Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • disc equiped road/tourer/commuter……………any ideas pleas.
  • ton

thinking about a sand on one 29r with carbon fork, marys, slick tyres and discs……….
    who else does a similar bike. please.

miketually
    Free Member

The Trek Portland looks nice.

firestarter
    Free Member

singular peregrine would be my choice. Kona sutra looks nice too but not as nice as peregrine. Buy a small one so i can get dibbs on it tony 🙂 cheers for the donation too mate

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Any number of disc-equipped cross bikes- e.g. Croix de Fer (or whatever it's called)?

CHB

Ton, you just described my new bike to a T. (with the exception of the tyres). You out tonight? 1830 Gaping Goose. [sorry for the marginal hijack].

ton

and i should have post, needs to be steel amd not a cx bike (just sold one, it was crap) 😆

funkynick

Road Rat?

Just got mine the other day and it's rather nice, although the other half does describe the colour as 'poo brown'!

robdob
    Free Member

I know you said steel but I'm just about to buy a Marin Toscana. It's sold as a commuter type touring thingy. 700c, lovely shallow drops (really comfy and not scary lower position!) carbon forks, triple chainset and most importantly good quality mavic rimmed disc wheels. It looks a but weird on their website but is really nice in real life. Better than a cx bike as it has a triple on it and nice strong wheels. Plus it's not an ultra racy bum in the air type position. I think it's ideal for what you want.

I'm going to be selling my Planet X Kaffenback to get it, I'm that impressed!!!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Genesis Croix de Fer (sp?)

Pricey but they are gorgeous

AdamM
    Free Member

Yep, Singular Peregrine ticks all of those boxes, looks gorgeous, rides erally nicely and you'll be buying from a top bloke. What more could you want?

john_l
    Free Member

Peregrine thirded.

ton

peregrine looks ace, but i want it now, not october…………
    so i have gone down the on one route
    29r sand
    carbon forks
    wheelset
    silver marys
    h/set
    all for just over £400……………bargaintastic….. 8)

STATO
    Free Member

Peregrine thirded

Peregrine never in stock!

Ton, id thought the same as you when i saw the on-one slot 29er. My main concern tho was the difficulty in running it with drop bars, to replicate my current tourer position (in length and bar height, remember youll be running a 470mm fork!) would mean having to buy a much smaller size frame and a huuuge seatpost.

ton

i will be running it with mary bars in a high position.
    i do not like to bend my back…………… 😉

AdamM
    Free Member

all for just over £400……………bargaintastic…..

Hard to argue with the price, that's for sure.

yossarian
    Free Member

i'm torn between waiting for a peregrine and going for a scandal 29er. Either way I'm going for an alfine hub on the back, bollocks to how the shifter looks on drops.

AdamM
    Free Member

i'm torn between waiting for a peregrine and going for a scandal 29er. Either way I'm going for an alfine hub on the back, bollocks to how the shifter looks on drops.

I forget what it is called, but there is a new bar end shifter that works with an Alfine hub which would save you from using the Shimano one.

EDIT: It's a J-tek shifter, available from SJS Cycles

STATO
    Free Member

torn between waiting for a peregrine and going for a scandal 29er

The problem with that is the difference in length, the singular large is the same length as the 16" Scandal, so your going to be compromised on bar/stem choice by your choice of frame.

ton

i owned a sand 29r previously
    it was the comfiest bike i have ever ridden when fitted with marys…

theflatboy
    Free Member

so i have gone down the on one route
    29r sand
    silver marys

i owned a sand 29r previously
    it was the comfiest bike i have ever ridden when fitted with marys…

😆 😆

geoffj

Croix de Fer 3rded

slugwash
    Free Member

…..silver marys

Ton, I know that the silver marys are suposedly made for 'heavier riders' and that with your love of fish 'n chips and a full english you're not in any imminent danger of anorexia, but they do weigh a fookin' couple of hundredweight more than the standard ones! Complete overkill IMHO. I bought a pair without checking the weight 'cos they matched the stem and seat post on my folder. Our postie's now off work with a couple of slipped discs and a hernia 😉

However, they do look good on the folder…….

Sam

Peregrine is never in stock because you buggers buy them too quickly – plus we had some QC issues with the first batch, now unavoidable delays with production due to lug availability. Anyhoooo – I'm trying to get shot of my personal large touring build because I never ride it. If Ton or anyone else is interested drop me a mail.

Best,

Sam

STATO
    Free Member

waves hand in air at sam

(full build or frame/fork?)

Sam

No need to wave hand – send me an email 😉

This is the build

Frameset Singular Peregrine Large
    Headset Velo orange
    bottom bracket Campagnolo chorus
    cranks Campagnolo Record 180mm 39-50
    rear hub White Industries
    front hub Schmidt SON dyno
    spokes DT Swiss 14/15 Competition
    rims Mavic A317 disc silver
    tyres Schwalbe Stelvio 700×28
    cassette Shimano XT 8speed 12-28
    chain SRAM PC 78
    brake/gr lvrs Campagnolo Centaur
    brake calipers Avid BB7 road
    rear derailleur Shimano Dura Ace
    front derailleurShimano 105
    Seatpost Nitto
    seat Brooks B17 Champion special
    stem Velo Orange
    bars Nitto Randonneur 48cm
    bar tape Brooks leather
    mudguards Gilles Berthoud Stainless
    mudflap Gilles Berthoud leather
    lights Supernova E3 front and rear
    bell Japanese brass on HS spacer
    rear rack Velo orange steel
    front rack Nitto

And here's a pic

Spent well over two grand, barely ridden it, looking for £1400. Bags not included. If you don't want the dyno hub and lights that'd drop off a bit of money.

Pieface
    AdamM
    Free Member

Sam, I'd be interested in the dyno hub and lights if STATO isn't.

I could offer my Superstar hub/silver A317 rim wheel as part trade which would leave you with a complete bike to sell.

STATO
    Free Member

thats yours! wow! was looking at that on Flickr, beutiful, sadly its WAY over my meager budget. Thanks anyway Sam, ill just wait for the next boat-load to arrive and canabalise my old bikes for the build.

firestarter
    Free Member

very nice sam 😉

salsa fargo fits the bill too tony but still prefer the singular by a long shot

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘disc equiped road/tourer/commuter……………any ideas pleas.’ is closed to new replies.