Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dishwasher making big bangy noises
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Sometimes when running the machine it makes a loud bang and trips the main switch in the fuse box. Any ideas what this might be? Kinda thinking not worth getting a pro in – either try and fix myself or buy a new machine. Not sure how old the machine is was left in the house when I moved in. It's a Hoover D820.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The only loud bangs from our machine are when things get in the way of the spray bars. But they're run by water pressure so shouldn't trip anything. Needs more investigation I think.

clubber
    Free Member

If it's tripping the electrics and there's a bang then to my mind, it has to be the pump as that's the only thing that's electrical and mechanical in there. Maybe something's got into the pump and is jamming the motor, which causes the bang and then trips the electric.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Maybe something's got into the pump and is jamming the motor, which causes the bang and then trips the electric.

Checking all the filters are clear would be a good start. I would think if anything got into the pump it would be pretty final.

john_drummer
    Free Member

You say it was in the house when you moved in. How long ago was that?

Might need mending with a new one

oldgit
    Free Member

Sure it's not a tumble dryer?

BigJohn

There's very little you can do with dishwashers, but whenever ours plays up I take all the inside bits out and look at them. Then I turn it upside down and see that there's nothing I can do.

I put it all back together, wipe up the water on the floor and it seems to work fine for another 18 months.

mudshark
    Free Member

I moved in 2 1/2 years ago but only use it once a week.

So to look inside do I approach from underneath?

BigJohn

Inside as in where you put the plates. Dismantle the filter and spray arms etc and blow in them a bit.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the small chinese children inside it that clean the dishes have escaped from the tank

replacement required

mudshark
    Free Member

Inside as in where you put the plates

Er, OK! How about looking at the electronic bits? Worth looking to see if anything's got damp?

iDave
    Free Member

Thankfully every dishwasher I've known has made big bangy noises at some stage….

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sounds like your Flux Capacitor.

mudshark
    Free Member

This is no laughing matter….

Shall I just get a Miele? Seems to be the answer to most white goods related problems….

beamers

We have just bought a Miele. 'kin expensive but thus far no banging noises, just a gentle hum.

BigJohn

I think the electronic bits fall into the category "nothing I can do". Try what I said – honest it works.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Do you know where the cat is while this is going on?

flatback
    Free Member

anything blowing a trip has a electrical earth fault and should not be used until the cause is found,

wwaswas

"just a gentle hum"

don't worry, the smell fades over time.

clubber
    Free Member

anything blowing a trip has a electrical earth fault and should not be used until the cause is found,

Not necessarily. It can just be that it goes over the trip's rated current. Exactly what could happen if the pump motor jammed…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dishwasher making big bangy noises’ is closed to new replies.