Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Disk Boot Failure :(
  • myopic
    Free Member

As I’ve just posted on the who is still at work thread, I am. My PC just froze and when I try to restart I keep getting the above message with the request to Insert System disk and press enter. Only I don’t have the system disk. I’m also self employed and don’t have an IT dept or Helpdesk!

I guess it must be possible to download something like this that I could use? If use my laptop to create a new one, what should I be looking for? Something from the PCs manufacturer, or is it the operating system? Combination of both? It’s an HP desktop running Vista

Drac

Sounds as if you Hard Drive may have worked loose, check the cables to make sure it still gets power and is connected to the motherboard.

jam-bo

USB key left plugged in?

myopic
    Free Member

No USB key in. Will open up and check HDD and connections

mattyfez

Check connections.. Also if you know anyone with a windows cd/dvd, same version (i.e. I don’t think it will matter if it’s a home version or a pro version but will probably need to be a windows 7 disk if you are on Windows 7 for example).

You can boot from that but rather than proceed with installing windows there are some repair utilities on the disk you can run to fix things like corrupted MBR (master boot record) files.

retro83
    Free Member

Disk is probably physically broken.

What you ideally should do before doing anything else is to buy a disk of the same or larger size, then use e.g. HD clone to copy the old to the new disk. You will also need either a USB disk enclosure or the cables to mount it inside the PC temporarily.

The problem with just running the repair utilities on the broken disk is that they may cause further damage to the disk and make it irreparable.

Edit: that is assuming you have stuff you want to recover, if it’s all backed up elsewhere, contact the manufacturer and see if they can tell you how to restore the system with no repair disk.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Personally I’d skip the repairs, just try to boot from anything else you can (windows DVD, Linux boot DVD/USB) and see if you can just copy any files off it.

Start with the most valuable files.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You can download and burn a bootable Linux DVD with the other system.

Try Mint or Ubuntu distributions.

myopic
    Free Member

Well, it’s working again after opening it up and pushing everything to make sure all connections secure and sitting properly. :D. Does that mean Its DEFINITELY not broken, or could it still be on its way out?

Lots of stuff on the disk l need, but I have a full back-up, thank goodness!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Download this:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

Run it to see if the disk has ay SMART errors (indicating impending failure)

Could just have been a loose SATA cable. Make sure you’ve got backups, and keep an eye on the machine closely for other signs of hardware failure.

myopic
    Free Member

Will do, CodyB.

Thanks all!

mattyfez

Assuming the disk has physically failed or in the process of failing is jumping the gun somewhat.. Plenty of occasions I come across corrupt boot files…There’s several scans and commands you can run from a windows disk that will address this. I’m not saying the disk is healthy but windows MBR getting in a tizzy is just as, if not more likely.

Glad to hear it’s ok now, if a reseat of the power cables and data cables to the drive fixed the issue then that pretty much speaks for itself.

Although I agree with the above.. Take this opportunity to do 3 things.

1.back up any important files
    2.run a disk health check of some description
    3.obtain windows disk so in future you can use it to boot from and run some file scans and repair commands if needed in future.. the way this works is when booted from dvd (or USB flash drive if your main board supports it) you can scan for example broken /corrupted windows system files, and any found are replaced by a fresh copy from the windows disk.

Drac

Happy Xmas!

Invoice is in the post. 😀

sirromj

Loose cables can cause some seemingly scary errors, could just be that simple – if you’re experiencing no problems since checking them.

mattyfez

Indeed.. Computers thermally cycle a lot, as in warming up and cooling down on a regular basis, this coupled with other environmental factors such as dust, and getting knocked about can and does result in contacts on power and data cables working loose.

1st line with anything like this is to check (reseat and clean if nessesary) all cables, ram, graphics card etc.

myopic
    Free Member

Cool. Further backup running for latest files, then I’ll do health check. I have a vista system disc for wife’s laptop. Different manufacturer (Dell vs HP) but from what’s been said, looks like this should do the job. Thanks all.

myopic
    Free Member

Passed disc health check no issues. Relief! Thanks all. Merry Christmas 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Disk Boot Failure :(’ is closed to new replies.