Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 240 total)
  • Disc Brake injuries at Paris Roubaix
  • TheDoctor
    Free Member

Ventoso injured by disc brake at Paris-Roubaix

Spaniard undergoes surgery to close wound

Hopefully this will be the end of them for a while!

For all the Hype about road discs making you 1000000 times faster, no disc bikes troubled the podium or top places 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Yeah. Nearly as dangerous as having a massive ring covered in sharp teeth fitted to every bike. Wonder when they’ll be banned?

cloudnine
    Free Member

OP.. Don’t knock road hydros till you’ve tried them.. Especially in the wet

hora
    Free Member

Better change back to V brakes on my mtb

egb81
    Free Member

I’m not sure anyone has claimed that road disc brakes will make you faster, just that they’ll slow you down more reliably. Did you see the number of crashed at the Lourdes DH World cup on the weekend? I wonder how many disc brake injuries there were with bikes cartwheeling on top of riders so frequently?

rOcKeTdOg

I think Viviani was more concerned with the disc brakes on that motorbike than what Lampre or DE were using

Did you see the number of crashed at the Lourdes DH World cup on the weekend? I wonder how many disc brake injuries there were with bikes cartwheeling on top of riders so frequently?

Maybe the pro peleton should be wearing the full face helmets and full body armour the DHers do?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Were there other injuries as well or is the use of the word injuries in the thread title when injury would hav been more appropriate indicative of the inflammatory nature of the post ?

simondbarnes

Yawn

TheDoctor
    Free Member

hora – Member

Better change back to V brakes on my mtb

Disc brakes off road is a completely different argument and a no brainer, on road as last weekend showed, what do they really bring?? Only 3 teams used them!

There is ONE advantage to discs and thats lack of rim wear, but even my non disc winter wheels are onto their 4th winter, so wear isnt really an issue either!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m sure a pan-flat course is the ideal testing ground 🙄

simondbarnes

There is ONE advantage to discs and thats lack of rim wear

Disc brakes are massively superior to rim brakes in the wet. So that’s two things at least.

bruneep
    TheDoctor
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member

There is ONE advantage to discs and thats lack of rim wear

Disc brakes are massively superior to rim brakes in the wet. So that’s two things at least.

ooh yes because 2x 1cm square contact patches will really cope with that wont they 🙄

simondbarnes

ooh yes because 2x 1cm square contact patches will really cope with that wont they

They do. Remarkably well in fact.

hora
    Free Member

OK, is it definitely? Or ‘reportdly’? Peeps quick to jump on the haterz agenda?

Second how many injuries over time has various parts of a road bike interacted with a rider?

What is this red-top reporting?

What next VENTOSO KIDNAPPED AND PROBED BY ALIENS

scaredypants

Meh, be fair to the op, mtb racers don’t often have mass pile-ups like roadies do – where the front of your bike might ram the leg of a guy in the road in front, though there are plenty of sharp/stabby bits of a bike already

Not sure why P-R, of almost all races, needs discs though, especially in a “dry” running – no real descents, very slippy surfaces where even accelerating hard could make you skid, …

Seems very little info on the true nature of the injury – not even a pic as far as I could see in 30 seconds on google. Do we “know” it was a brake rotor ?

Maybe they could engineer in a nice smooth, maybe thickened?, rim into road rotors – if genuinely necessary

Sandwich

And a yawn from me too.

cookeaa

I heard disc braked road bikes can actually give you the AIDS, Hitler invented them and they randomly attack small children… FACT!

scotroutes

and then cover it in an air-filled rubber tube to act as a “bumper”?

crazy-legs

Sooner or later a disc-braked bike will win a big race and it’ll be like when Paul Lazonby (?) won that XC race on a full sus Marin. Suddenly they’ll be really commonplace.

dragon
    Free Member

I dunno as people have won on them in cyclo-cross and yet there are still plenty of pros running cantis. I think this is one area where the general cyclist will drive the market rather than the pros.

Northwind

TheDoctor – Member

ooh yes because 2x 1cm square contact patches will really cope with that wont they

Well yes. Have you ever ridden a bike?

imnotverygood

Luddites gonna Ludd.

garage-dweller

No story there at all. A pushbike had plenty of sticky out bits to get hit and cut by. My worst is probably stabbing a hole in my thigh with a brake lever. 😥 I’m not convinced that should be removed from all bikes.

DezB
    Free Member

Wondering how this ruling will effect the OP’s riding…

cookeaa

Less mention of his teammate Oliveira also injured, fell and fractured his collarbone…

No disc brakes involved, its almost as if injuries could happen to any pro-cyclist irrespective of the proximity of a disc braked devil bike…

I think this is one area where the general cyclist will drive the market rather than the pros.

