Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Discoloured (in date) Bacon: safe to cook and eat?
  • Talkemada
    Free Member

I think the word you're searching for is 'northern'

😆

As for the student lad; I think he was a Home Counties boy. Well-spoken and polite. Bit odd though. It proper kicked off in one of the pubs once, and he sat in the middle of the whole thing, playing a Game Boy. Police came in, and nicked everyone, then he looked up, and said 'Oh, is it time to go home?'. Very odd…

konabunny
    Free Member

I had some dodgy bacon last year and spent the next four days doubled over in agony in one of two places: the bog and bed.

Do you have wifi and a laptop?

sambob
    Free Member

you will be fine and i assume you have eaten it by now. it loses the greyness when cooked anyway

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    You haven't replied to my e-mail.

Ahhh. Like that is it? We know what you're doing…… 😉

poppa
    Free Member

pork is grey, not pink. pink is artificial colouring.

Yes, pork is grey. But bacon is traditionally cured with saltpetre, which turns it pink.

I wouldn't be surprised if cheap bacon is dyed though.

poppa
    Free Member

Aside:

A mate of mine came home from the pub once to find a plate of parma ham in the fridge, which he scoffed down. The next day his parents asked him if he had eaten the bacon their friend had dropped off. Yummy.

Talkemada
    Free Member

It's ok I'm still alive! 😀

Had to pop out for something this morning, sorry to keep you worrying.

No ill effects, and I'd definitely know by now. Bit windy, but that could be anything really.

If you consider the sate of meat preparation and storage in countries where refrigeration is non-existent, then it shows just how fussy we are in the West, about meat. Pork needs extra care, of course, but sheep and cows are herbivorous, so their meat is less dangerous. Less pathogens or something.

I just thought it was a bit odd, as I've not seen that before. Same brand of bacon I always buy, and I've never had any problems with it before. It's not the cheap muck you see in some supermarkets (Economy Bacon- WTF??).

I've got a pretty strong constitution anyway, my mum didn't fuss about bleaching every single surface when I was an infant, all that nonsense. I've got a pretty healthy immune system. I've not had anything more than a slight cold all winter.

Well we live and learn (if we live)! At least now I know that slightly discoloured bacon is safe to eat!

Thanks for your replies, not that many of them were actually all that useful! 😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

On the subject of 'safe to eat' how long do people leave food in a pot for without covering or chilling?

A couple of days (covered though), unless it's hot weather, then it goes in the fridge once it's cooled down. Especially if it's meat. Cooked meat is more dangerous than raw meat, if left unrefridgerated.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Discoloured (in date) Bacon: safe to cook and eat?’ is closed to new replies.