• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gamo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • disc rotor shape
  • adeward
    Free Member

this week i will be mainly interested in brake discs,, lots of shapes available

straight ( well circular actualy) with holes
    weavy and wobbly

what works well ?
    and why

floating or non floating

adeward
    Free Member

the silence is ….. interesting

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know of no data or research into this. Presumably there is some somewhere.

Drillings first appeared on motorcycle discs to help disperse water

Floating discs allow for expansion without warping

jam-bo

and they make a cool ticking noise as they cool down.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've quite taken to Shimano Floating discs (6 bolt). They are available at a good price, and don't have the clearance issues I've had with my Hope/Fox/Chris King combo.

The reason for buying is they look cool. All the other stuff is incidental.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As with many of these things, if one type worked significantly better than others then we'd all be riding it.

No difference.

wwaswas

Galfer have always claimed an advantage to their wavey rotor and it's patented which is why not many use it.

In most cases people just use whatever the manufacturer of their brake make.

tron
    Free Member

This may be a stupid question, but can I stick any rotor I like on my brakes? I seem to keep bending Magura rotors and they're a fair whack dearer than Shimanos etc…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've had no compatibility issues with Hope, Shimano and Avid in almost every combination. If the disc is the right diameter, I don't think you would struggle.

compositepro
    Free Member

never had a problem with basic round discs….but if you head over to mtbr to the hardcore never wrong about brakes section theres a lot of opinions (some very interesting lol)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The reason for floating rotors is that you can match the carrier colour with your other bling

glenh
    Free Member

I think the idea of wavy/serrated rotors is to help clear crap off the pads.
    Also it makes a cool sound.

poppa
    Free Member

Wavey makes sense to me.

If you have holes drilled in your rotors, then mud will just fill them up. If you have wavey rotors the mud will be displaced to the inside/outside of the rotor and fall off.

mttm
    Free Member

No particular science behind this, but I personally prefer nice round rotors with 100% of the pad in contact 100% of the time. This gives a nice consistent feel, with none of the pulsation that you can get with some of the more overtly wavey styles. Just my two penn'orth.

alpin
    Free Member

If you have holes drilled in your rotors, then mud will just fill them up.

doesn't actually happen in the real world, does it?

i'm quite fond of the Avid rotors on the GF's bike

i don't need new rotoes but the XT six bolt looks quite nice….

glenh
    Free Member

I hate those avid rotors – they give really excessive pulsing in the power in my opinion, as they don't have a constant surface area unlike magura galfer rotors for example).

alpin
    Free Member

mmmm…. have never noticed any pulsing. this is with SLX and Deore brakes.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Can't get better than than plain old round rotors. I don't like wavey rotors. Round rotors have the same surface area for the pad to contact. The wave rotors have upto a third of the pad not in contact with the rotor, at half the circumference of the disc. Also they do pulse! Of course all wave rotors are different buy generally they are of a similar ilk. The best rotors I have had are my old XTR round as a pound centre lock rotors. They seem to work better than the other rotors for the same size disc brake. I know this is because they are fully round with a few little holes here and there to clean the mud and stop heat build up.

Bring it on nerds!

pitduck
    Free Member

The reason for floating rotors is that you can match the carrier colour with your handbag 🙄

spooky_b329

As said the wavey rotors are meant to help wipe crap off the pads to maintain braking.

The Galfer discs as used by Magura are wavy, but throughout the pattern the disc area remains the same, if you look at any other wavy disc the disc surface gets wider and shallower at different parts of the wavy bit, which is why you get the pulsing.

I have a 160mm front Hope Mono, its really bad for pulsing. I rotate it every few months for an older XT disc as they seem to help keep the pads worn evenly, swapping them will solve the pulsing for a few months till it gets noticeable, then I swap them back and the Hope disc will be fine for a bit.

gamo
    Free Member

Replaced my Magura venti disks with a pair of these recently and so far very happy,less than half the weight and no pulsing or any other probs!
    http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=52
    Good price too!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘disc rotor shape’ is closed to new replies.