Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disc pad centralisation
  • allthepies
    Free Member

OK, got some new Hope X2 brakes and have watched the Hope vid about centring the pistons. But not sure what the bloke is actually on about when he describes using the screwdriver to manipulate the pad. Anyone care to translate ?

Everything OK up to 1:50 in the vid, then the juju starts.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akIWGqEE0PY[/video]

Dales_rider
    Free Member

You dont touch the pistons, you press the pad back plate on the opposite side of the pad thats contacting the disc first.
    This presses the pad up against the rotor, flexes the rotor and pushes the opposite pad [the one thats contacting first] and therefore pistons in.
    Small bits at a time till the rotor isnt flexing when the brakes are applied.

easygirl

Just put the tip of the screwdriver against the pad backing and lever it slightly.pull the lever on the brake to bring the opposite piston out , whilst forcing the screwdriver one in.
    Check the centralisation, if its not right do it again, and again, and again
    You will get the hang after a while
    I’ve found hope brakes tend to go out quite often, so I do this regularly

allthepies
    Free Member

Cheers! But when using the screwdriver do you also pump the brake or just use the force of the screwdriver against pad to push the opposite (touching) pad/piston back ?

allthepies
    Free Member

How does the screwdriver side piston go back in (retract) ? The screwdriver doesn’t touch the piston if I understand correctly. If you pull the lever then won’t both pistons come out ?

<confused>

bullroar
    Free Member

They won’t both come out because you are pushing the pad back against one piston so all the braking force goes to the piston on the opposite side.

It is better to gently squeeze the lever rather than pump it or do an “emergency stop”.

Onzadog
    Free Member

For big adjuztments, squeeze as you do it, for fine adjustment, screwdriver, then squeeze.

allthepies
    Free Member

Cheers all, I guess it’s one of those things you need to try yourself to see how it works 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

This also works a treat on shimano brakes 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Easygirl fraid you’re wrong. Read again what I said, but just add squeeze the brake lever thats what moves the “Lagging” piston out.

easygirl

Dales
    Yep,sorry, that’s what I meant to say 😕

Dales_rider
    Free Member

easygirl – Member

Dales
    Yep,sorry, that’s what I meant to say

No worries its quite difficult to put a thing you know how to do in words, easier to show someone.

inthehouse
    Free Member

A usefull tip I was showed when doing the same,tear a piece of cardboard off the disc-pad packaging box,fold it in half and put between pads too get an even braking surface when you put the wheel + disc back in…works a treat!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disc pad centralisation’ is closed to new replies.