Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Discovery 3
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Land Rover Discovery 3, anyone got one?

dashed
    Free Member

Yes, on my second. Expensive to run, low mpg, heavy on parts (especially suspension bushes and that kinda thing). Best car I’ve ever owned – seriously 😀

Would think twice unless you actually need the offroad ability (which is as good as anything I’ve driven) or aren’t worried about the cost of running… Oh, and watch out for 7 year, 105k service – all the belts done and some stealerships quoting around a grand, but you can half that if you shop around. Disco3 forum good place for more info.

Owt else I can help with just shout 😀

ononeorange

I have just sold my Series 3 today, which doesn’t help in any way but is slightly sad (for me).

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Try here blah bah blah

Thanks for your constructive input davidtaylforth but if everything we did had to have a point we probably wouldn’t do much at all.

dashed – not put off by the general running costs, more concerned with reliablity. It wouldn’t be getting a hammering off road, probably a kerb, speed hump and the odd verge, that sort of thing.

Seriously though, how reliable in everyday road use?

kristoff
    Free Member

Had one, sold it as I’d got it to over 200k and at the time couldn’t justify the price jump to a discovery 4.

Nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned for a long journey. Incredibly capable if you choose to take it off road (with some all terrain tyres virtually unstoppable). A fuel burning heater is a nice bonus in cold weather (below 4 degrees it fires up and warms the vehicle up in a couple of minutes).

Check all electrics are working properly, listen for knocks and squeaks.. There should be none, make sure air
    Suspension works in all settings. Be prepared for bad economy, its a permanent 4wd vehicle that weighs 2.7tonnes you’ll have to drive like miss daisy to get more than 30ish mpg.

The factory sat nav in SE and HSE models is ok as long as the disc is up to date (the drive for it is under the passenger seat). If you want to save yourself some money on tyres even if not going off road fit some all terrains. Mine had general ATs and they’re good for between 30-40k a set compared to 10-15k on normal road tyres that cost the same.

I’ve got a transporter for now but in a few years I’ll probably look for another one.

andyl
    Free Member

We’ve been looking at getting one later this/early next year. Initially the repair issues horrified me but they have been out a while now so the independents are very used to them now.

Saved this place to my bookmarks as a guide to servicing: http://www.famousfour.co.uk/wshop/wshop_disco3.php

I thought £625 for the belts and service was okay, especially considering I had seen horror stories of the more major engine work that need the body removing!

PS head keeps saying to buy something japanese but the heart (and the OH ) keep saying Disco.

kristoff
    Free Member

Once you’ve driven one you’ll forget those thoughts.

Also give the auto box a go if you weren’t considering it. HSEs are auto only but the gearbox is very very clever.. Has its own ECU which adapts to your driving style (worth getting reset in new ownership once you’re used to driving it). When I’m looking for one again in a few years I’ll be looking for an auto not manual.

drlex
    Free Member

Have had one from new in 2005. Been an absolute joy and reliability has been good – one compressor, alternator & battery in almost eight years. Hauls the horse box with consummate ease, great for long journeys & have managed six people and luggage without a top box. Can get three child seats across the middle row if required.
    There are some lemons about, so either get a car you know has been looked after or a gold-plated warranty – the stories of engine failure and resultant cost are worrying. Heavy beast, so suspension components are almost consumables. A decent local LR dealer or independent would be useful; lucky to have both,

Pembo
    Free Member

Constantly bottom of the JD Power rankings so you take a big chance with a second hand one. Mrs Pembo has an 08 HSE and has had lots of problems with it including a new propshaft after 38k miles!

Numerous other problems which meant we had to take the extended warranty when the manf warranty ran out for peace of mind. Even last week the engine light came on and it was back in the garage. This time it was some kind of valve which allows exhaust gas back into the engine to help heat the engine up in cold weather. Apparently they get caked in soot and stop working.

Lovely car to drive when all is well, although quite a few muppets don’t like you overtaking on the motorway and speed up which is a bit bizarre.

Legoman
    Free Member

Most unreliable vehicle I’ve ever had the misfortune to own.
    Bought one at 3 yrs old/ 45k, ran it for 2 years & did 25k, during which had 2 wheel bearings, air sus compressor, electric boot release catch (£250 to fit a £19 part thanks to idiots at LR not fitting a manual override for when the electric release packs up), 3 attempts to repair the electronic handbrake which my local (well respected) LR indie admits is simply not fit for purpose.

