Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Discovery channel to leave sky
  • conkers
    Free Member

Sky doesn’t think the Discovery channels are worth what they are paying them so Discovery could well be leaving Sky.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2017/01/discovery-threatens-pull-channels-sky-platform-carriage-negotiations-break/

http://keepdiscovery.co.uk/

Personally if Discovery goes so does my Sky subscription.

zilog6128

Discovery used to be good many years ago but now it’s all just shite cheap, fake “reality” TV. Myth busters was their last good show & that’s finished now. Good riddance!

CraigW
    Free Member

I’m curious how much money they get from subscriptions compared to advertising. Quite a few of the programs are on Quest (also owned by Discovery), which is on Freeview anyway.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I really thought I’d watch Discovery before I got it but have found it’s almost universally cack. 30 min documentary programmes with ads and repeated bits and so vacuous there’s barely 2mins of actual programme worth watching.

Only thing I have ever watched on any Discovery channel is Wheeler Dealers really.

Makes you appreciate the BBC so much more though!!

jools182
    Free Member

I’d be leaving sky too if the discovery channels went

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s past it’s sell by date IMO. The only half decent programme these days is wheeler dealers, and that isn’t a reason for watching it unless it’s a new series.

The rest is that handycam wobble filmed nonsense with shouty American “pickers” or “dealers” (wideboy pikies in reality) and the format of the “shows” is all the same.. 8 min preview, 2 min content, 20 min advert, 6 min review.

A child of 6 would produce a better programme.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Worth pointing out that Eurosport is part of discovery so that will also be leaving sky on Jan 31st if not resolved. For me that is a no brainer. No Eurosport, no sky subscription. I have already contacted Sky to tell them as much.

DickBarton

Maybe they discovered that the sky is the limit…

prawny

smuttiesmith – Member
    Worth pointing out that Eurosport is part of discovery so that will also be leaving sky on Jan 31st if not resolved. For me that is a no brainer. No Eurosport, no sky subscription.

This times infinity.

phead
    Free Member

There is nothing but reality junk on discovery these days, good riddance.

If you want old school discovery, turn on PBS.

martinhutch

Wonder if Sky will be prepared to punt some extra content to disgruntled customers who phone up to complain.

servo
    Free Member

Oh no! How will I ever find out what is buried on Oak Island? 🙂
    Fast ‘n’ Loud
    Wheeler Dealers

chakaping
    Free Member

If Eurosport goes it’ll probably be the tipping point for me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I didn’t know Eurosplat was part of Discovery..

Yeah, if that goes I leave Sky too.

cchris2lou

I don’t get the Oak Island thing?

oliverracing

Oh ffs, I had no idea eurosport was part of sky and that was pretty much the main reason alongside the f1 that we got sky!

Wookster

As time goes on I find less and less to watch really, it’s all reality TV, no new fresh programming. I’d be gutted to see Eurosport go though. I miss the proper detailed documentaries, but the BBC are doing some good stuff at the moment.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Phew, I’ve got Virgin.

I’ll be honest, Wheelers Dealers, Gold Rush and Fast n’ Loud make up most of my viewing ha ha

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Worth pointing out that Eurosport is part of discovery so that will also be leaving sky on Jan 31st

and conveniently Eurosportplayer is only £20 for the year if you sign up before the end of the month. I have the app on various devices and chromecast it (never had Sky or cable and don’t have a smart TV so rely on chromecast for any streaming service).

mos

I liked the first 2 series of Fast ‘n’ Loud but then RR started with the GM Bar and Grill then GB energy drink & he even does cruises now! I mean FFS he’s a brand whore of the highest order.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I never knew that Quest was mostly Discovery!

I know it’s mostly crap but I quite like flicking through the Discovery channels before going to bed and this was probably the only thing keeping me with Sky as 95% of out TV watching is BBC/ITV/Ch4 and the kids are mostly streaming stuff anyway.

Frankly I’d love to ditch Sky so this would be the trigger – in fact now I know about Quest I’ll probably just leave anyway.

zilog6128

I miss the proper detailed documentaries, but the BBC are doing some good stuff at the moment.

Also there are the Sky Attenborough documentaries (which are better than anything Discovery have done, ever) and a host of brilliant music/culture docs on Sky Arts. And never mind the first-rate shows on Sky Atlantic – we warnt Gurld Rursh!!! Braindead Britain 2017 🙂

monde
    Free Member

A £20 million a year cycling team sponsored by SKY and you wont be able to watch majority of races on their platform. Highly doubt this will be allowed to happen and is all bluff in terms of negotiation but done in a very public way.
    I blame football and the stupid price Sky paid for it!

servo
    Free Member

I don’t get the Oak Island thing?

Curse of Oak Island is actually on the History channel 😳

AlexSimon

As soon as Eurosport offered there web-tv streaming product, I left Sky. I never felt comfortable subscribing (Murdoch + strong arm tactics + annoying £10 recording charge), but I have to admit their hardware and software is unsurpassed by anyone else.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Perhaps Sky are pre-empting the loss of Eurosport as it seems that quite a lot of the cycling events are shown on the BIKE channel. Terrible coverage of races in general but perhaps they might step it up when Eurosport goes.

Personally I think I could do without sky. Just would like a freesat HD recorder with decent interface to replace it with. Surely it can’t be that hard to program a box that works!?!

richmtb

I was seriously considering ditching Sky anyway as I almost never watch it (or any broadcast TV for that matter)

This is the final excuse I need

martinhutch

Where will I get my fix of hick TV now that Alaskan Bush People will disappear?

Watching re-runs of Trump rallies is just not hitting the spot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You and me baby are nothing but mammals
    Let’s do it like they do on the Discovery Channel

Genius 🙂

Looked through Sky listings the other day and struggled to find anything I would watch. Cancelled mine 8 (?) years ago now, have never missed it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Isn’t Discovery like the MTV of documentary channels?

AlexSimon

Surely it can’t be that hard to program a box that works!?!

Speaking as someone actively involved in set-top-box development, I can say that because Sky control both the broadcasts and the reception equipment, they have a huge advantage. As well as the obvious money issue.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Perhaps Sky are pre-empting the loss of Eurosport as it seems that quite a lot of the cycling events are shown on the BIKE channel

ITV are snapping up more and more cycling – think they have all the grand tours now even if just highlights? – so I don’t think cycling is big ticket stuff to the broadcasters. Combined with the fact they’ve finally dropped Statler and Waldorf from the Tour commentary means they offer a lot of competition to Eurosport, but it’s worth 20 quid for the full-day coverage and races ITV don’t cover like the Classics.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Discovery channel to leave sky’ is closed to new replies.