To a certain extent you’re right, but I think the manufacturers are conscious of the “legitimising” effect that professional use of certain bits of kit has on the wider (racing and non-racing) market.

TBH I don’t think discs are necessarily that advantageous for most road racing, but then without them being put into use we’ll never know, and they’re not actually compulsory simply an option…

butcher

I read the original articles about this today, and to be honest, they didn’t even seem certain what the injuries were caused by.

You’d surely have to be pretty unlucky to slice yourself open on a disc? Not doubting it’s possible, but much easier to cut yourself in half on a chain ring, or lose a kidney from a pedal, I would’ve thought. I can’t imagine the actual risk is that great. And given the extra safety disc brakes potentially offer, it’s got to balance out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah. Nearly as dangerous as having a massive ring covered in sharp teeth fitted to every bike. Wonder when they’ll be banned?

Comedy argument this one. So having one dangerous component already on a bike makes it ok to add another two 😆

garage-dweller

There is a definite anti disc sentiment out there.

Some (on my reading of it) real anti sentiment in the CTC mag a couple of months ago in an article that from my perspective had more holes in it than a giant Emmenthal.

There’s a way to go yet before they’re mainstream accepted but I predict it will come. I’m fine with dual pivots on the road bike but I’d be very inclined to go disc next time for lack of rim wear and wet weather performance.

wilburt
    Free Member

Wahooo.!!

Its another disc brake thread.

xyeti
    Free Member

The ‘Dangers” anticipated in the Peleton were more to do with some Teams using Disks out braking those without creating problems when bunching going into turns etc. The UCI highlighted “Burns” as a potential risk in a collision with other riders but as has been mentioned above the PR isn’t the best place to test how much heat you can get into a rotor, Wheel changes were also a contributing factor for the PR i suppose with most teams sticking to the tried and trusted QR over a bolt through skewer, AND getting a rotor to sit between those pads is a right PITA, It can’t just be me who sways about like a drunken bum trying to focus on both pads whilst slotting the disk carefully in.

garage-dweller

Comedy argument this one. So having one dangerous component already on a bike makes it ok to add another two

Looked at in isolation that could be said but there are other factors like improved and consistent braking in cruddy conditions that might influence accident rates (either way) and performance advantage weighed against injury risks that teams and the UCI will no doubt weigh up. They’re a much less exposed slicer risk than a chainring IMO.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’m just about to buy some Roadie Discs and now armed with this new information I’m not sure if I should.

I’m wondering though if I run a lower tyre pressure would that make things safer on 28c tyre opposed to a 25c tyre?

wilburt
    Free Member

I would feel a little uncomfortable riding a chaingang with folk on disc braked bikes, its an unnecessary hazard.

Fortunately, to date, I haven’t seen any riders with them, probably due to others feeling the same and also because most people will have two or three bikes so compatibility is important.

This compatibility issue will matter less to people just joining the sport so perhaps they’ll get a hold in time but for me with maybe one more new bike in me, they are definitely not an option.

Depends what you do with a bike as to whether they have merit, for sports cycling I just dont see the need.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They want to tarmac them cobbles while they’re st it, too.

philjunior
    Free Member

Some pretty extreme views here!
    Let’s be honest, the chance of getting hurt by a disc are pretty low. And on the road discs aren’t going to make you faster, being as they are marginally heavier and less aero, but there are advantages for us mere mortals.

cookeaa

To my mind the main advantage of using disc brakes is that you no longer have to accommodate braking at the rim, freeing the engineers to improve the rim profile, weight and tyres, lighter, aero-section carbon rims, with wider tubs or tubeless tyres, all with consistent braking? Cake and eat it? Who knows…

skaifan
    Free Member

Roadies seem weird. Too many rules.

rOcKeTdOg

The faster rate my road disc equipt buddy slows down has been a factor for those of us behind him who are on rim brakes. Makes your reactions quicker & you plan ahead for braking zones. But his brakes work on the mucky roads around here whilst ours just sound gritty, you can almost feel the money being worn off the rims

TiRed

In a mass pile up – the sort you see almost every day in the pro peleton – it would be nice to have one less sharp thing to fall on. And I don’t think it is the falling onto one’s own disk that is a problem.

I’m a luddite, but I think disk brakes have no place on a race bike and are something nobody in the pro ranks was calling for. Wider tyres to go faster, however…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘Disc Brake injuries at Paris Roubaix’ is closed to new replies.