Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Disc brakes for XC = daft
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

Completely unnecessary with the only one advantage being the buckled wheel scenario.
    Bleeding brakes?!

How dare the industry force this crap on me!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wrong or poor troll.

SHame on you in either case.

NEXT!

grum
    Free Member

Ooooh controversial! 😐

GW
    Free Member

Massively agree with op.

boltonjon

Utter rubbish

Just imagine changing your rims every year through brake wear

Its like riding in the early 90s

smell_it
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw[/video]

Yeah OP, fight the system!

muddyfunster
    Free Member

If the OP is right it’s a damning indictment for XC. If the OP is wrong it’s a win for XC. Either way, tis but a poor troll.

6079smithw
    Free Member

boltonjon – Member

Utter rubbish

Just imagine changing your rims every year through brake wear

Its like riding in the early 90s
    I’ve got a 1990 Courier Comp on its original rims.
    Methinks you’re the one who hangs out with Oscar the Grouch i.e. talks trash

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I had a bike where the rims collapsed from wear to say nothing of the fat its nice to have brakes that work consistently. But then I ride bikes all year round and most days

disc may not be essential – I rode without them for decades but they sure as heck make life better.

I wouldn’t get a bike without now

aracer
    Free Member

Wouldn’t this have worked better as a troll about 10 years ago?

nedrapier

If the OP is right it’s a damning indictment for XC. If the OP is wrong it’s a win for XC. Either way, it’s all XC

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

get a pair of decent cable discs – DONE

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

6079smithw, you are so made up.

float
    Free Member

Massively agree with op.

as the saying goes; great trolls think alike.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I like what you did there nedrapier. I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and that suspension will never catch on.

mboy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t this have worked better as a troll about 10 years ago?

Hang on a second whilst I answer the phone…

“What’s that you say…? You’re 2002, and your want your internet troll back?” 😉

Anyway, one man’s XC, is another man’s extreme freeride, is another man’s bimble round the local park. And whilst you don’t need discs to be able to ride a bike offroad, on my “xc” rides I usually find enough interesting trails that point downwards that make me glad of having good quality disc brakes fitted to my bikes.

And is it just me that thinks the occasional bleed (like once every couple of years) of a disc brake system is far less hassle than constant adjustment of cables and pad angles as the pads wear on a V brake system? Not forgetting the wheels needing to be 100% in shape at all times to avoid rubbing on the pads.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bike. Completely unnecessary for XC. the only advantage over walking is that it’s quicker.

BruceWee

Still on the original rims from 1990? That’s nothing, I’m still on my original pads from 1990.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve still got my original feet from 1970. My teeth and nuts are newer though.

njee20
    Free Member

disc may not be essential – I rode without them for decades but they sure as heck make life better.
    I wouldn’t get a bike without now

This.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

you lot bite so easily

continuity
    Free Member

And I’d hoped to get in here before the luddite of post#4.

kimbers

to be fair ive had this ‘argument’ with a roadie in a pub, was about 4 years ago, and im still annoyed that he refused to accept he was talking bollox

6079smithw
    Free Member

-Carrying a load of toxic fluid in your bike. Nice
    -Turn your bike upside down to change a puncture. Then no braking available at the next corner. Genius.
    -If I want to buy an Orange/Cotic/whatever else STW stereotype hardtail frame then it won’t have V/canti mounts. But more likely it will have options or arrangements to run it without gears like a true luddite (or child’s bike).
    Absolutley effin crazy.

continuity
    Free Member

>Mineral Oil

>Toxic Fluid

>Unbled Brakes

Try harder please.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You turn your bike upside down to fix a puncture?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

[/quote]-Turn your bike upside down to change a puncture. Then no braking available at the next corner. Genius.

Seriously? has this ever happened, really.
    Urban myth.

tomhoward

Light your house with candles do you? It’s called progress, deal with it.

khani
    Free Member

I agree, loads of crap forced upon us by the Man ..what about tyres?? Load of oblocks IMO, Nowt wrong with wooden rims, and bearings!!! Who really needs em eh? Bit of lard an bobs your uncle..Fanny’s your aunt..and dicks your mums best friend! 😀
    Innovation my arse!!!…..

6079smithw
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member

Light your house with candles do you? It’s called progress, deal with it. Ah yes, but there’s the choice to do so, even if I bought a new house.

And what part of singlespeed is progress again?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bored now, night all!

johnnystorm

Having put together my old Chameleon as an SS winter bike I have to admit that for tight singletrack once its got fresh pads on it discs don’t offer much advantage.

mboy
    Free Member

One man’s XC…

Another man’s XC…

Would be happy using V brakes for one, but not the other…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’m happy to have my rims last for 5 years, rather than 2 thanks. Wet weather v braking with mud on the rims? No thank you.

chiefgrooveguru

If you ran tubeless you wouldn’t be stopping to fix punctures. Anyway, I often turn my bike upside to clean/lube the drivetrain and it never affects the brakes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Another mans XC – and the only place V Braked bikes should be is left in the garage

chiefgrooveguru

If the OP can keep up downhill with some of the XCers I ride with on a bike like this:

then I’d be very impressed. If not then maybe the possibility that other riders are quicker and benefit from technological progress should be considered…

mboy
    Free Member

I started this thread a while ago on here, to prompt people to discuss what they thought the single biggest technological advance with Mountain Bikes in the last 10 years… Lots of people of course said disc brakes, but I discounted disc brakes purely cos discs have been widely available for mountain bikes (for good reason) for 15 years or more, so are outside of the time frame I specified!

Rose tinted specs are nice, and my XTR V Brake setup with Mavic ceramic rims and ceramic pads, with fully sealed goretex cables, was all well and good back in the day as it was about as good as V brakes got. And they worked pretty well in the dry, at low to medium speeds. At high speeds, or in the wet though, and they were of course very poor compared to any reasonable disc setup.

Northwind

6079smithw – Member
    -Turn your bike upside down to change a puncture. Then no braking available at the next corner. Genius.

I am prepared to concede that disk brakes, when set up badly by a cretin, and also ridden by a cretin, are worse than V brakes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes for XC = daft’ is closed to new replies.