• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by juan.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • disc road wheels 1500g or under??
  • karnali
    Free Member

thinking of selling the road and cx bikes and going with a carbon disc cx bike for all duties and 2 sets of wheels. Who does a nice lightish wheelset for road tyres?

ta

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Depends what axles you require. mavic ksyrium pro are around the 1500g mark but they’re not cheap. Light bicycle do carbon but the novatec disc hubs are heavy.

I got some pro 2 laced to alpha 400 disc. They’re heavier than 1500g but they’re bomb proof.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Kensis crosslight are just over and cost about £300

Mavic ksyrium are also about that and are £850ish

Reynolds assault slg are 1565g and £1200ish

Zipp 303 are silly and are £2500 ish

I’ve ordered some Reynolds! 😳

j40aja
    Free Member

I’ve got a set on order from Light bicycle with Novatec disc hubs and they should come in just over 1400 grams for the pair.
    Depending on import duty etc should cost around £450.

stevious

Novatec CXDs are someting in that ballpark

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The only way to get under 1500g ( i have done it twice) is with tubular carbon rims. My mtb 29er wheels use carbon tunular rims in 28h sapim laser spokes and hubs that weight 450g. you could use a carbon tubular rim 28h, sapkm laser or cxray spokes and dt swiss 24h hubs for something under 1400g. I did a set like this for my wifes bike.

All the carbon clincher rims are 450g or more getting under 1500g is quite diffcult unless you go with 24H rims and then expensive light hubs will be required. i have built a set for myself of 24h pacenti sl25 rims with cxrays and novatec hubs that weigh 1555g that are holding together quite well.

Thes best way to get light disc brake wheels is with handbuilts.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Stans race gold 29er wheels are 1400 and no carbon in sight. Not sure if they are doing road disc wheels yet

bigrich

light bicycle will use hope hubs if you ask them.

seanbolton
    Free Member

Kinesis CX Disc are good. A shade over 1500g but excellent wheels and great value, about £270 ish on the web, e.g. Wiggle

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/wheels/crosslight-cxdisc

crazy-legs

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/road-wheels/argent-road-tubeless-disc

1531g the pair.
    I love American Classic wheels, got several pairs of them on various bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

The only way to get under 1500g ( i have done it twice) is with tubular carbon rims.

Don’t be stupid. It’s very doable with virtually any rim you want, just need some light-ish hubs! Admittedly if you want 88mm deep rims it’ll be a struggle.

38mm deep carbon clinchers from LB are 400g, the 23mm deep ones are 360g +/- 15g, IME if you ask they’ll do you a light pair. So, pair of those, Extralite hubs, Revolutions, you’d be under 1300g, Pillar ti spokes would get you under 1200g. DT240s or even Hope would be sub 1500g, that’s not a light target.

eshershore
    Free Member

the Alex rims (badged as Roval Traversee) I use on my 29’er are 453gm and 455gm (I weighed them before rebuilding) and made from good old aluminium alloy, certainly not carbon.

choose some decent hubs and spokes, should able to hit the weight target without spending silly money?

monkeyp

The Kinesis wheels can be had for under £250. Mine should be delivered in the next few days. Whatever you get, make sure they are rated for the right tyre pressure as my old wheels split due to me being too confident – 120psi on Fulcrum 29er wheels. I did manage about 6000 miles before it happened though.

karnali
    Free Member

What size road tyres are folks running on the kinesis wheels 23 or 25s

monkeyp

I’ll be running 25s

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What size road tyres are folks running on the kinesis wheels 23 or 25s

When I asked Kinesis they said you shouldnt run less than 25 on them.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Continental gp4 seasons 28c at about 90psi..a slight compromise but comfier (must be getting old)

seanbolton
    Free Member

I have Conti GP4000 28mm on my Crosslight CX disc wheels for road riding. About 80 to 90 psi.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Thanks to “njee20” you have certainly gave me food for thought, after far to many nipples snapping on my LB carbon builds, i’m going to buy all the items myself and get a wheel builder to build.
    Going for Extralite SPD hubs from Europe while the Euro is still good 😀

Can anybody tell me of a UK contact for 38mm Carbon clinchers rims without brake surface ? Done a lot of searching but not much showing up, don’t want Zipp or Enve pricing ……

Gee76
    Free Member

I have these DT Swiss R23’s for sale for £265 (RRP is £550), brand new and only 1450g…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-brand-new-dt-swiss-r23-road-wheelset-1470g-265-266

Drop me a mail if any good.

g

boblo
    Free Member

monkeyp – Member
    The Kinesis wheels can be had for under £250.

Where please? (must resist, must resist etc)

cannondaleking
    Free Member

What njee said dude , and some info from one member here seems way off target!!!!! Sub 1500 wheelset for your needs easy I’ve built shed loads in the last three years.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run Archetypes on Tune on my disc roadie (28h). They came in at 1600g as Archetypes are not a superlight rim (c. 480g) but I’m going to re-rim them with some LB carbons over the summer I think which will shave some weight.

ransos
    Free Member

Ryde Pulse comp disc rims are 330g. You could build those into a sub 1400g wheelset reasonably easily.

TiRed

Does the 1500g include the rotors? It should. Disc wheels really require carbon rims. I’d go with 35mm which is a genuine do it all rim. Think ffwd sell their carbon rims separately.

njee20
    Free Member

Think ffwd sell their carbon rims separately

FFWD use the same rims as Planet X. Certainly did a few years ago.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So what’s current thinking for spoke count and pattern for road disc wheelsets?

Gee76
    Free Member

Hmmm bit early to say but Jury appears to be still out on this.

I run 28 (revs) on both my DT240/Light Bike 35mm Wide carbon builds for my Am/Trail bikes and that seems fine so….

I’ve plumped for 24 (Aerolites) on my DT240/Light Bike 35mm Deep (20mm wide) carbon builds for road and cx use.

Would maybe have gone 20 hole on the front but the matching DT Swiss Disc Hubs are hard to come by as yet. I think a good chunk of the strength is required to carry braking forces tho and not just resist the knocks so fairly happy with 24 hole…. well we’ll see when I get em built…. got all the bits bar front hub.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How you lacing them up?

Gee76
    Free Member

Nice simple 3 cross as I’ve done for my MTB builds previously. 285mm j-bend black aerolites and ally nips for me fair weather riding.

Need to check my erd tonight but may squeeze in a prelim lace up ofthe rear to make sure all fits OK. Fingers crossed.

monkeyp

Boblo – got mine from Winstanly’s.

Weight was spot on and they feel nice on my long commute. Look good too for the money they are hard to beat!

juan
    Free Member

Putting Revolution on 38mm deep carbon rims is a bit thick if you ask me.
    Kinda having a wheel with the opposite of what you want.
    DT Swiss carbon wheel set with disc are easily sub 1500. in both clincher and tubular, shout if you need more info.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘disc road wheels 1500g or under??’ is closed to new replies.