mrchrispy

Burn the stables down, killing all the horses and frame him for it….it’s the only rational solution I can see.

tinribz
    Free Member

If someone has a weapon then a verbal threat is considered an assault.

Not sure if a bottle constitutes a weapon, guess it depends if he was waving it around?

tinribz
    Free Member

verticalclimber
    Free Member

presume you wear helmet so bottle wouldnt hurt ??? kick him in shins REALLY hard with cycling shoes and watch him cry with pain on the floor?

hertz32
    Free Member

^you evil little man!.. That’s genius

Frankers
    Free Member

Getting the first punch to the head or face usually unnerves them

Of course pick your target wisely ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Displaced road rage…’ is closed to new replies.