They also go through brakes like they’re made of cheese.

By contrast, I’ve done 60k in the XC90 I swapped it for with nothing more that 2 front wheel bearings. Not even new brake pads.

When it worked the D3 was a great car, it just didn’t work often enough!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Bought a 55 plate in Dec 2006 average about 8k a year , get it serviced each year, according to computer averaged 26 mpg ,I have a heavy right foot so not bad.Might have bought four tyres in that time , set of brakes, blanked off the egr valves, been pretty much 100% reliable and a belting car to drive. carries 5 with bikes for fun!!!

timber

Had one as a work machine when they were first out, big diesel auto, primarily used for towing, big loads, everyday. It replaced a Disco 2 and it was a massive improvement, towed better, responded better, more grunt than the remapped Disco 2, nicer to be in, would choose it over the boss’ E-Class for a long trip.

Costs I didn’t have to worry about, but seemed no worse than the 2 for fuel econmomy for what we did. Didn’t have half as many issues as the 2 in the same time period.

If could, I would have one.

freeagent
    Free Member

Service history and previous use are key –
    You want to buy the well-cared-for family vehicle, rather than the company truck that has spend everyday hauling a mini-digger around.

As others have said, they do cost a bit to look after – but it is a big/heavy/complex/expensive truck, which, as others have said, will eat suspension/tyres/brakes.

Get a good one, and it’ll be a joy, get a rough one and you’ll hate it.

zokes
    Free Member

Even last week the engine light came on and it was back in the garage. This time it was some kind of valve which allows exhaust gas back into the engine to help heat the engine up in cold weather. Apparently they get caked in soot and stop working.

That would be an EGR – something pretty much all diesels have, and that seems to be a perennial problem for most at some point too

takisawa2

One of the other leaders had one on our Scout Groups family camp last ” summer”. He ended up towing everbody off what started the weekend as a field but turned in to a quagmire. It towed our 1500kg caravan with so much ease, I was well impressed. He even had to tow an A6 Quattro Audi out when that got stuck too. I’d have one in a flash but my meagre budget wouldn’t stretch that far. 🙁

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Ran one for 2 years and loved it. Did just over 100,000 miles in that time and just once the hand break stuck. Nothing else went wrong at all.

I must have had a good one I guess. It was a two seater van if that makes any difference but i don’t think Land Rover Special Vehicle have any involvement in these any more.

Great car – wish I’d gone for a D4 after it but I decided to be an idiot instead.

grantway
    Free Member

Did hear the Discovery had reliability issues.
    What about the Grand Cherokee by Jeep ?
    lot more vehicle for your money

zokes
    Free Member

Did hear the Discovery had reliability issues.
    What about the Grand Cherokee by Jeep ?
    lot more vehicle for your money

I fail to see in any way how a Grand Cherokee is more vehicle than a D3. They also throw a wobbler on sand and revert to 2wd, with pretty obvious results.

bedmaker

My bro has one and would echo what’s said above. Really lovely car but hideously expensive to keep on the road.
    New auto box, ECU gremlins, boot catch, suspension stuff, turbo pipes, etc, etc

mos

They are a good car, but my 07 HSE has now cost me £2k this month.
    Broadly speaking;
    New handbrake module & shoes
    New front suspension bushes
    New front brakes

Bang goes my Cannondale Trigger 29er FS.

The only good thing is, they’ve given me 2 adventure day vouchers worth £195 each & i’m gonna clear the dealers fridge out of free coke & ice cream when i pick my car up.

drlex
    Free Member

mos,
    Ouch – imagine that module was about £500 and 3 hours labour charge.
    If you want to do your own brakes and save a few quid, have a look at
    this guide on disco3.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, good to get some real world feedback rather than media bs.

Whilst some seem very reliable, what’s with all this replacing parts and spending money? Running a T5 Transporter at the moment and it snapped a drive shaft at 70,000 miles which I thought was bang out of order. Previous 4×4 was a Mitsubishi, 115,000 miles and 5 years on nothing but tyres and pads (ok and servicing).

Again, thanks very much but I’m putting this idea to bed. 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Discovery 3’ is closed to new replies.