Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dismantled rear hub and the bearing has collapsed…
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just taken my rear cartridge hub appart and instead of finding two cartridge bearings in the freehub, I find one bearing and some strange crinkled washers, a load of hemispherical balls …..

Seems the second cartridge has totally collapsed….and looking closer the outer race surface is still pressed in to the freehub body. Any one any ideas how to get this out without damaging the freehub body?

Its a Progress rear hub (if anyone uses them?)

GeForceJunky

I don't know about your rear hub, but in the past on a Hope Bulb I have welded a bolt with a big head to the outer race and then wacked the bolt out with the bearing race attached. Worked a treat, but obviously you need a welder. I'll do it for you if you live near Stroud.

Oggles
    Free Member

Had this with a Pro2. You should still be able to knock it out unless the designer made a very bad design decision.
    If you can feel the edge of the outer race with your finger, hopefully it will be smaller diameter than the part of the freehub body it is pressed into.
    Then get a drift & hammer to knock it out. Work your way around the edge and whack it a small bit at a time.

If yo have a welder though… I would go GeForce's route, more likely to get it out straight. I wish I had thought of that at the time.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks chaps!

I think the outer race seats on a surface so you can't press it too far – its only thin so you'd normally have to tap out using the inner race.

I'll have a look. I might be able to get it welded at work or the gf's dad, but thanks for the offer GeForce

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Maybe get a dremel in and cut a notch, once its got a notch in it will loose all its grip the hub body. It shhould come out easy then. You would still need to be able to see a bit of the race though!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The race is at the outer edge of the freehub, so I can get to it, I just can't get to the 'rear' side of it to tap it out.

A dremel's going to eat the alloy freehub though if I slip. Do I feel lucky??? I'll have a look in the morning, it might be an option. Ta!

singlespeedstu

Buy an appropraitley sized Parabolt. Stick it into the outer shell, tighten it up and then knock it out from the other side with a hammer.

Easy. Used this loads of times to get destroyed wheel bearing out of MXers.

GeForceJunky

If its a alloy freehub you might find with a bit of heat the bearing race will drop out.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Daft question but will they do them in B&Q?

And I presume I need it to grip better in the bearing outer race than the outer race grips the freehub? So there's a happy medium to how much I tighten it up?

singlespeedstu

You can try B&Q but you might be better off trying a tool hire shop/builders merchants.

Not too tight/ not too loose. It should grip the bearing harder as you knock it out anyway due to it's wedge shape.

singlespeedstu

If you ask for a Parabolt you may get the wrong thing.

Try asking for a shield anchor.

Should look like this.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, thanks, I'll have a look for one

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

They cost a few quid too, I thought they were called raw bolts?

singlespeedstu

You'd be wrong then. 😉

If you mean Rawlbolt that's just a company name.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dismantled rear hub and the bearing has collapsed…’ is closed to new replies.