Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Disc brake rotor cleaner?
  • james
    Free Member

Whats the stuff you're supposed to use to clean your rotor if you get hydraulic fluid on it?

Is it something I can get hold of easily without having to buy a bike (ripoff) version?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Soap and water. Lots of it – or washing powder but rinse very well.

Or any degreaser

rolfharris
    Free Member

Meths is pretty good (not white spirit!), and I think it is (essentially) nail varnish remover in a spray that muc off sell as disc brake cleaner. The proper stuff is better than meths, though, and it doesn't half make you light headed.

I'd say, meths first then proper Muc Off Disc Brake Cleaner if that won't sort it.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Try Isopropyl Alcohol (B&Q, Homebase, etc.), also known as rubbing alcohol.

Cheap, and leaves no residue. Put some on a paper towel, clean disc, wipe off with clean paper towel.

Job done.

EDIT: Don't use this inisde! The vapours can mess with your head, even outside I still had a headache after cleaning both discs.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

can of brake and clutch leaner from halfords, about £3

sobriety
    Free Member

Maplins does IPA as well.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

Don't use brake and clutch cleaner!

It can leave a residue that's fine for cars because the heavy duty brakes burn it off, bikes can't do that.

uplink
    Free Member

EDIT: Don't use this inisde! The vapours can mess with your head, even outside I still had a headache after cleaning both discs.

Wuss 😉

I've never noticed any effects from it & I use it inside on electrical stuff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake rotor cleaner?’ is closed to new replies.