Viewing 4 posts - 121 through 124 (of 124 total)
  • Disc Brakes on Roadbikes – Lance Tweets
  • juan
    Free Member

The road fraternity is not ready and it's more about looking trick than real benefits.

Now have I had seen that before the Bday I would have asked you out 😉

I want to race hippo

Well at least you'll be a bit faster I think 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Juan – another time! You should see me in lycra!

shoefiti – Member

1) the Mavic (or other) support vehical would have a nitemare trying to get the wheels to fit your bike without the disc rubbing (any long term bike mechanic on here will vouch for that, as even same model hubs from the same manufacturer will occasionally rub the disc when swapped)- so that would cause really issues.

2) The danger aspect. Yes a spoke could cause injury, but they arn't as dangerous as a red hot (at bottom of decent etc)spinning piece of sharp steel.

3) Where are you going to use these disc brakes? coming down a mountain pass? Well you'd have to go up it first and the riders want the lightest wheels possible, so ad to the weight of the wheels a disc plus the extra spokes needed, as you can't run straight pull spokes with discs – so there go's your lightweight wheel set! (yes the rims could be a little lighter, but only by a small amount.

4) loss of areo advantage – as your now running a 2 or 3 cross spoke pattern so you'll be getting dropped on decents, not going faster due to being able to brake harder into corners (which isn't a problem anyway)

5) integrated implication – as far as i can see only the likes of cannondale would attempt it – cos they are a bit 'special' like that.

6) They just ain't needed

1. Good point.
    2. Still moot IMO.
    3. Doubt it will add that much weight or slow you down
    4. 3. above x 1000
    5. furry muff.
    6. for racing pros maybe, still real benefits for all weather bikes.

juan
    Free Member

plus lets face it if road bike add disk I would ride them as it would be acceptable to ride them in baggies :devil:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

Very few people looked at the bumpf on the Canyon Project 6.8, did they?

I'm sure there will be disc-braked road racing bikes before very long, and that they will be good. I'm also jolly sure I don't personally need one and hope I can carry on buying decently specced rim-braked ones for many years to come. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 121 through 124 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Disc Brakes on Roadbikes – Lance Tweets’ is closed to new replies.