Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Disc Pads for BB7's
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Need to get some spare pads for my BB7's as I'm off on a trip and want some spares but I'm shocked at the cost of these – £15.99 a pair! – at CRC for Avid's own pads … that'll be £32(ish) for a set then, about half what the original calipers, pads and rotors cost!

What is the 'best of the best of the rest' ?

Seen some EBC, A2Z at about a tenner a pair, any good? Or what else can people recommend around a tenner a pair – no good if they're 12.99 a pair as I might as well get the originals?

Ta 😕

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

No one? 😥

scaredypants

http://www.discobrakes.com/ ?

not used them before but will do next time I think

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks, I did look at discobrakes and superstar after doing some searches but also found some comments about them failing – pad material coming away from the backing on wet rides, but it was also suggested these were a bad batch?

Great prices though!

EBC were commented as being better?

Don't really want to get something that may fail but was hoping to get some more recommendations based on use, might be better to stump up for the avid's but I think £16 for a pair of standard pads is taking the micky! 😯

stumpy01

I have used lots of sets of Superstar pads and never experienced this pad problem that seemed quite a problem a yr or so ago.

I have used them for two biking weeks in Spain (Sierra Nevada mountains) and had no problems either. The firsr yr I had to change the front pads halfway throug the holiday, but they were almost gone when I went out there. This year I used pads that had already been on the bike for ~2 months & I reckon I still have a summer of riding left in them.

The only thing I recommend if you do get them is to remove the paint from around the edge of the backing plate – I used a scalpel, but a small needle file would be fine or perhaps some wet/dry paper.
    I found that the extra thickness of the paint meant that they wouldn't retract very well & the pads were constantly rubbing the caliper. After removing the paint, I have had no issues.
    This isn't just Superstar pads. Most aftermarket pads seem to have painted backing plates, and would probably benefit from having it removed around the edge before fitment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Disc Pads for BB7's’ is closed to new replies.