Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 'Discussion Group' interview, gulp, any advice?
  • waihiboy
    Free Member

Morning all,

Later this week I have an interview, it has two parts apparently..

1.Group Discussion
    2.Competency based interview

Whole process is suppose to take 4 hours.

Can anyone shed any real world light on the ‘group discussion’ part please?

I’m fairly oldskool (as they say these days

rwamartin
    Free Member

Be yourself. Contribute. Ask others for their views. Ensure that quiet ones are included. If you disagree then do so constructively.
    Don’t hog the discussion.
    Go for it. Good luck.
    Rich.

longmover
    Free Member

I once had a group interview for well known toy shop. A few of the interviewees thought it was a who could talk the most crap contest.

Drac

Make lots of loud noises that’s all most of those watching will notice.

sprootlet
    Free Member

As above, especially in trying to draw people into it who are a little quiet.
    I was in a group that was totally dominated by a loud American lass and in 30 mins managed to contribute once. Everyone in the group got through except for the one who didn’t shut up.

tmb467
    Free Member

Meant to show how you can interact with others without drowning them out / talking about yourself all the time

Shows you working in a team

Competency stuff is all ‘examples’ of what you’ve done. Situation, task, action, result – explaining how you’ve demonstrated those competencies before

bikebouy
    Free Member

normally a good informal discussion is all that’s required. If it’s a results driven meeting then prepare by outlining a plan before you go in. Work with the members of the group, take direction when you feel you need and are able to, don’t be put off if you are dismissed by a member of the group for your ideas/method. DO NOT go quiet or into your shell, face rebuttle and questioning as a positive challenge.

Set Out a Plan.
    Seek Input from the Group.
    Challenge Others.
    Acknowledge Others.
    Clear Communication.
    Direction.
    Journey.
    Conclusion.
    Thank Everyone for thier input.
    Keep an eye on the time.

HTH

mark90
    Free Member

If there is a particularly difficult member of the group who disagrees with everyone else’s point of view and appears to be trying to antagonise people, they may be a plant by the company, or maybe a STWer 😉

waihiboy
    Free Member

Cheers all for the input much appreciated … My god things have changed over the years, the days of a nudge, nudge wink wink we know your sound you can have the job are well and truly over!

Drac

My god things have changed over the years, the days of a nudge, nudge wink wink we know your sound you can have the job are well and truly over!

Thank ****.

fasthaggis

Set Out a Plan.
    Seek Input from the Group.
    Challenge Others.
    Acknowledge Others.
    Clear Communication.
    Direction.
    Journey.
    Conclusion.
    Thank Everyone for their input.
    Keep an eye on the time.

A bit like posting on STW then 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not sure where we are on the journey do I thank you for your contribution or challenge you ?

aracer
    Free Member

Have you ever thanked somebody for their contribution, JY?

fasthaggis

I plan to thank Junkyard for his/her input at 10.55, at which point I will then change direction, and quite possibly start an argument other topic .
    I hope that all the group will find this very stimulating.

😛

qwerty
    Free Member

A wee nsfw

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVp9rKF3hag[/video]

squirrelking
    Free Member

the days of a nudge, nudge wink wink we know your sound you can have the job are well and truly over!

Really? Nobody got that memo round here…

IA

In these situations I find a useful phrase to be “you’re right. But do you know who’s also right? Me…”

😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Competency based interview

This is the bit you should be worried about.

Have you had one before?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘'Discussion Group' interview, gulp, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.