Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dislocated shoulder and getting back on the bike
  • gringo

Hi all

I dislocated my shoulder last week and wondered if anyone else here has done similar? If so, how long was it before you were riding again?

I understand that the doctor will need to give me the all clear but would like to hear about other peoples experiences 🙂

Cheers

Glenn

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

My mate’s done his a few times, took him anywhere from 3-6 months, and then it was just light riding in the park until it was strong enough.

I would like however to stress (before anyone comes up with “I went back on in a few weeks, did me no harm” responce), whatever time your doctor gives you, DO NOT do anything before then, and take it easy for a while (i.e. don’t go smashing up CwmCarn DH the day after being told it’s OK to ride)

This same mate knew someone from back home who didn’t take that advice, ended up weakening the shoulder joint and eventually had to have an operation. That gave him a 1-year recovery period, but he rode again after 6 months and now has permanent damage that no op can ever fix.

…on a more cheerful note, just take things easy, keep yourself entertained however you can (books, XBOX if you can, Top Gear repeats on Dave, go for a walk, etc.) and all will be fine! If you’re off work (which would be a good distraction otherwise), now’s a good time to order a DVD box-set or two of something you’ve wanted to see for ages but never got round to. Worked for me when I broke my wrist (though the recovery time was only 2 months, 1 of which was making my wrist strong enough to ride again).

owenfs7
    Free Member

Not dislocated but have torn the ligaments in my shoulder. About 3-4 weeks before being back on the bike, didn’t have any pain when riding even though it was still generally pretty stiff.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Mines nackared! Keeps sublixing, been for an mri and need an op, but i can still ride the bike, defo feels weaker but as long as it does’nt come out it’s not too bad, once it’s come out it will always be prone to coming out just try and keep muscles strong around it to help untill you get the op thats what im doing.

kudos100
    Free Member

About 2 months for me, I think. If it hasn’t come out too badly and goes back in quickly then physio can sort it. Otherwise you may need an op.

wors

doc told me to rest it for 3/4 weeks when i did mine. Went out on the road bike after 6 weeks and could feel every bump through it.

whiter74
    Free Member

I dislocated my hip two years ago, was back on the bike after 8 eight weeks. Never the same again though 😥

gringo

Cheers for your replies.

The doctor I saw the other day wasn’t keen on performing surgery as it was my first shoulder dislocation but he does want me to have a MRI scan as the end of the bone has been compressed – he did say that it is likely to be more prone to coming out again because of this 🙁

phutphutend

I dislocated my should last year. I had a suspected torn ligament but the MRI proved inconclusive due to metalwork in my shoulder from previous injury! In the end I had to wait six months, anticipating an operation, all to be told in the end that all was good! All feels good now after six months back riding.

Every injury is individual and even the doctors struggle to understand what may have happened. The only real way to see inside you is to cut you open, not something thye do likely. The replies on here will cover the full range from I was back riding the next day to I was off the bike for three years. So pick whichever one keeps your spirits up but let the doctors do their job and listen to their advice over some numpty like me!

Klunk
    Free Member

I had pain for about 18 months after doing mine (any kind of jarring on the bike was very painful), my swimming has never been the same since 🙁 . The One thing that helped the most was weight training, wish i had started it earlier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dislocated shoulder and getting back on the bike’ is closed to new replies.