• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dishwasher woe.
  • olly2097
    Free Member

OK I’m stumped. Fitted a new kitchen. IKEA. IKEA integrated dishwasher (whirlpool) all of a sudden five months later won’t drain. Filters clean. Nothing I can feel in the grotty water.
    Pulled it out from work top. Waste hose unplugged; clear. Syphon the hose with mouth (yuck) water inside goes down. appears clear.
    Turn it on. Same pump noise like its trying to drain. No dice.
    Poured a bucket of clean water in it. No go.

Any ideas. Reset it. Cut mains power. Clean filter. Hose free.

Ta.

v8ninety

Something lodged in the impeller, I bet. For some reason, the filters don’t completely filter and it is possible for bits that are just the right size or shape to bypass. I’ve had it twice, both times bits of broken glass. Needed stripping to find it though 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

From similar experience I found there are two areas to look:

The drain area at the bottom – you can normally get access to the impellor quite easily by removing the filter and then removing part of the plastic housing which is often held in with a couple of screws. Down there will be the pump impellor and a no-return valve flap thing. It is easy for things like popcorn, glass etc to get stuck there.

The next area is a bit more involved and requires removal of the side to get access to the labyrinth drain channels up the side. You can get things stuck where pipework connects to the plastic labyrinth as there is a step and it will restrict the flow either fully or just enough to create a high enough pressure that holds the no-return valve open so you keep getting back wash along with poor pumping. OH likes to put those yellow Finish dishwasher fresheners in and it the broken plastic clip that was just the right size to go up the waste pipe and jam causing the symptoms like you describe. It wasnt until I fully stripped it down that i found the plastic as it was in a hard to spot area.

Check the bottom pump/valve area first though.

muddyground
    Free Member

As above; that little impeller needs real close inspection as anything will stop it rotating. Get right in there with a torch and tweezers. Even bits of potato skin stop ours working.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Having recently bought a house with a dishwasher fitted, im reading this with interest.
    I anticipate having to do this at some point. Cant be any worse than unblocking the bath or kitchen sink pipes. Bleurgh.

zilog6128

I’ve had this (jammed impeller); obviously a common occurrence as there’s a section in the manual on it. Fortunately very easy to disassemble & clean.

OP if it is this you’ll be annoyed at all the time you wasted trying the “obvious” solutions. Don’t worry, I did the same!

wrightyson
    Free Member

And if all that fails Google jug sensor. That’s what went on mine after being fully stripped by myself.

Gunz
    Free Member

Impeller here as well but didn’t find it until I sampled the sweet, sweet taste of decomposed food whilst blowing though, lovely.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dishwasher woe.’ is closed to new replies.