Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dishwasher fail
  • white101

As a middle aged man conversation down the pub naturally turns to domestic appliance issues.
    I mentioned I was having problems with getting my plates the sparkly clean that they talk about on television, a wag in the corner suggested i add salt like it says in the manual.
    After turning the man from the pub and banning him for eternity from the town we got back to drinking.

Ignoring his advice for a few weeks things got worse and now I turn to the oracle, what salt is this the heathen spoke of?

sandwicheater

Pork scratching?

Cougar

A dishwasher requires three things; the detergent, rinse aid, and salt.

However, modern tablets can remove the need for some of these. If you’re using one of those 37-in-1 Powerball things then you don’t need (and shouldn’t use) salt. If you’re using Happy Shopper tablets then you need to add dishwasher salt. It goes in a hopper near the drain typically.

(And it should say this in the manual too)

Pook

dishwasher salt. it goes in the salt drawer/bit of the dishwasher and provides a gentle abrasive to the dishes.

I bet you can’t stack your dishes properly either.

bruneep

Move to somewhere with better water.

white101

Got those fancy all in one Powerball things, perhaps it comes down to me stacking plates like an airline baggage handler

jekkyl

dishwasher salt, durrrrr. you’ll find it in any supermarket and you pour it in the bottom… like it says in your manual..!

selkirkbear
    Free Member

The salt is used to regenerate the resin in the built in water softener. If you don’t use it then, unless you use a detergent with built in chelating agent, your dishwasher will scale up blocking the wash and rinse nozzles and result in your crockery not looking its sparkling best.

white101

Jekkyl – the word manual is alien to me, even on a bike

white101

I’m off shopping for salt!

Cheers gang

nickc

needs more than you think. bags are generally a kilo at a time, if you’ve not put some in for a while, it’ll probably take all of it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

provides a gentle abrasive to the dishes

Not that; what selkirkbear said is correct.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

You can get 25Kg bags of dishwasher salt from catering/janitorial supplies outlets. You can also use it to de-ice your path in winter.

Cougar

I’m off shopping for salt!

Got those fancy all in one Powerball things

Shouldn’t need it, then.

Pook

provides a gentle abrasive to the dishes
    Not that; what selkirkbear said is correct.

Rubbish. You put salt in, then you don’t need to put it on your potatoes at your next meal because it’s already on the plates.

wallop

Don’t forget to pour the whole box in!

canopy
    Free Member

yup – use salt.

most people don’t believe its needed, especially “in a soft water” area. but it really does make a difference.

usually a big hand sized thing to undo under the bottom disk rack. ours has a ‘float’ in it which when not visible means it needs more salt. (salination levels are low)./ its 2 quid for a big bag that lasts ages.. why not do it??

white101

2kg bag for a £1 at Wilko, half of it in the dishwasher. Job done!

cheers

joat

Some models require you to program the machine so it knows you need salt if you’re not using fancy Dan superplatinumpowerball tablets.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

While you’re on a roll, try a run with that fancy-pants dishwasher cleaner stuff.

Make sure it’s empty first, that stuff took the print off a favourite mug that I’d overlooked. Caustic, acid, or whatever, but powerful.

boblo
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    dishwasher salt, durrrrr. you’ll find it in any supermarket and you pour it in the bottom

Dunno about washing your plates but that’ll certainly make your eyes water

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mostly, dishwashers don’t regenerate their ion exchangers during the wash cycle, so mostly, salt in tablets is just a marketing exercise.

Drac

25Kg? I’ve used one bag at 1Kg on 2 dishwashers it never seems to run out.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

It’s good for use on ice and snow, too: the grains spread easily.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dishwasher fail’ is closed to new replies.