Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Disc brakes with smallest callipers – or am I doing something wrong?
  • big_scot_nanny

Hi, I’ve been asking a lot of questions recently, but the input has been great, so here goes:

What hydraulic disc brakes would the hive mind recommend that have the smallest/neatest caliper bodies?

Reason I ask is I need new brakes for the flat bar roadrat with 160mm discs. The old magura julie’s slowly eroded away then a crash also smashed a lever. Finito.

No probs, I have a spare pair of BB7s off the fat bike, they’ll be perfect. Nope – caliper body is too wide and pings off the spokes.

Bugger, erm, got an old working pair of hayes strokers. Nope – caliper body too tall and it interfers with the mount adapter so I can’t mount the bolts properly.

Gnnnnnnrrrrfffckkkk ing bloody bike!

Any tips? save my sanity please!

I need to get another pair of Julie’s, don’t I? Can one still buy them?

wwaswas

space disk away from hub a bit?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve had a file a bit of the mounting hardware before. They aren’t all the same. Not dead yet!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

Clarks skeletals? Same pads as a Julie I believe and made by same manufacturer?

stumpy01

Might be a pain, but could you get some 180mm rotors to try (with suitable adaptor) with the BB7s? The extra 10mm further from the hub might mean that the caliper clears then spokes?

tymbian
    Free Member

Xtr’s.

honourablegeorge

BB7s fit my rat just fine. Ugly, but they fit

oxym0r0n

TRP spyre?

big_scot_nanny

Hmm, spacing the disc. Hadn’t thought of that. Good tip.

Not too keen on any more mechanical interventions like filing etc, to high a penalty of failure.

Last resort, shimano calipers, even Deores, do look mighty small and can get for tuppence a pair from Germany.

Right, step one – space disk with some washers. Will report.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I have a set of Julie’s that I’m not using anymore….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes with smallest callipers – or am I doing something wrong?’ is closed to new replies.