Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disc or V brakes………………………….
  • Rochey
    Free Member

OK here it is, I currently ride a Trek 6800 V brake hardtail and I really enjoy riding it, had to for approx 5ish years but im thinking of converting it to disc brakes.

My current wheels can run disc's, my forks can also take disc but my frame??? i think i will need the adapter thingy but I have no clue what one if any will fit.

Anyway what i'm trying to say is shall i convert my current bike to disc's or just buy a need one? Money is tight and would have to sell my current one to help with new bike but if i as to onvert how much should i expect to spend?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Your best option is simply to put a disc brake on the front and worry about the rear as and when you're in the Market for a new frame. It is the front that does most of the stopping work so this will still be a significant upgrade.

tails
    Free Member

As geetee or get a new frame i reckon, those on one frames go very cheap second hand.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dekerfer
    Free Member

I run V on the back and a disc brake on the front. Works well and many others do the same. Most of the stopping power should come from the front anyway and the rear is often just a 'drag brake'.

Give it a go as its a low cost solution – if you try an Avid BB7 cable brake or similar, you won't even need a new lever. The BB7 is very good by the way, at least on a par with a low cost hydraulic.

MrSparkle

Second that.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If it's got a couple of m6 bolt holes near the dropout then the bracket is a standard trek one.
    It's a little baffling why they built frames with a couple of holes so you could mount a bracket to give it a couple of holes to mount a brake?!?!

mboy
    Free Member

Pretty much all Treks since about 2000/2001 have been able to run disc brakes, you often just need to buy the disc brake adapter off Trek UK.

Give Trek UK a call, tell them the year and model of your frame, I'm almost certain they can provide you with the correct disc mount adapter to fit…

Earl
    Free Member

Good v-brakes pads make a lot of difference. These with the shoes are great.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35465

chorlton
    Free Member

I had a 2002 Trek 6500 and used disc brakes for a few years with no problem, and without any sort of adapter.

wors

i have am old gary fisher frame (pretty much trek) which needed an adaptor. I can sell you it if you like.

avdave2

Another here with BB7 on the front and V at the back. It's a big improvement over V's front and rear. For me now the biggest issue is the rear clogging with mud rather than stopping. Changing or having the frame modded are out of the question at the moment though as I'd also have to send the Rohloff off to be converted as well which would add a lot to the cost.

Makore
    Free Member

Disc brakes are a massive improvement over v's – in out climate it should only be lightweight xc racers using v's!
    For the rear as stated above you need the adapter bracket for Trek frames. I've got one you can have for a fiver posted if interested.

uplink
    Free Member

Sign of times this

Not a single poster has come out with the claim that a well set up V brake is just as good as a disc brake

😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disc or V brakes………………………….’ is closed to new replies.