Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Discounts on advertised prices on second hand cars?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just looking to replace our current car and had been looking at nearly new Kia Sportage GT Lines – however prices seem to be pretty hefty for nearly new (£21,000 for this one) however I got a price from Carwow and I can get a brand new one for £21,500 – it seems a no-brainer to get it brand new seeing as I am not saving anything by getting it second hand so the question is – are dealers likely to discount by a decent amount or (as I understand is the case these days) they don’t have the margins to do so?

Edukator
    Free Member

Only one way to find out, make an offer.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, not ready to start wasting someone’s time on it right now as I am starting to look (won’t be changing until late summer) but just trying to see what is out there and what way to play it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Make sure you are comparing like with like. Optional extras can soon rack up the price.
    That car you linked to is over £26k new.

johndoh
    Free Member

That car you linked to is over £26k new.

From what I can see of it, it is a standard GT-Line with no extras apart from the side steps. The Carwow price I got was for the same car (ie, petrol, manual) the only difference is that it doesn’t have the steps (ie, the car I looked at has a list price of £26,000)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I went onto the Kia main site and built the car there. Its £25,195 with no extras.

http://www.kia.com/uk/utility/build-your-kia.carcode.all-new-sportage/#/trim

Red paint adds £575!!!

Steps are £390.

philjunior
    Free Member

Bear in mind what options you’d actually like too – no point in paying for things you don’t actually want, unless you reckon you’ll more than make it back when you sell it.

ourmaninthenorth

Just looking to replace our current car and had been looking at nearly new Kia Sportage GT Lines – however prices seem to be pretty hefty for nearly new (£21,000 for this one) however I got a price from Carwow and I can get a brand new one for £21,500 – it seems a no-brainer to get it brand new

Since the use of finance to buy new cars has become so dominant*, so the manufacturer/dealer network now also dominate second hand car sales.

It’s a deliberate ploy to keep second hand prices artificially high. This has the benefit of (1) maintaining a healthy balance sheet position for manufacturers and dealers (2) pushing you into buying new to maintain production and ensure that you continue to buy debt products.

At best it’s a bit iffy, but at worst it has the whiff of cartel about it.

*Think of car finance as buying a debt product and getting the use of a car thrown in as a sweetener.

CountZero

It’s a deliberate ploy to keep second hand prices artificially high. This has the benefit of (1) maintaining a healthy balance sheet position for manufacturers and dealers (2) pushing you into buying new to maintain production and ensure that you continue to buy debt products.

I’ve spoken to lots of people who lease cars, who’ve asked to buy the car at the end, but the price they’ve been offered was way beyond what they were willing to spend, so they’ve gone for another car, while the first goes off to auction, which is where I come in…

aracer
    Free Member

Just ours 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah – you are all sat around wasting your days on here so you are my captive audience 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Discounts on advertised prices on second hand cars?’ is closed to new replies.