Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Disc brakes on Mail Order bike
  • scoop
    Free Member

If you bought a bike via mail order (boo) would you expect to have to fit the disc to the front wheel?

andyl
    Free Member

depends if it had to be off to stop it getting damaged in transit.

Is it a big deal?

scoop
    Free Member

Well I’m not sure, I don’t have a torque wrench, there were no instructions sent and as far as the shop knew the bike was for a non cycling family bike as a child’s bike.

kayla1
    Free Member

Dunno. It’s not a big deal. I wouldn’t be writing to my MP about it or owt. In fact I’d probably just think ‘oh, one more thing to spanner before I ride my new bike and I can make sure it’s fitted right, that was nice of them.’ 😀

edit- I’ve just read your reply and with all due respect, FFS. Just nip them up assuming there’s Loctite on the threads, if there’s not stick a dab on and nip them up.

scoop
    Free Member

I’m not really asking about what you would do, I wanted to know if a bike that has sent mail order to a person who could be expected not to have any mechanical knowledge should be sent out with work needing to be done and with no instructions included.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.
    or No.
    Maybe.

tomhoward

All bikes will have a disclaimer in the book that comes with it saying that the bike must be built by a trained mechanic, Be that in the shop or by taking it to your LBS if mail order.

nealglover
    Free Member

I wanted to know if a bike that has sent mail order to a person who could be expected not to have any mechanical knowledge should be sent out with work needing to be done and with no instructions included.

Seems ok to me.

Nobody sends bikes fully built by mail order.

If the receiver needs instructions, then they shouldn’t be building it themselves and should get a mechanic to do it.

scoop
    Free Member

The mail order company say that they carried out a full PDI and then removed the disc and that all my wife needs to do for my 10 year old is to use her trail tool with a torque key to put the disc on. Not sure how she is meant to measure 5Nm.

scoop
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of mail order bikes but never seen one that needs more than the bars, front wheel and pedals putting on.

kayla1
    Free Member

Are you looking for a reason to sue someone or just having a whine?

scoop
    Free Member

Why would I want to sue anyone? I am genuinely interested to know if it is a reasonable way for a bike to be sent out? As I say I have seen several mail order bikes and never seen one sent out like this before.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it causing you a problem that it was sent to you like that ?

Seems like it probably isn’t.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Yes it is fine like others say they always say they require some assembly. It is 6 bolts…

scoop
    Free Member

OK consensus is shut the **** up, stop whinging and get on with it! Cheers

andyl
    Free Member

Never used a torque wrench on brake bolts. Just don’t go silly with the torx key. It should be a size fitted to most decent multitools – I guess it is a bit naughty of them to not send the correct torx key and technically the blue threadlock on them (if there is any) is now useless but no more so than if you took it off to clean it and tbh a barrier to stop them corroding is more important as that makes a mess of your hub.

Just nip them up using one finger on the torx key and that should be about 5nm if that is what they need. you can get torque keys for about £12 from superstar if you must.

What do you do when you adjust brake and shifter angles on your bars? Assuming you do adjust them instead of just riding how they came from the shop?

scoop
    Free Member

My point wasn’t really what I do, I would do exactly as you describe and ‘feel’ about 5Nm. The bike wasn’t sent to me though.. thanks everyone, I shall start to whine about the crap cable routing soon.

firestarter
    Free Member

Personally id prefer them not fitted as less likely to need straightening before use. Which i find is more of a pain than six bolts

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes on Mail Order bike’ is closed to new replies.