• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Disc rotor size compatibility
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

I have an avid 185 disc up front but have purchased some shimano brakes. If I can keep the rotor I have and save on buying a new one it will be a bonus.

Th shimano brake and mount say 180mm disc.

Will the avid disc work? Or will the extra 5mm be too much and foul the caliper?

If it does foul is the a different mount I can buy to allow me to run my shimano caliper with the 185
    To confuse me even more hope appear to do a bracket that allows you to run a 183mm disc.
    Why all these different but close sizes. 185,183,180…. Help…..

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

My bike has 180mm Shimano rotors with XT brakes, using the Shimano adapters. There’s barely enough calliper clearance as it is, a few more mm wouldn’t fit.

jeffl

It’s probably easier and cheaper to buy a new disk rather than some esoteric bracket/mount/convertor that pushes the calliper out by 2.5mm.

roblane65
    Free Member

don’t use the shimano mount simply put the caliper on the avid mount your already using and it should be fine just a bit of mix and match.

scotroutes

😆

You might be able to put a 2.5mm space between the rotor and the adapter or between the adapter and the forks but you’d also need longer bolts. Personally, I’d just get the right-sized rotor.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just stick the Shimano brake on the 185 adapter you presumably already have? I’ve got two Avid 185mm rotors running with Shimano brakes front and rear, no problem.I just used two 185 adapters ,one Avid, one generic.

davewalsh
    Free Member

If it’s a 185 PM-PM Avid adaptor then it won’t work properly with the shimano caliper as this adaptor relies on the CPS washers to take out the misalignment, as the tops of the adaptor aren’t flat in relation to each other. Either buy a 180 rotor or use your shimano adaptor with washers to alter the spacing and longer bolts if required.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Pretty sure I’m running avid rotors with shimano brakes without any problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

….Not 185s you’re not, not without faffing about.

NormalMan

Sorry to jump in but I’m looking to replace elixir 3’s with deore on my son’s bike. It has a 180 g2 cleansweep front rotor. (160 rear)

Can I get away without changing that size?

jeffl

Yeah, 180 and 160 should be fine. I’m running some random aftermarket (non shimano) one’s on a bike with shimano non series callipers and they’re fine.

NormalMan

Thanks jeffl

nick1962
    Free Member

Pretty sure I’m running avid rotors with shimano brakes without any problems.

….Not 185s you’re not, not without faffing about.

Just checked my bike to make sure I’m not going mad.Got two Avid 185 rotors and white Shimano 486 brakes.Rear brake mount adapter is definitely Avid with no washers and working fine with even pad wear and no rubbing.I’m sure the front adapter is an Avid too.This needed one regular thin washer (not an Avid spacer type) between the fork mount and adapter on the bottom mount to work without rubbing.

poah
    Free Member

CPS adaptor won’t work on the fork

NormalMan

Ok, help needed / possible stupid question time!

I’ve fitted the deore brakes to my son’s bike and successful shortened the hoses. First time if ever done that job and was pleased with the result.

However the rear brake went on fine, although using the shimano supplied shorter bolts. Not the original Avid ones.

The issue is the front. The rotor is a 180 g2 cleansweep. The caliper will not line up. The pads sitting above the top of the rotor by a couple of mm. The supplied Shimano bolts are too short. The stock Avid ones had 2 spacers either side of the caliper. I’ve tried a few different combinations but can’t get it right.

Anyone successfully sorted this?

Thanks in advance.

andyl
    Free Member

what adapter are you using? Is it the right way round?

@poah – isn’t that adapter supposed to have the cupped washers to fine tune the spacing?

NormalMan

The adaptor is the oem Avid one. It is the right way round.

Do I need a Shimano one?

andyl
    Free Member

The avid brakes should adhere to the standard so you should be able to get it to work with the correct use of the spacers.

But to save faffing I would say get yourself a shimano one or at least a more generic one (I prefer shimano)

If you can post a pic up it might help show what is going on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Disc rotor size compatibility’ is closed to new replies.