Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Disgusting animal cruelty
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you had their upbringing, or their parents, would you be any different from them? I’d say that act, the way it was carried out and executed hints at either a mind that’s not fully formed or is in some way broken.

Correct & as I’ve already said

psychopathic tendencies.

duncancallum

Mixed feelings. My dad worked in the meat trade, mates a pig farmer. I know where meat comes from I don’t like it.

However there is a distinction between cruelty of this ilk and farming.

Members of my family are the hunting shooting type. I don’t like it but it gets eaten.

However I’m sure they wouldn’t hesitate in having a “chat” with this dick.

I’m not a vedgy and doubt I ever will I however admire the level of commitment it takes to be one.

Me I have once put a lad in hospital for drop kicking a hedgehog. He said it was funny. I thought him getting stitches was mildly amusing.

Unfortunately the hog wasn’t around to see this.

slowoldman

abot 60 % of my meat is local butcher. thats maybe on a good week cause of my salary.

All mine is from the butcher these days and I have taken to eating less meat to fund it.

bob_summers

What difference does it make to the cow that it meets its end locally? The shorter journey?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me I have once put a lad in hospital for drop kicking a hedgehog. He said it was funny. I thought him getting stitches was mildly amusing.

😆

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m beginning to wonder if BillMc has had a nail put through his head and that is why he is unable to talk any sense.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

“vedgy”

Actually, I quite like that.

2vedgy4u – ‘s me

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I hear it might have been a foreign dog!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Eating meat doesn’t have to be cruel.

you just have to be prepared to kill things as they are tasty 😕

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What difference does it make to the cow that it meets its end locally? The shorter journey?

Centralized slaughter requires long, cruel, transport times and can also lead to inattentive or otherwise cruel slaughter practices.

Back OT – driving the nail into the animal’s skull is a different matter – inexcusable. I would be voting for gaol time. Pretty tempted to say a whipping too, but that would also be wrong, *sigh*. Substantive community service then, in addition.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I love it when meat eaters tell us how kindly they kill things to eat them and object to the “bad” killings on humanitarian grounds

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The emotion which people display in this as compared to the greater atrocities visited upon people just makes me sad

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Horrible story

Not quite sure why it has deviated but since it’s has – perhaps if you what to eat meat or fish you should be prepared to oil, it yourself/experience slaughtering. Then see….

gobuchul
    Free Member

The emotion which people display in this as compared to the greater atrocities visited upon people just makes me sad

Why?

Do you think that feeling empathy for an animal prevents people about caring about humans?

I was commenting on a news story I saw on the BBC website.

I have a couple of “terrier types” myself. I can’t imagine why anyone could or would want to do that to any animal. Humans included in that.

The fact that they went to all that trouble to inflict this torture on an animal is what I find particularly shocking.

As others have said, if they are capable of this, they are probably capable of anything.

oink1
    Free Member

Nasty **** 😥

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do you think that feeling empathy for an animal prevents people about caring about humans?

No,but I don’t see the same strength of emotion being expressed for greater human suffering. No one here offers to put a nail into the head of those who cause it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

No,but I don’t see the same strength of emotion being expressed for greater human suffering.

Why would there be? It’s not a thread about human suffering.

No one here offers to put a nail into the head of those who cause it.

What a strange response.

So do we have rank evil in the World and then only discuss and deal with the worst and ignore the rest?

mudshark
    Free Member

Us eating animals is no different to animals eating animals – it’s part of life. It’s the way we treat animals whilst they are alive that’s important – including their final hours.

Most of us feel empathy towards another being in distress so could never be cruel to an animal, those that don’t feel this empathy are capable of other crimes, you can’t beat this empathy into people though so what to do?

devash
    Free Member

There was a similar story (in Redcar) where two brothers filmed themselves torturing their pet bulldog, which subsequently died a few weeks later. I’m from Guisborough (very close to Redcar / Kirkletham) and it caused a massive storm in the area, with events like this occurring http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/redcar-dog-abuse-brothers-shamed-11366617.
    Its very likely that the chavs / scumbags who were involved in this latest incident will be named and shamed in the local press. I’ve heard that there’s a growing pot of reward money being put forward by local people and charities for info on the perpetrators, so it won’t be long before some little sink estate dweller grasses up his mate(s).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Us eating animals is no different to animals eating animals – it’s part of life

Its not part of my life and its quite clearly a choice. a lion makes no [moral]choice. DO you really only have the moral awareness and moral code of a wild animal?Its just not equivalent as we have awareness and they dont- well some of us do,

As i said its interesting how that is cruel but i can still boil the lobster alive to eat it what s worse being boiled alive in water or a nail through the head

no idea but neither is anywhere near nice or moral

ThePilot
    Free Member

Why are people more important than animals?
    I think it’s something that we as a society should think about.

gobuchul
    Free Member

As i said its interesting how that is cruel but i can still boil the lobster alive to eat it what s worse being boiled alive in water or a nail through the head

AFAIK most people, in the UK, don’t boil lobster alive anymore. It’s not necessary. Knife to back of the head I think. A lot quicker and effective than hammering a nail through an animals skull that doesn’t even kill it.

Besides it’s not a good comparison.

A dog is a domesticated animal that it is inherently linked to human beings. You might not love dogs as such but they do have a bond with humans. That is undeniable. Thousands of years. Good and bad but mostly good.

