Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Discobrakes pads
  • bigjim

Anyone use these? Tempted to give them a whirl, though quite happy with Superstar ones so far. They are very cheap!

theotherjonv

Yes, and they work. End of.

Or at least until someone comes along and reckons they get better wear from something costing twice the price – but I view pads as disposable items and treat them as such. When they wear out I put new ones in, and at a fiver or so each time as long as they last a reasonable length of time I’m not that arsed to evaluate the in depth economics.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Disco ones are new to me, I too am not convinced by the Superstar sintered pads. For that price I will give them a go next time I need pads, if they are junk it’s no biggy. If you get them and like them let us know!

Northwind

Not as good as the Superstar ones in my experience- the sintered ones didn’t last as long and don’t have the same power either, though they’re perfectly good. I did have one have most of the friction material fall off on one, which is ironic I guess since it’s supposed to be Superstar that do that. Certainly good enough though.

I guess it depends how highly you value performance, vs not buying parts from a known fud. But on merit the SS pads are definately the better option, in my experience. But I’d happily use either if the SS ones were unavailable.

thegman67

I’ve used Disco pads for the last 3 years and they are spot on

mthead
    Free Member

i like ss sintered
    good all round quality for the gritty wet rideing
    i tried the disco ones last well at the cost of stopping power.
    more noticable when you go back to the ss ones.

cp

I’ve used superstar sintered & disco sintered.

Superstar are far superior – in terms of wear, feel & out right braking performance. Disco don’t get much better with use, whereas superstar seem to bed in nicely.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Disco Kevlar pads are awesome improved my brakes massively.

bigjim

not buying parts from a known fud

😀

Been happy with SS sintered pads so far but thought might try some of these kevlar ones, maybe I’ll get one of each, probably out the same factory anyway!

julianwilson
    Free Member

highly likely thet are all from the same factory just painted a different colour.

FWIW I have had good ssc pads and also falling apart ones, and similarly falling apart ‘imperial’ branded ones: I expect there was a bad batch from which both brands pads were made, and I wonder whether quality is exactly the same on every production run when you are building to that price.

Northwind

julianwilson – Member

highly likely thet are all from the same factory just painted a different colour.

They’re not the same pad… At least, the Shimano XT and Formula Oro ones aren’t, there’s slight differences in construction. But could still possibly be from the same manufacturer.

snaps
    Free Member

Yep, got these in my XTRs & they’ve been fine.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Having worn out both ‘genuine’ pads and cheap pads in very sort rides I too look at them as a disposable item.

The hardest wearing pads I’ve had were a set of A2Z pads in some Juicy Sevens. They lasted twelves months and two trips to Morzine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Discobrakes pads’ is closed to new replies.