Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disc braked Defy's – internal hoses and water drains ?
  • iainc

I have a 2016 Defy Advanced Pro 2, with internal routing. The back brake hose goes in through an open oversized hole at the top left of the downtube, which to me looks like a likely place for water ingress.

Have looked at a few others, and some online clips, like this one

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAqHuEXf2I[/video]

and there is no seal on the hole. (I wondered if mine was missing something) Where does the water go, or more to the point, where does it come back out ?

otsdr
    Free Member

I believe all internally routed frames have a big hole underneath the BB used when threading the cables to the chainstay?

benp1

Good question. My arkose has an open hole on the down tube (as it has internal routing for a front mech but doesn’t come with one)

I’ve put a bit of tape over the top to cover it but I’ve always wondered about this

iainc

otsdr, ah, makes sense. Mine has a plastic cover/guide of sorts on bottom of frame there, so it probably incorporates a water drain, cheers

otsdr
    Free Member

iainc

nice one, cheers. I am at work, so can’t look at mine 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

There is a grommet on my Defy-it doesnt fit particulalrly well so may be yours has fallen off? Just going to use a bit of self amalgamating tape on mine now.

iainc

jimw, thanks – nothing on mine, or the 2 others I looked at in the shop, or the one in that video clip I posted, so pretty sure it doesn’t come with one, though I think it should !

avdave2

I have the disk equipped Defy and it does look a bad design, not in terms of water into the frame which will drain but into the cable outer.

jimw
    Free Member

Ianc since I picked mine up brand new from the shop yesterday, perhaps it was something they have added to later builds?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Only thing is check is if the seat tube is open at the bottom. I’ve seen a few models that aren’t.

iainc

jimw – that sounds pretty likely, as it seem a bit of an omission, particularly when there are grommets on the other openings for the gear cabling

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Disc braked Defy's – internal hoses and water drains ?’ is closed to new replies.