Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Discovered the perfect hydration pack yet?
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I have grown a little tired of the Camelbak hydration packs not sitting comfortably in place and moving around.

Tried a variety of packs over the years.

Took a chance buying a Wingnut Hyper 3.0.

Rode the Wall at Afan today, it stayed in place, didn’t move around, felt very comfortable.

Takes all the gear I would normally carry with room to spare.

Why didn’t I try one of these years ago?

Regards

Denis

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive started using mine without the bladder. Bottles on frame kit in camel back or jersy pockets depending in weather and ride.

kiwijohn

Dakine Drafter for me. 12L is just the right size for everything I need on a long day or night. A pocket for everything & it all sits un-noticed.
    Bottles & pockets are fine for a short lash on the HT or CX, but for most of my riding the Drafter is perfect.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I have a Dakine Nomad that I’ve been using since about 2006 which I think is very similar to the Drafter.

With a Source bladder inside I’ve never felt the need to try anything else.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Wingnut splitback here, big enough for everything I need, light, comfy and doesn’t bang me in the back of the head on the CX bike like the camelbak did

nickc

Acre Hauser 10L

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Osprey fan here. Got a Viper and love it. Bladder doesn’t slosh around like my old CB used to, presumably because of its more rigid shape.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Osprey user here too, Raptor 10. Seems just right size for most trips with the bonus of waist pockets for gels etc saves faffing about taking off pack etc. The bladder is superb, though do make sure it’s closed properly.

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve got a camelbak octane and it’s very good. But I too have started to use bottles as it keeps the weight off my back.

iainc

Recently moved from 10 yrs plus with Camelbak to Evoc and mighty impressed with increased comfort and stability.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Are there some new camelbak lumbar packs due out soon?

EDIT I found it, Palos

soundninjauk

I recently moved from a Dakine Drafter to an Evoc CC 10l Team and it is a revelation in comfort.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Happy with my Evoc CC 10L

bowglie

According to my OH I have a terrible trail pack addiction – I’ve bought load of the bu**ers in last few years in search of trail pack perfection, and the spare room is festooned with em:)) Have tried Camelbak mule, hawg, blowfish; Wingnut hyper, Evoc Freeride, Osprey Raptor and one of their larger capacity ones.

Of all that lot, I like the comfort, layout & pockets of the Raptor. Bought the Evoc for the back protection and its stability on steep, rough ground – it’s very stable for its size, but I don’t find it that comfy compared to my latest addition to the collection.

My current favourite is the Camelbak Charge 10L; it’s basically a refined version of the Wingnut, with a strange looking water bladder that wraps around the lower back and waist to keep the weight down low. I think the stability and comfort of the Charge are brilliant, but as a bike pack, it’s not perfect – there’s not as much organised storage as the Raptor or Evoc, and there are things like a key fob and mesh pockets at the bottom of the inside of the main compartment. If Camelback could put a bit more organised storage, I think it’d really improve it – as it is, I’m not sure I’d swap a Wingnut for it, unless you want the hip hugging water bladder.
    Uh oh, I’ve just seen the new Camelbak Skyline, with improved tool storage – I can feel a trail pack purchase itch again:))
    P.s. Anyone want a Camelbak Hawg cheap?

cp

Inov8 race pack for me with the bladder around the waist. Works great.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Just fyi folks, the FOX hydration packs are poor as a product as the hose kinks meaning you have to stop riding and unkink to get any fluid running freely.

Have found Hydrapaks to be the best in the past for me.

I just now use bottles stored in pack, gives me good reason to slow down and stop to drink/rest.

SaxonRider

If you have access to goods in Canada (via a relative, or similar), do consider stuff from Mountain Equipment Co-op. I have been using a hydration pack I got there for the last 8 years. It is an older version of this one.

cakefacesmallblock

Just switched from an 8 year old MULE, to an Osprey raptor 14. Found the mule to be just a bit small in winter for what I needed. Osprey fits well, love the bladder, like the tool roll, but the bite valve , for me , is rubbish compared to the
    Camelbak. Think I’ll be doing some fettlin.

akira

Shimano unzen, very comfy and fits plenty of stuff in it. Still have an osprey raptor but it just doesn’t feel as nice.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Camelbak and Osprey bite valves use the same hose so will fit.

Osprey for me, Raptor is great but the Zealot for bigger days.

ratherbeintobago

Are the Ergon packs any good?

lazypete
    Free Member

Recently switched from a Camelbak Mayhem I’ve had for years to an Evoc Freeride Enduro which I love. The Mayhem was fine, but bounced around a lot and when filled up felt rather like having a barrel strapped on. The Evoc is very stable and carries well mostly empty or filled for a long day. I like the notion of built in back protection – I’d never wear a dedicated one for the riding I do but don’t trust the ‘full bladder and pack’ theory. Came down hard on my back from a height in an OTB moment recently and back was just fine, though broke my helmet on a tree stump. Pricey, but worth it.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

^^ The pack I use pretty much all the time is an Ergon BX3.

I got it because I’m tall and you can adjust the back position (i.e Small up to XL).

Positives: The way it’s designed the load is compressed so it’s stabilised on your lower back. From what I can gather, it works a little bit like a wingnut pack. Definitely more comfy than other packs I’ve used and depending how much gear you put in it generally stays in position.
    As mentioned, great if you’re tall (I’m 6’5″). With other packs I often find that the waist strap is halfway up my belly.

Negatives: A fair few pockets but overall, the layout is nowhere near as good as some other packs such as Osprey and Dakine.
    No bladder included.

Overall I’m really happy with it. Would definitely get another.

Denis99
    Free Member

My main concern with the Camelbak was that on descending the pack would shift around.

I never could secure the thing properly.

The Wingnut sits much lower though , and is definitely more stable and comfortable.

I’ll probably buy one of the smaller Wingnut packs now for shorter day rides in the summer, where I don’t need to carry a lightweight jacket for rain.

ton

wingnut hyper2 here, my 2nd one in 10yrs.
    never used any thing else for normal offroad rides. offroad touring i have used a osprey 20l thing ,which was fine.

cakefacesmallblock

Thanks Gravity Slave . New CB bite valve tomorrow then. Just need to work a bodge for the magnet.

sailor74
    Free Member

USWE F4 Pro here. Stick to your back better than anything else and I’ve tried lots. Only downside is it sits high on your back

mtbtom
    Free Member

Just switched to an Osprey Zealot. Makes a big difference that the bag is longer (in it’s large size at least) over my old Camelbak Mule. Whole thing sits better. Not sure it’ll last as long as the Mule, but hey… half as long and I’d be happy TBH.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dakine Nomad here, which is fine but the bladder is a pain. I’m on my 2nd bite valve which is leaky & the tube is like a live snake, it just twangs all over the place when your’e filling/cleaning it. The bag itself ticks most boxes though.

Northwind

Using a pretty old camelbak chaos, it’s not perfect but it’s pretty damn close. Only a 2 litre bladder which definitely helps, I have the 3l equivalent and it’s nothing like as good- boxier, and the change from full to empty’s too much for the straps I think

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Osprey Viper 13 comfy lots of room and the 3l bladder is brilliant the rigid form really helps to make sure the pack doesn’t bulge.

Del

had a wingnut. lovely, then it started falling apart. belt was pulling out of the pocket and the zips were giving up. after about 18months. now run an osprey waist pack with bottles. well built and works. for less than half the price of the wingnut + bladder.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Another Wingnut Hyper 3.0 fan here, would buy another one when then the time comes.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Discovered the perfect hydration pack yet?’ is closed to new replies.