Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Disclosing Sales Figures To A New Employer?
  • cyclepathologist
    Free Member

If you were applying for a job in a shop that is in direct competition with your current employer and you took evidence of your very good sales figures from your current shop/employer to the interview as evidence of how good you are, bearing in mind the figures will display yours and others sales figures from different locations, would you get into trouble with the current employer and cause concern to the prospective new employer?
    Not sure if this is the done thing or not.
    Bluddy ell, that’s a long sentence

footflaps

Tricky one. I’d give the figure for your sales.

Mind you, most Sales people take everything with them, inc confidential stuff, clients etc. Are you sure you’re cut out for sales (having a conscience)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d wonder if you got the job would you show commercial information to competitors?

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Retail so not ‘sales’ as in the Rep.’ing kind of position.
    That’s what I was thinking Mike but I could really do with seeing how good my figures are but not get them worried about my integrity……which may not be as good as I’d like to think it is anyway if I’m contemplating this?

scaredypants

how would you convince them that the figures you show are accurate anyway ?
    (IANASalesperson)

footflaps

You could always show them commission statements as proof of sales etc..

GJP
    Free Member

Can’t you describe your performance in less specific terms. Constantly beating targets by x%, relative to peers etc. I would have thought you were sailing pretty close to breach of contract, gross negligence sharing any figures with a competitor. I do not work in sales. Most importantly do not take evidence, but I may be interpreting what you have written too literally.

br
    Free Member

So, you are asking them to employ someone who would show THEIR sales figures to your NEXT employer?

I wouldn’t take actual numbers, but would be happy to ‘talk’ numbers.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

I think I might have a compromise. I could redact the figures which is the sensitive info. At least then the new employer would see my position without the commercially sensitive sales figures? Makes it a bit vague but they can see my standing in the company.
    Would that work?

meehaja
    Free Member

Surely “my figures are excellent, x % etc. actual figures are of course available from my referees”

andyrm
    Free Member

Whenever I hire sales guys I always ask for payslips to see commission payments.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cyclepathologist – Member
    I think I might have a compromise. I could redact the figures which is the sensitive info. At least then the new employer would see my position without the commercially sensitive sales figures? Makes it a bit vague but they can see my standing in the company.
    Would that work?

check your contract, if I was your boss you would be out for something like that.

If you can’t get through the interview without the figures I wouldn’t be giving you the job either.

brakes
    Free Member

give relative amounts rather than absolutes, if you can work them out/ make them up.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Pretty obvious now you’ve spelt it out. I’ll not bother.

nedrapier

wot brakes said. “I produced x% of the total sales for the period in a y person team. Top (top 3, whatever) sales for n out of the last r months” yadda yadda.

nedrapier

sorry, you’d got it already. good luck! 🙂

Tom83

Someone in my company did that at an interview with our competitor. He didn’t get the job, and the competitor told our boss. Ended up getting sacked!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Disclosing Sales Figures To A New Employer?’ is closed to new replies.