Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • disc rotors advice
  • mav12
    Free Member

excuse my ignorance i am buying some slx brakes which come with splined rotors my wheels are 6 bolt what is the benefit of bigger rotors, if i go for 160 rotors are xt rotors worth the extra cost over deore rotors thanks

druidh
    Free Member

XT will be slightly lighter than Deore and a mibbe look a bit swankier.

You can buy centrelock-6 bolt adapters instead of new rotors too.

davewalsh
    Free Member

You can’t adapt splines rotors to 6 bolt hubs (but you can the other way around). Can the supplier not supply with 6 bolt rotors instead.

For every 20mm increase in rotor diameter you get around 10-15% increase in power.

XT rotors not worth the extra IMO, will be a few grams lighter but not significant enough to feel any different when riding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddyground
    Free Member

Bigger rotors for bigger and longer hills really – small ones get hot real fast and can boil the fluid, especially if you drag the brakes. Usually obvious in that the brake smells, smokes and stops working. Some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits, but this usually only discounts the 203mm rotors. 160mm should be fine for the UK – at most you’d possibly only need to change the front for a 180mm, but even this size is largely just a fashion item. You can go down a size on the rear to a 140mm to save minimal weight, but even on moderate hills you can set these boys on fire, especially if you can’t use the front to full effect. It is highly amusing to see a rear brake burning though 🙄

mav12
    Free Member

thanks guys i went for 180 front 160 rear supplier wouldnt swap the rotors so i will have to sell the splined rotors

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘disc rotors advice’ is closed to new replies.