Are you trying to suggest that you feel as much empathy towards crustaceans as you would towards another mammal? Especially a domestic dog?

Have you ever spoke to and petted a dog?

Ever done that to a lobster?

Of course, I forget, you are the uber-atheist version of St Francis crossed with the Dalai Lama, so you probably have. 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I’m no veggie, but the self deception on display among some of the meat eaters here is quite worrying

It’s a common phenomenon but comes across as mental deficiency

bob_summers

Gobuchul, I think he is saying that a lobster has an interest in preserving its own life and avoiding pain in the same way a dog does. Try to think about the central argument rather than going to silly extremes.

I can only see two states. Either you are unaware that cruelty is inseparable from slaughter, or you are aware and are ok with it.

As for not feeling the same way about atrocities committed against humans, try substituting the word ‘toddler’ for ‘dog’ in the OP and I think you’d see more than 2 pages of outrage.

gobuchul
    Free Member

As for not feeling the same way about atrocities committed against humans, try substituting the word ‘toddler’ for ‘dog’ in the OP and I think you’d see more than 2 pages of outrage.

When did I say that?

bob_summers

sorry, wasn’t aimed at you, rather a sentiment expressed further up the page

Stevet1
    Free Member

Speaking personally, I can’t handle all the pain in the world. I’m not ignorant, but to function in a ‘normal’ manner, I ignore it, or at least, bury it. Most people I suspect are like this. Then cases come to light which break through this barrier and bring the worlds suffering into sharp focus e.g. the drowned migrant child Alan Kurdi (had to google that) and for a moment the mask slips.

mudshark
    Free Member

Its not part of my life and its quite clearly a choice. a lion makes no [moral]choice. DO you really only have the moral awareness and moral code of a wild animal?Its just not equivalent as we have awareness and they dont- well some of us do,

So you’re saying all non-veggies are immoral? Presumably people most disagree.

I do think a mostly veggie diet is beneficial to society as meat production is a very inefficient use of land compared to crops.

Toddboy
    Free Member

tan·gent  (t?n?j?nt)
    n.
    1. Mathematics
    a. A line, curve, or surface meeting another line, curve, or surface at a common point and sharing a common tangent line or tangent plane at that point.
    b. Abbr. tan The trigonometric function of an acute angle in a right triangle that is the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the side adjacent to the angle.
    2. A sudden digression or change of course: went off on a tangent during his presentation.
    3. Music An upright pin in a keyboard instrument, especially in a clavichord, that rises to sound a string when a key is depressed and stops the string at a preset length to set the pitch

As this has now gone off on a tangent and is now discussing boiling lobsters and arable farming, I thought I would quote the definition of a tangent.

If you want to discuss the finer points of vegan, vegetarian, land use, etc, then why not start your own post? ❓ 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you trying to suggest that you feel as much empathy towards crustaceans as you would towards another mammal? Especially a domestic dog?

I think you are trying to argue i should feel less empathy depending on which creature is suffering
    I am saying that is illogical

So you’re saying all non-veggies are immoral?

I am saying you can chose whether to kill animals or not as part of your diet
    you are free to decide whether killing is better or worse than not killing .

I can only see two states. Either you are unaware that cruelty is inseparable from slaughter, or you are aware and are ok with it.

THis basically
    By all means continue to kill things but dont pretend its not a cause of suffering to the thing you kill.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think you are trying to argue i should feel less empathy depending on which creature is suffering
    I am saying that is illogical

No it isn’t.

How do you feel about the thousands of fly’s that you kill while driving your car or travelling on a bus?

Do they not count?

gonzy
    Free Member

What would you eat boiled kitten with?

kitten tikka massala? naan bread, rice or chips

but seriously i hate dogs…cant stand them but cruelty towards them or any other animal is just plain wrong

natrix
    Free Member

So trying to kill a dog by driving a nail through its head is unspeakably cruel, but trying to kill a lamb by driving a bolt through its head (as happens in slaughter houses) is OK??

You meaties never fail to amaze me……………….

mudshark
    Free Member

You don’t think one way is quicker/more humane than the other?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why would there be? It’s not a thread about human suffering.

My point is that there isn’t one.

What a strange response.

Not really, it’s what someone offered to do.

So do we have rank evil in the World and then only discuss and deal with the worst and ignore the rest?

No, but what has happened here is that people have not discussed the worst, only this dog nail incident. There are no recent threads of outrage at cruelty to humans

natrix
    Free Member

I didn’t see how quickly the nail was hammered in…………..

gobuchul
    Free Member

I didn’t see how quickly the nail was hammered in…………..

As it didn’t actually kill the dog, doesn’t matter how quick really does it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No it isn’t.

sos ome suffering of some animals is ok and some suffering of other animals is no tok
    May I see the rational for this decision and what principle underlies it ? it will not be logical or consistent as essentially you are saying its ok for some animals to suffer but not others. WHy?

yes you can kill animals in a bad way or an even worse way but its not humane to kill.
    there is no “nice” way to kill things as they dont want to die to be eaten by you.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

there is no “nice” way to kill things as they dont want to die to be eaten by you.

Then why do they make themselves so tasty?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Disgusting animal cruelty’ is closed to new replies.