Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disc brakes on 1997 S-Works M2 Stumpy
  • krixmeister

Hello,

I’ve got an old (1997 model I believe) Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works M2 (say that three times quickly!), as a spare bike which I would like add a rear disc to. Of course the frame itself is way too old to have original come with disc tabs, hence the question.
    I first checked out the A2Z adaptor (http://www.woollyhatshop.com/view_product.php?id=731) but after some nice communications with the folks at the WoollyHatShop (thanks bunches to them!) they feel the adaptor won’t work on my frame – apparently certain Specialized models won’t work – something to do with the shape of the dropout.
    I investigated the Woodman Disco adaptor (http://www.woodmancomponents.com/catalog/categorie.php?cat=dis&lang=en) but the site mentions they recommend their own hub. I’m guessing the adaptor will work with any hub, but don’t know.
    So – any ideas? Any experience with either of these products, or any others, on a similar Stumpy frame? I’ve posted a pic of the dropout (left-hand side) in case that helps at all at http://www.flickr.com/photos/krixmeister/3365488667/

Any help/ideas appreciated!

–Kristan

thepodge
    Free Member

i’m sure you could get some one to weld one on. i should be on commission for vernon barker cycles in sheffield

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry to bring the bad news. I had the exact same frame, and this was the reason I sold it in the end. Looked down the route of the A2Z adapter, but it was obvious it wasn’t going to work. Couldn’t find any other options either.

Shame, I had that bike for almost 6 years. I loved it, and miss it loads, but ultimately I just couldn’t be dealing with V brakes any more once I’d moved over to discs on my other bike!

peajay

I have a 95 s-works, and managed to cut out a bit of the A2Z adapter to make it fit past the weld on the drop out, though I never managed to try it with disc brakes as I bought another bike before I tried it, the s-works still gets used for kiddy duties, probably would have stayed my main bike if it had disc tabs. Lovely bike but I realy notice how geometry has changed when I ride my hummer,
    happy days,
    PJ.

AdamM
    Free Member

I have a 1999 or 2000 M2 Stumpjumper (blue/orange) frame. Specialized made an adapter plate that attached to a hole in the dropout and the V-brake mount. I don’t know if the same adapter plate can be used on older M2 frames but that might be worth a try? Is that hole on your dropout threaded for a rack mount? If it’s drilled through without threading then that is a good indication the same adapter plate might work for you too.

I got mine on a special order through Evans Cycles for £25 or so, although that was 4 years ago. Could be worth asking?

I’ve got a few pics here I could send you by email, I’d post them here but they aren’t on my Flickr account. adammonline AT gmail DOT com

sobriety
    Free Member

The specialized disc adaptor should work, i fitted one to my 1998 rockhopper. It had the threaded hole for a rack,which is too small, so I had to drill the hole out to make the adaptor fit.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah i’ve seen that specialized disc adaptor before, unwieldy looking thing but works supposedly:

ChrisA
    Free Member

also been looking for one of these, any idea what is is / where its from?

sobriety
    Free Member

I don’t know if they sell them anymore, probably best to give spesh a ring and find out. They also used to come in black, which is a touch more subtle!

ScotlandTheScared

Like peejay, I adapted an a2z adapter by cutting it to that it fitted around the weld on the seatstay. It worked and was cheap. However, you’d be better off with one of the adapters that bolts to the brake boss because to get the wheel out of the a2z, you have to remove the entire skewer, which I hate. I’ve actually gone back to xtr v brakes instead of putting up with that! The woodman one may well work with your hub – maybe it simply requires you to space the hub differently?

Or you could ask someone like BETD to make you an adapter like the specialized one? Worth a try…

nickjb
    Free Member

The spesh adapters work really well. Much better than the A2Z. Once its fitted there is no extra faff in removing the wheel. I got mine through a spesh dealer, they had to order it in, though.

krixmeister

Thanks everyone for all the help. I called up Specialized UK to see about tracking down one of their adaptors – they were extremely helpful, but as the device has been out of production for so long they didn’t have any ideas where to source. I tried calling Evans cycles (as mentioned by AdamM), but they weren’t able to locate. A quick look through eBay didn’t turn up anything either.

Anyone have any other ideas where to get one of the Specialized adaptors?

krixmeister

Also – AdamM – I couldn’t figure out how to private message you, so yes would greatly appreciate if you could post me some more pix of your Specialized adaptor – in case I need to try to get one manufactured somehow! Email me at kristanATfortaugustusDOTcom. Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes on 1997 S-Works M2 Stumpy’ is closed to new replies.