Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disc mount adapters
  • Potdog
    Free Member

I know that a2z make an adapter to allow you to fit disc brakes to frames with no tabs on the rear stays, but are there any others out there worth looking at too?

I get the impression that these are becoming less and less common as older frames bite the dust, but I'm in the process or giving an old frame a new lease of life and would really like to fit disc brakes to it.

Cheers.

schmiken

The A2Z one is pretty good, I used it for two years with no problems.

nickjb
    Free Member

The specialized one is pretty good. You need a small hole on your dropout (standard on the right age speshes, easy to add if not) but once fitted there is no extra faff when removing the wheel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Potdog
    Free Member

Been searching for that, but can't seem to find them stocked anywhere. I seem to remember that it had a bar or something to help spread the braking loads.

wwaswas

some discussion of one alternative here.

most of the rest (other than that a2z one) seem to be £80+

oldgit
    Free Member

I used a torsion arm one on my original Inbred singlespeed for years. I think that was made by Superstar, but not the current Superstar Components. It was a flexible link between the canti boss and drop out.
    It worked really well, as did my mates one on his old dawes Edge s/s.

alanf
    Free Member

I've got one made by BETD / Goldtec but I think its GT specific.
    It needs the frame drilling to accept the adapter but its been great since i installed it – no messing about with wheel changes either.

Not sure it would be compatible with your frame, but you could check with BETD to see if you could use it?

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Nothing listed on the BETD site anymore. Not that I can find anyway. The old Spesh one with the arm to the canti boss was fave, but looks like they stopped making those quite a while ago.

Think I've secured a 2nd hand A2Z one though, so at least the frame can live on a little longer. Just a little more paint stripper to be applied before the respray can commence.

neilnevill
    Free Member

wiggle have the a2z. It's a good adapter, had one on my unicogger for 3 years and 12000 miles – no problems.

If respraying the frame i suggest spraying the outer plate of the a2z to match, it blends in nicely then, most people don't notice I use one.

Potdog
    Free Member

Nice tip. Cheers.
    I have used the A2Z before on an old GT. But I didn't remember them being so bloody expensive in the oldern days 😉

warpcow
    Free Member

There's one called "Brake Therapy". Supposed to be the best but it's reflected in the price I seem to remember. Has funny rules about what hubs it works with too.

Potdog
    Free Member

Looks very similar to the old Specialized one. It's also $150 so probably more than the whole bike would be worth.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Disc mount adapters’ is closed to new replies.