Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Disc braked winter road bike – what are the options?
  • pdw
    Free Member

The N+1 bug is biting, and given that my current winter road bike is 20 years old, I’m thinking that’s my best excuse. What are the options for a road frame with disc brakes and proper mudguard fixings and clearance?

The Kinesis Racelight 4S disc looks very nice. Also looked at the Genesis Equilibrium. Anything else I should look at?

I’m after a “proper” road bike, rather than a CX or do-it-all commuter type frame.

jimdubleyou

Looking on road.cc, pretty much every big brand is putting discs on their road bikes so the options are almost limitless 🙂

pdw
    Free Member

Yep, although the requirement for proper mudguard mounts and clearance narrows it down significantly.

I’d previously overlooked the Orbea Avant on their 2016 round-up, but apart from that it seems to be the two “do-everything” bikes at the bottom, neither of which appeal.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/170168-2016s-hottest-disc-equipped-road-bikes

aP
    Free Member

Mason?

mrblobby
    Free Member

mboy
    Free Member

Yep, although the requirement for proper mudguard mounts and clearance narrows it down significantly.

There’s not many that tick these boxes sadly! It seems that most non British manufacturers still don’t understand our need for full mudguards and decent sized tyres through the winter…

So… Buy British! I can confirm that all the Whyte range of road bikes, from sub £800 to over £3k all fit full mudguards and up to 28c tyres. I ran a Whyte Dorset last winter, and genuinely it was fantastic as a winter bike!

Have just bought a Saracen Avro to replace it… The only criticism of the Whyte was that it was over 10kg in weight, the Saracen being carbon and higher spec is 1.5kg lighter. The Avro crucially still has clearance for 28c tyres and mudguards, but also bolt thru axles front and back. Stripped the 105 off mine, and have put a SRAM Force 1×11 hydro setup on it for the ultimate low maintenance winter bike!

jet26
    Free Member

Pinnacle dolomite and cannondale synapse both worth a look.

The dolomite at 1000 for hydraulic discs and 105 is good value.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

CAAD 10 disc with PDW fenders is the only way. All the others you end up with dead long chainstays/slack head angles/really tall stack heights; no fun to ride at all.

pdw
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. That Pinnacle Dolomite does look like incredibly good value, particularly as I was after something with hydraulic 105s.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Been looking at this too.

Also consider:-

18Bikes Monsal
    Cotic Escapade
    Kona Roadhouse

My issue is over fork choice. Having got a new summer road bike this year, I’m amazed at how much stiffer, more precise and more confidence inspiring a tapered fork is. Add in the extra power of disc brakes, and there’s no way I’d want a staright 1 1/8″ fork. Currently though, there’s very poor availability on full carbon tapered forks with disc and guard mounts. TRP and Whisky Parts only I think.

All the others you end up with dead long chainstays/slack head angles/really tall stack heights; no fun to ride at all.

Kinda with you here – it’s one of the nice things about the Monsal – the stack height is halfway sensible (although it’s CX length stays). Personally, so long as the fit is right, I’m happy to go with slightly slower handling, as it should be a little safer in marginal grip conditions, and will make me look forward to getting the summer bike out again!

geetee1972
    Free Member

There’s not many that tick these boxes sadly! It seems that most non British cyclists manufacturers still don’t understand our the benefit need for of full mudguards and decent sized tyres through the winter…

FIFY

For an upmarket option have a look at Enigma. They can sell you a range of frames and builds in both steel and titanium and both customer and stock.

BigDummy
    Free Member

CharlietheBikeMonger has Salsa Colossals cheap.

Whyte Suffolk and upwards? I think those all take guards.

faustus

I want a Tifosi Cavazzo which looks versatile while still sporty, or the Andare for more more sport/less clearance…

scotroutes

Van Nicholas Amazon. Also it’s Ti so not affected by salt corrosion

andyfla
    Free Member

Kinesis GF-Ti disc – I rode the std gf last year, jumped on a demo bike and rode 200k – lovely ride, the ti seemed to take all the harsh judder out of the marvellous british roads – its been redesigned to take inline disc brakes as well

Liked it so much I bought an tripster atr 😆

ransos
    Free Member

All the others you end up with dead long chainstays/slack head angles/really tall stack heights; no fun to ride at all.

My Mason rides beautifully, just as much fun as the Wilier it replaced.

dragon
    Free Member

Also consider:-

18Bikes Monsal
    Cotic Escapade
    Kona Roadhouse

No don’t none of these are proper winter road bikes IMO, all are a kind of weird heavy gravel type bikes (i.e. road bikes for mtbers, who don’t get road bikes).

If you have money then look at a Sabbath SEPTEMBER AR-1 DISC

dragon
    Free Member

Also Bowman Pilgrims will apparently take mudguards, although I’d check with them.

pete68
    Free Member

The sabbath September ar1 is a lovely bike. There are 2 of them sat in the my dining room at the moment. Both have done about 5000 miles this year including the transcontinental race.

vintagewino
    Free Member

loving my CAAD10 disc, takes 28s no problem, upgraded the pads to some nice SwissStop ones and lost the inch-high conical headset thing and its ace. Wheels are a bit heavy but fine for winter. No guards though.

philwarren11
    Free Member

PX London Road?

avdave2

I’ve just fitted the Speedshield Guards Giant now make for the Defy Advanced and while there are no proper mounts they were easier to fit and rattle a lot less than the SKS chromoplastics on my Croix de Fer. The frame and guards have clearance for up to 28mm tyres and worked really well on a wet ride on Sunday.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve recently got one of these, very pleased with it…

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-disc/equilibrium-disc-10

therevokid
    Free Member

my mason rides better my gf ti …. which really surprised me !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Disc braked winter road bike – what are the options?’ is closed to new replies.